The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Create your own Fellowship!

Boromir Stark
Rivendell

Oct 4 2013, 2:17pm

Post #1 of 25 (681 views)
Shortcut
Create your own Fellowship! Can't Post

After all the recent uproar about Beorn and his new look, I began to think more about his character and what he'll be like in the movies. From there I got to wondering about how the story would have unfolded if Beorn had joined the company of Dwarves and aided them on the rest of their quest, and from there I wondered how the Quest of the Ring would have differed if the Fellowship were composed of a 9 different characters to those we know and love.

I then put together my own Fellowship of varied characters, and came up with:

1. Gandalf
2. Aragorn
3. Boromir
4. Legolas
5. Sam Gamgee
6. Beorn
7. Dain Ironfoot
8. Thorin Oakenshield
9. Faramir

Not a massive deviation from the 9 we've come to know as I've kept 5 of the originals, but a fairly varied company, I think, of mixed personalities and capabilities.

And so I ask: what would your ideal Fellowship look like? Try not to pick the 9 most powerful characters from Tolkien's lore, but a good mix of characters encompassing a range of capabilities and personalites. And how do you think the Quest would have went had it been your Fellowship that undertook it?

Maciliel
Valinor

Oct 4 2013, 3:27pm

Post #2 of 25 (511 views)
Shortcut
but... [In reply to] Can't Post

...your list is missing the most important person... the ringbearer (!)

no frodo. no ring. no quest.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 4 2013, 4:51pm

Post #3 of 25 (497 views)
Shortcut
Alternate Fellowship [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd like to see

1. Gandalf
2. Aragorn
3. Faramir
4. Glorfindel
5. Sam Gamgee
6. Frodo
7. Gimli
8. Elladan
9. Elrohir

As just one possible permutation. Reasons:
1. Faramir wouldn't be problematic like Boromir. I'd hope he wouldn't die, though.
2. I'd love to see Glorfindel along. Maybe he could kill a Balrog again, and combined with Gandalf, maybe neither would die.
3. I always wish I knew more about the sons of Elrond. They'd have Aragorn's tracking skills plus that great bloodline--who knows what powers they'd have?
4. With all the other Elves present, I wouldn't see a need for Legolas.

Great idea, Boromir!

Maciliel
Valinor

Oct 4 2013, 5:00pm

Post #4 of 25 (493 views)
Shortcut
new fellowship, ringbearer included [In reply to] Can't Post

1. i would not want thorin anywhere near the ring. i think he'd go all boromir on frodo

2. no dain, for the same reasons

3. the only one i'd truly switch out would be faramir for boromir, because it was to be his charge in the first place.

however, if we're +really+ mixing up the fellowship, then...

1. frodo
2. sam
3. gandalf
4. faramir
5. balin
6. aragorn
7. aredhel
8. haleth
9. aragorn

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

(This post was edited by Maciliel on Oct 4 2013, 5:04pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 4 2013, 5:07pm

Post #5 of 25 (480 views)
Shortcut
Interesting inclusion of Aredhel and Haleth! [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileSmileSmile

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Maciliel
Valinor

Oct 4 2013, 5:13pm

Post #6 of 25 (478 views)
Shortcut
i have always thought [In reply to] Can't Post

that tolkien's writings were gender-slanted, and needed some parity. these two would be excellent additions. also, it would be a +terrific+ outlet for aredhel's adventurous impulses.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 4 2013, 5:41pm

Post #7 of 25 (481 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmm.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Galadriel the White
Eowyn
Dora Baggins (Ringbearer)
Rosie Cotton
Estella Bolger
Diamond of Long Cleave
Arwen
Dis
Ioreth

I met a Balrog on the stair,
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today,
I wish he would just fly away.

imin
Valinor

Oct 4 2013, 5:58pm

Post #8 of 25 (478 views)
Shortcut
Fellowship [In reply to] Can't Post

an eagle and frodo, take about 10 mins Tongue

'What's the matter with you?' - J.R.R. Tolkien

Lissuin
Valinor

Oct 4 2013, 8:35pm

Post #9 of 25 (457 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmm, I like it, but [In reply to] Can't Post

not precisely a "fellowship". "Galpals?"

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 4 2013, 8:39pm

Post #10 of 25 (454 views)
Shortcut
They are all sisters in the brotherhood of the fellowship! / [In reply to] Can't Post

I met a Balrog on the stair,
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today,
I wish he would just fly away.

Lissuin
Valinor

Oct 4 2013, 9:12pm

Post #11 of 25 (444 views)
Shortcut
Sisters in the hood.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 4 2013, 11:24pm

Post #12 of 25 (445 views)
Shortcut
Darkstone...Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Goldberry (The Leader of the FemaleSHIP)
2. Galadrial (Kiss your ass goodby, Gandalf)
4. Arwen (Rocks better than Aragorn)
4. Eowyn (She is Better than Boromir, anyday)
5. Lolbelia Sackville-Baggins (Takes no Prisoners, attitude)
6. Rose Cotton ( In CHARGE of Beer/Beverages?)
7. Belladonna Took (A Took Queen should know how to fight?
... it's her genes)
8. Luthien (She could Dance her way out of any Trouble)
9.Okay? Already..
Frodo would have been Fed better?

