Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
On the contrast of character design between the two trilogies.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sycorax82
Rohan

Oct 5 2013, 6:54pm

Post #26 of 38 (277 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit is much harder to get right [In reply to] Can't Post

For a start, you've got to create 13 Dwarves, all with unique looks, then you've got totally out there characters like Beorn. How exactly do you get him right?? If he was simply a big guy that would be pretty boring.

Avnar
Lorien

Oct 5 2013, 10:59pm

Post #27 of 38 (236 views)
Shortcut
I disagree. [In reply to] Can't Post

They did not need to create 13 unique designs for the dwarves - line up 13 hobbits and I will be able to tell you who is who! Does Peter Jackson think we are stupid?

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Oct 5 2013, 11:12pm

Post #28 of 38 (228 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for all the comments! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sorry I can't answer each of them, but I've found many interesting things in your posts: I hadn't taken into account Hagrid, for example... also I agree with the poster who said designs were unsubtle, which is a spot-on way to put it.

Everything seems a bit over the top... and some thing even a little artificial, like Beorn's hair and beard. That also tends to happen with other characters, even while Balin is one of the best-looking dwarves, his beard doesn't move naturally at times. I agree with the poster who said Dwalin is one of the better designs. He looks different, but natural and dwarven.

I do have a problem with Kili, who looks way too human, and Thorin is constantly treading that line.

Costumes tend to look strange at times... I don't know. I also agree that perhaps it wasn't necessary to try and make every dwarf so distinct, I also hadn't taken into account that it was another costume designer, which could explain quite a bit.

I don't necessarily agree with the poster who said it was Del Toro's influence. I think some of the better designs have "Del Toro" written all over it, including, as someone said, the much-better-than-expected Thranduil, and both Thror and Thrain.

That said, I do believe it's a design issue, or perhaps even a perception one. The movie's great, and I'm incredibly glad they managed to take it off development hell.

Visit Mexico from A to Z! Index to the whole series here.
Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 5 2013, 11:39pm

Post #29 of 38 (224 views)
Shortcut
But what about the general audience ... the ones that aren't familiar with the characters and story line? [In reply to] Can't Post

Merry, Pippin, Frodo and Sam are distinguishable because there are only four of them, and they split off and have their only prominent story lines. But if you had 13 Gimli's, with some being more prominent than others, then how would the general audience keep up?

We're able to keep up with each Dwarf because we discuss them every single day. Each Dwarf is already ingrained within us, and already distinguishable (whether we think of the film design, or our own cognitive [book] design). Having 13 unique designs isn't for our benefit, it's for the majority of the audience. Everyone, whether they are new to the story or not, needs to be able to point to each character and know their name instantly.

Yes, I think the more traditional Gimli-design is "better", but certainly, in The Hobbit films, it would be a lot more difficult for the audience to remember who's who if they were less unique.

Smile

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Oct 5 2013, 11:44pm)

Old Pilgrim
Rivendell

Oct 6 2013, 5:20am

Post #30 of 38 (186 views)
Shortcut
Just take for example [In reply to] Can't Post

those four Dwarves at the Council of Elrond http://www.fantasyplanet.cz/...01_12_7_14_52_12.jpg

They look all very traditional but would the audince distinguish them during the movie? If each of them would have different personality definitely, but now we have to add nine more dwarves to them and now we have big problems. I am certain that filmmakers could create 13 traditional Gimli-design dwarves with different characters and I wouldn't mine, but as your already posted the majority of the audience would.

But still they could work a little bit more on Dwarves and make some of them more Dwarvish without this Gimli comparisson. For example Thorin looks great here http://www.thehobbitblog.com/...s/2013/03/Thorin.jpg (I prefer the first version on the left) but they wanted to make them more human like and they were successful.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 6 2013, 9:56am

Post #31 of 38 (170 views)
Shortcut
I believe that The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

designs are further from our collective imagination and therefor from our expectations than were those of Peter's Lord of the Rings. There is cognitive dissonance and we have to be won over. It is not the quality of the work but a difference of vision.

Oh and by the way: It is good to see you round, Compa.

KS

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Elskidor
Rohan

Oct 6 2013, 10:05pm

Post #32 of 38 (132 views)
Shortcut
Love the Dwarfs all except... [In reply to] Can't Post

Kili. Kili is the only one with major concern, when it comes to appearing like a Dwarf. He just doesn't. Looks wasy to close to human. Where is the facial hair? I like all the rest of the designs throughout the movie though.

WAIT! No, the bird crap on Radagast is moronic. Hate it. That was a terrible idea. Who the hell is going to take a wizard with bird crap on his head seriously? Poor Wizzy.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 6 2013, 10:52pm

Post #33 of 38 (120 views)
Shortcut
The future King Arthur. [In reply to] Can't Post

Who the hell is going to take a wizard with bird crap on his head seriously?

"Merlyn had a long white beard and long white moustaches which hung down on either side of it. Close inspection showed that he was far from clean. It was not that he had dirty fingernails, or anything like that, but some large bird seemed to have been nesting in his hair...The old man was streaked with droppings over his shoulders, among the stars and triangles of his gown..."

- T.H. White, The Once and Future King

(Could have been worse! Wink)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

imin
Valinor

Oct 6 2013, 10:53pm

Post #34 of 38 (113 views)
Shortcut
A bad idea is still a bad idea // [In reply to] Can't Post

'What's the matter with you?' - J.R.R. Tolkien

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 7 2013, 12:11am

Post #35 of 38 (107 views)
Shortcut
Not a fan [In reply to] Can't Post

of the bird crap in his hair. Crazy

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 7 2013, 7:35pm

Post #36 of 38 (70 views)
Shortcut
The Bird Droppings [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that the birds (and their leavings) that nest under Radagast's hat are perfect for the character. He is after all a bit of a dingbat and a back to nature guy. I am sure that Merlin or Saint Francis would not have gotten too concerned about a bit of bird poo.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 7 2013, 9:53pm

Post #37 of 38 (54 views)
Shortcut
The birds [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have an issue with the birds being there. As a matter of fact I actually like them and I love the character . It's just the bird poop I find nasty.

Elskidor
Rohan

Oct 7 2013, 11:29pm

Post #38 of 38 (44 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I don't have an issue with the birds being there. As a matter of fact I actually like them and I love the character . It's just the bird poop I find nasty.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.