Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thanks Pilgrim.

Noria
Rohan

Oct 5 2013, 2:03pm

Views: 147
Shortcut
Thanks Pilgrim. [In reply to] Can't Post

This scene starts with Bilbo having his supper. This is one of the rare moments in the first movie when he is living his normal live without any knowledge of the adventure and I find that very nice.

1) Did you imagine Bilbo's ordinary live like this?
-More-or-less. It’s a great scene, showing us that Bilbo is particular, even fussy in the way that he has everything just so as he sits down to eat. He lives alone so naturally he prepares his own meals.

2) How do you find his supper? Would you like to have him as your cook?

-Not what I’d eat before going to bed, but Bilbo is a Hobbit. Dwalin liked the food so Bilbo is probably a good cook.

The Doorbell is ringing but before that we saw a mark on his door and a shadowy figure approaching. I find this a little scary especially because it is dark but I like idea of glowing mark because it sounds more magical then in the book.

3) How did you imagine this scene? Do you like the shadowy figure even before we hear bell ringing?

-Even though it wasn't scary to me since I figured it was a Dwarf at the door, I like the glowing mark and the shadowy figure just fine.

I found bell ringing very nice, because it is not too laud and not too quite and there is something homely in it. Whenever we heard it, we are eager to see the next visitor while Bilbo is ever more confused. Since there were no bell ringing in the Lord of the Rings I am satisfied that they included this from the book.

4) Do you like the sound of doorbell in Bag End? Did you image this scene will look different?

-The doorbell was fine, though like a lot of things in the Shire, it struck me as a bit anachronistic in the largely medieval world of ME. But since I have no idea how long mechanical doorbells have been around in our world, I may be wrong.

Dwalin is the first dwarf of the Company that arrives at Bag End. At this moment Bilbo is still trying to be polite and is showing Dwalin respect by bowing and saying »Bilbo Baggins at yours.« Then we have some comical moments with Dwalin eating Bilbo's dinner and he being completely shocked.

6) What was your first impresion when seeing Dwalin and Bilbo conversation? How did you find his behaviour which could be described as not very nice to Bilbo.

-I thought Dwalin was great, very Dwarvish. After all, he thought he was expected at Bag End, expected to be offered food, and was probably as mystified at Bilbo’s behavior as Bilbo was at the Dwarf’s arrival. Dwalin is just too gruff to care overmuch and probably doesn't see the problem. He did complement Bilbo’s cooking at least.

The next Dwarf that arrives is Balin and he is the only one who showed some respect to our Hobbit. I liked him from that very beginning, his statement about raining is just great and he sounded like a nice grandfather to me.

7) What is your opinion of Balin's introduction?

-Loved Balin from the first moment, he was so genial and straightforward. Ken Stott was superb in this role. It was a great introduction of a very different Dwarf and Bilbo is rightly mystified by the arrival of another one.

8) Did you notice that also Dwarves doesn't know what good evening means? Because Balin was not reffering it as a greeting but rather as a statement.

-Yes I noticed that, and I liked how Balin just rolled with it even though it wasn't the usual Dwarf greeting.

Then we have Kili and Fili, the youngest Dwarves in Thorin's Company. They are the first Dwarves that arrived in pair and contrary to previous two dwarves Bilbo is not so nice anymore. He is even trying to close the door before they want to enter but once they are inside, their behaviour is on the same level than that of Dwalin.

9) How did you like Kili and Fili in this scene? Isn't their behaviour a little inappropriate after they enter Bilbo's home?

For humans and Hobbits, probably not for Dwarves. Again they thought they were expected. I thought the young Dwarves were cute - loved their swagger - and I like the contrast between the two of them and the first arrivals. The thing with all of these Dwarves is that they are obnoxious without meaning to be at all. They are just different.

All other Dwarves arrives together and with them is also Gandalf. I find it funny how they fall in Bag End's hall once Bilbo opened the door as we can guess that they were hungry and tired and their only wish was to eat and sit in warm room. Who knows what Gandalf told them about Bilbo and his home?

10) Did you like that those Dwarves came together or would you prefer individual arrivals like before? And what do you think of this group fall in his hall?