And there would be No Gollum following this FEMALEship?

Meneldor
Valinor

Oct 4 2013, 11:57pm

Post #13 of 25 (455 views)
Shortcut
Beren, Luthien, Huan, and Finrod. [In reply to] Can't Post

If there's a thing they can't do, that thing can't be done.

EDIT: Unless that thing is on the other side of the sea, in which case we can add Earendil and Elwing into the mix.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

(This post was edited by Meneldor on Oct 4 2013, 11:58pm)

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Oct 5 2013, 12:05pm

Post #14 of 25 (455 views)
Shortcut
There should be a Frodo in there somewhere... [In reply to] Can't Post

...unless, of course, you are giving the Ringbearing task to someone else.

This would be my list (keeping Frodo in Tongue):
1. Gandalf
2. Aragorn
3. Faramir
4. Frodo
5. Sam
6. Legolas
7. Beorn
8. Thorin
9. Tauriel

You might as well have a female character along the way (if it wasn't Tauriel I had chosen it would have been Eowyn). I know Tauriel's a made-up character but I think it would be very interesting if they had her in it Wink
I think the Quest, if my Fellowship undertook it, would go very well. Smile

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.
I can ask no more than that."

...... ~ Thorin Oakenshield

Meneldor
Valinor

Oct 5 2013, 4:52pm

Post #15 of 25 (399 views)
Shortcut
Huan is my ringbearer. [In reply to] Can't Post

Since he can't wear it, he'll be less tempted by it.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Oct 5 2013, 5:11pm

Post #16 of 25 (407 views)
Shortcut
My fellowship [In reply to] Can't Post

Beleg
Young Theoden could have had an epiphany
Gandalf
Finrod
Fingolfin
Tuor
Luthien
Huan
Elendil

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 5 2013, 5:21pm

Post #17 of 25 (395 views)
Shortcut
Even better ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tom Bombadil on an Eagle!

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 5 2013, 6:15pm

Post #18 of 25 (385 views)
Shortcut
*bows to Rembrethil* [In reply to] Can't Post

Way to go for putting Beleg on there. And Tuor.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Oct 5 2013, 6:36pm

Post #19 of 25 (378 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Beleg seemed pretty skilled(AKA the Strongbow). I would have liked the Beleg/Turin combo in a straight fight, but on the Quest???? No!!

Tuor was pretty awesome. He was sort of chosen by Ulmo, whose vetting credentials I cannot impugn. Idril was the brain, but Tuor brought an X factor.

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 5 2013, 6:47pm

Post #20 of 25 (376 views)
Shortcut
Exactly... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tuor is one of my favorite characters. Let's keep Túrin as far away from the Quest as possible, lol! He's bad luck. And not a friendly person to journey with, if I might add.

KasDel
Rivendell

Oct 5 2013, 9:35pm

Post #21 of 25 (358 views)
Shortcut
???? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
1. i would not want thorin anywhere near the ring. i think he'd go all boromir on frodo

2. no dain, for the same reasons

3. the only one i'd truly switch out would be faramir for boromir, because it was to be his charge in the first place.

however, if we're +really+ mixing up the fellowship, then...

1. frodo
2. sam
3. gandalf
4. faramir
5. balin
6. aragorn
7. aredhel
8. haleth
9. aragorn

OK, I am at a loss.... does Aragorn have a twin brother????(#6 and #9), otherwise... not bad.

KasDel the Last

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." Gildor

Maciliel
Valinor

Oct 5 2013, 9:52pm

Post #22 of 25 (357 views)
Shortcut
hah! lmdao! [In reply to] Can't Post

kasdel! you have caught me in unintentional cloning!

ok -- let me edit that (otherwise we'd need two arwens)

1. frodo
2. sam
3. gandalf
4. faramir
5. balin
6. aragorn
7. aredhel (she's from the silmarillion)
8. haleth (she's from the silmarillion)
9. emeldir (mother of beren in the sil), or andreth (also of the sil)

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 7 2013, 1:50am

Post #23 of 25 (332 views)
Shortcut
Whoa... that's hard tofigure. [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, everyone in the Fellowship played such an important part. I wouldn't know who to exclude of the original set. I'd maybe replace Boromir with Faramir... since I think he was originally "chosen" to be a member of the Fellowship.

I'm going to have to really think about this! Great Question :D

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

noWizardme
Half-elven

Oct 9 2013, 11:19am

Post #24 of 25 (305 views)
Shortcut
I will do it! I will give the Ring to Hodor! [In reply to] Can't Post

OK, this isn't exactly a serious suggestion; I just couldn't help myself…

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

elentari3018
Rohan

Oct 10 2013, 1:57am

Post #25 of 25 (385 views)
Shortcut
I like the Fellowship of the female characters! [In reply to] Can't Post

I would just stick in Frodo in there somewhere too. And Huan ;) I loved that you mentioned Frodo would've been fed! hahaha :D I would only exclude Goldberry-- will distract Frodo too much. =)

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.