Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Brrrr! Welcome to Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 4 2013, 7:55pm

Post #51 of 82 (181 views)
Shortcut
Yep! [In reply to] Can't Post

I lucked into a free guided tour and the guide would draw the birds in by playing birdsong. The hihi, saddlebacks and grey warblers all came to us to investigate who the bird-intruder was! Hihi are *very* quick!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 4 2013, 7:58pm

Post #52 of 82 (176 views)
Shortcut
How wonderful [In reply to] Can't Post

I am jealous.
We just had a thumper of an earthquake! Midgey nearly fell of the chair beside me, he got such a fright. Shocked

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 4 2013, 8:02pm

Post #53 of 82 (171 views)
Shortcut
How long has it been since the last 'felt' one? / [In reply to] Can't Post

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 4 2013, 8:07pm

Post #54 of 82 (174 views)
Shortcut
There was a 4.6 the other day [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't feel it because I was walking the dog at the time.
I feel them quite often here, but that's because I'm close to the Port Hills fault area. The one we had just now was only a 3.3, but felt much stronger. And these ones are really loud, I think because of the rocks. They get the old heart racing!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 4 2013, 8:09pm

Post #55 of 82 (178 views)
Shortcut
That's so cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a neat thing for the school to do. Congratulations to him!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 4 2013, 8:11pm

Post #56 of 82 (174 views)
Shortcut
Windy and spitting rain here. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was snowing when I came to work this morning. One of my students commented, "Well, we used to have to say 'We need the moisture', but now we can just complain."

It's supposed to be nice this weekend, though. We're planning a little family get-together Sunday afternoon, but other than that no real plans. Since we can't get to the national park, maybe I'll do a little local hiking at Devil's Backbone.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 4 2013, 8:12pm

Post #57 of 82 (171 views)
Shortcut
I've seen some posts [In reply to] Can't Post

on the Rise Up Christchurch FB page and you're not the only one who got jolted (unintended pun) by that one. It must have been very shallow.

Take Gimli's advice: "Just keep breathing, that's the key." :)

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 4 2013, 8:20pm

Post #58 of 82 (167 views)
Shortcut
5km deep and 2km away from me // [In reply to] Can't Post

Elwen
Lorien

Oct 4 2013, 8:28pm

Post #59 of 82 (188 views)
Shortcut
Glad to hear things are looking up Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

Enjoy a nice weekend not having that hanging over your head.

photo Desolation-of-Smaug2_zpsc1584ee1.jpg
Tauriel: So let me get this straight sir, this Elwen girl is back on something called TORn, and rather than just tell her to stop stalking you, you'd like me to show up in a movie I have no business being in as a ploy to distract her, and nevermind the wrath of countless Tolkien fans who will be calling for my destruction?

Legolas: That about sums it up. Besides, some people might like you. Oh, and to be on the safe side, can we pretend to be a couple too?

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 4 2013, 9:35pm

Post #60 of 82 (164 views)
Shortcut
Zealandia is amazing, isn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

We visited it last year and were hugely impressed. It's easy to spend hours there. I liked Pukaha Mt Bruce, too.

Those Pinnacles are a challenge. :) We ended up picking our way through the stream barefoot - at least I had a Ranger-sized man to cling to!

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 4 2013, 11:33pm

Post #61 of 82 (157 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm. [In reply to] Can't Post

If you found the pinnacles a challenge then I doubt I'll ever get there. Ah well, at least I can see them in the film. :)

Ataahua's stories

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Oct 5 2013, 12:02am

Post #62 of 82 (152 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations to Magpie and TLG! [In reply to] Can't Post

(Just don't tell Edna about the cape!)

I'm looking around at all the funny trees, having just arrived in Lorien. What do we drink here? Mallorn syrup?

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

(This post was edited by Meneldor on Oct 5 2013, 12:04am)

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Oct 5 2013, 1:39am

Post #63 of 82 (158 views)
Shortcut
Rainy with sun. :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I am so happy for you! What wonderful news. You certainly deserve it!