-No, individual arrivals would have taken way too long. The group fall is right out of the book and works in the movie so it’s OK by me.

11) Gandalf was looking like a sinner to me in this scene because of all troubles he brought to Bilbo. Did you also notice that?

-I thought that Gandalf knew that Bilbo would be pissed but didn't care that much.

Now we can talk a little bit about great music from Howard Shore that was funny and light in this very scene. It is a result of Bilbo strange behaviour towards unexpected guests and we also get a hint of magestic dwarven theme from Erebor when dwarves are arriving and later when Dwalin is telling about Thorin's absence. We heard also Blunt the Knives song which shows us just how funny and playful dwarves can be.

13) Do you like those new changes in Bilbo's theme that reflects his unusual behaviour towards visitors?

-Sure. I like almost everything Shore does in these movies.

14) Blunt the Knives is one of the few songs in those movie sing by dwarves and is not in original soundtrack. What is your opinion of it?

-Blunt the Knives is on the Soundtrack SE. That scene in the movie is one of my favourites because to me it sums up the lighter side of the Dwarves completely. I enjoy hearing it on the CD as well. But I also agree with Brethil that it foreshadows the way the Dwarves work together in a fight, like a well oiled machine of badassery. I also love how Balin sits forwarding the plates that come by him with that great expression of resignation on his face.

For the end we can talk about preparations for the big supper in the dining room, Gandalf's similar behaviour then in Fellowship of the Ring and Bilbo's reaction to all this chaos in his house. For me this scene wasn't so great on first watching mainly because dwarves were so merry and unrespectable to Bilbo and I also didn't like that Gandalf supported them instead of holding them down since this all was the result of his doing.

-I enjoyed it completely and found it amusing to see Bilbo taken so far out of his comfort zone, not least because I am more like a Hobbit than a Dwarf. We get a good idea of Bilbo’s character as well as that of the Dwarves en masse and Gandalf as well. The Dwarfs are so amiable and unpretentious, not really getting that their behavior might be considered obnoxious, that I find them charming.

-I could have done without the burping but am resigned to seeing that sort of thing in a PJ movie – that’s his sense of humour.

15) Weren't you upset about dwarfs behaviour towards Bilbo? Did you found it annoyable or funny?

-As I said above, I found it funny and charming.

16) Why they were so comfortable and playful at that time? Do you think it has to do with the fact that Thorin wasn't there and Bilbo looked funny to them?

-Sure, but I think that’s their nature when relaxed. They are confident and at comfortable with themselves. They behaved much the same way when left to their own devices in Rivendell.

17) Do you like that Gandalf hit himself on the ceiling like in the Fellowship of the Ring or that he asked for a red wine instead of tea?

-I’m not a huge fan of all these little callbacks to LotR because I find them somewhat forced but I don’t really care.

18) How did the ending of this scene prepare you for the next scene?

-I liked how all the hilarity ended abruptly with a sudden knock on the door. It was clear that a change of tone was coming.

(This post was edited by Noria on Oct 5 2013, 2:08pm)

Subject User Time
Chapter of the Week: An unexpected Party Old Pilgrim Send a private message to Old Pilgrim Oct 4 2013, 6:10pm
    The beginning of the film has great scenes! DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Oct 4 2013, 7:37pm
    Fun Bernhardina Send a private message to Bernhardina Oct 4 2013, 8:21pm
    Another great scene. These are so fun! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 4 2013, 9:32pm
    Sorry, I haven't time to answer every question The Tenth Walker Send a private message to The Tenth Walker Oct 4 2013, 10:47pm
        Great thoughts. cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Oct 5 2013, 9:38am
    so many great moments! elostirion74 Send a private message to elostirion74 Oct 5 2013, 9:04am
    An unexpected pleasure! Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Oct 5 2013, 1:23pm
    Thanks Pilgrim. Noria Send a private message to Noria Oct 5 2013, 2:03pm
    Party on, Dwarf! Esmeralda Send a private message to Esmeralda Oct 5 2013, 8:56pm
    My ideas Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Oct 5 2013, 9:12pm
    Chapter 4 Kim Send a private message to Kim Oct 6 2013, 7:05pm
    There be dwarves... cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Oct 6 2013, 8:29pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.