I'm glad the side trip to Rivendell helped. :)

Kim
Valinor

Oct 5 2013, 5:39am

Post #64 of 82 (138 views)
Shortcut
Hey Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

We have the same birthday! Happy Birthday fellow Libra! Smile

Congratulations on your good news!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 5 2013, 5:51am

Post #65 of 82 (143 views)
Shortcut
Happy Birthday, Magpie! [In reply to] Can't Post

So glad to hear that such a load has been lifted! Long term living on the edge like that really does take its toll. It's wonderful that you can find some stability again. Cool

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-z‚ram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-n‚la, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dŻm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Kim
Valinor

Oct 5 2013, 5:58am

Post #66 of 82 (158 views)
Shortcut
Best Week Ever! [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, best 2 weeks ever as I didn't post last week while on vacation. I was in Maui, and it was the most relaxing vacation I've had in a long time. No fixed plans, just pool/beach/dinner/sunset every night. Sun in the high 80s while there were torrential thunderstorms at home, so definitely picked the right week to go. My birthday was on Monday, and was definitely my best birthday ever! Started at a beautiful beach, followed by shopping, dinner by the ocean, and ended at a random bar with great live music, all while hanging out with fun friends.

The morning we flew home, we were checking the news about the government shutdown and started wondering if TSA would still be functioning. Then we started thinking we might get stuck in Hawaii, which of course would have been such a shame Tongue No such luck, everything was functioning as usual (and even a little faster than usual), so we made it home ok. And there's even going to be sun this weekend to ease us out of the summertime weather and into fall.

One of the many beautiful Maui sunsets:

cats16
Valinor

Oct 5 2013, 8:41am

Post #67 of 82 (135 views)
Shortcut
Ooo sounds awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a gorgeous picture (gave me a much needed smile). Glad to hear that the vacation was so nice! SmileSmile

And happy belated birthday, by the way! Sounds like it was one to remember--with plenty of company too.

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Oct 5 2013, 1:28pm

Post #68 of 82 (152 views)
Shortcut
What a fabulous birthday treat! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can think of only one thing that would improve it...I hope you brought your Hobbit disc and didn't leave Thorin home alone. Angelic

"Our perennial spiritual and psychological task is to look at things familiar until they become unfamiliar again." --G. K. Chesterton

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 5 2013, 7:25pm

Post #69 of 82 (122 views)
Shortcut
Don't let me put you off. [In reply to] Can't Post

The stream was the only really challenging part, and that was mostly because we were barefoot at that point. With gumboots or waterproof sandals, *and* choosing a time when the water level was lower (we were there after rain, too), it wouldn't be too bad, I think.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 5 2013, 9:32pm

Post #70 of 82 (119 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins (the TORnsib... not the book character) has the same birthday. And we had another member in the past (who no longer posts) with the same.

And one of my LOTR soundtrack friends also has the same birthday. And it turned out my husband has the same birthday as my maternal grandmother and I had the same birthday as his paternal grandmother.

:-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 5 2013, 9:32pm

Post #71 of 82 (127 views)
Shortcut
I appreciate all the congrats extended to me on this [In reply to] Can't Post

Again. Friends in Tolkien are the best. :-)

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 5 2013, 9:34pm

Post #72 of 82 (125 views)
Shortcut
I'm going to splurge... [In reply to] Can't Post

on Grape Nuts. Did you know there are no store brand versions of Grape Nuts? I love Grape Nuts.

That, and vegetables. They are awfully expensive and we've stuck, pretty much, to cabbage for awhile. It's nutritious, versatile, and tasty. But maybe I'll buy some snow peas or sugar snaps now and then. :-)

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 5 2013, 9:43pm

Post #73 of 82 (116 views)
Shortcut
I actually have two TARDISes [In reply to] Can't Post

One is larger, the doors open, and it makes TARDIS-y noises when you mess around with it.

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 5 2013, 9:57pm

Post #74 of 82 (115 views)
Shortcut
I recall a cabbage period [In reply to] Can't Post

in my life. Only recently have I returned to eating cabbage with pleasure, because it was associated with a dingy flat I lived in, where we mainly lived on cabbage and fried potatoes.
Enjoy your snow peas and sugar snaps. Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 5 2013, 10:08pm

Post #75 of 82 (111 views)
Shortcut
That video was strangely compelling [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a very cool TARDIS. My cousin would love it - he is a mad Dr Who fan.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.