Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Lego LOTR- huge disappointment

aruman
Rivendell

Jun 16 2013, 1:39pm

Post #1 of 5 (254 views)
Shortcut
Lego LOTR- huge disappointment Can't Post

Sorry gang, but as I've read some positive reviews of this game, I'm hoping someone can help me to understand how this game doesn't totally stink.

Being a huge LOTR fan, and a fan of some of the Lego video games, I had high hopes for this title. I was counting the days until it came out, which made my disappointment all the greater.

One of my big complaints is that the game is too easy. There isn't really any way to mess up. The game play also just didn't seem fun to me. It was all about walking around collecting coins (which I guess is the way of most of these Lego games) but there didn't really seem to be any parts where someone could get stuck at for any significant amount of time. I feel games should be a little bit frustrating, and very exciting. This game wasn't frustrating, just boring.

We got up to around the Dead Marshes, if I recall correctly. Does the game get better later on?

Someone please defend this, for lack of a better word, game.

In the movies Elrond, Denethor, Haldir, Galadriel, and Celeborn stink.

FrodoEyes
Rivendell

Jun 16 2013, 4:42pm

Post #2 of 5 (160 views)
Shortcut
It's a kids game. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think it's supposed to be difficult, just fun. Which it is.

Getting to 100% completion can be difficult, doing all the extra quests and finding things, but yeah, it's a kids game basically.
And fun. I don't see how anyone can not have fun playing this. All the levels are set in such a detailed, large, open world. You can literally walk from Bag End to Mount Doom! And the missions are great, and i think it's the first game where they put in actual dialogue. All the other Lego games don't have dialogue, just noises.

Just chill out and enjoy it ;) Not all games are supposed to be hard and frustrating. Enjoy the lightness and fun of it.

'I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.'
'So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.'

Elessar
Valinor

Jun 17 2013, 2:25am

Post #3 of 5 (131 views)
Shortcut
I loved it [In reply to] Can't Post

The game is supposed to be easy though as Frodoeyes said its a kid games. I love how you can replay so many great moments, get the scores, and can free roam seeing so many great places. There is nothing to defend I loved it because its Middle-earth and the way it was done worked for me.

Imladris18
Lorien

Jun 21 2013, 4:40pm

Post #4 of 5 (114 views)
Shortcut
Sorry you don't like it [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved it, and out of all the Lego games I've played, it was definitely the best and most well done, especially for primarily being a children's game.

There are a lot of little references that only older people would get too, for instance the Assassin's Creed sound effect when you jump off of Weathertop or the "Arrow to the knee" Skyrim line from the dude in Edoras.

Also, the game play may not be the most complex, but it was still fun, and, like others have said, the whole open world aspect is really cool.

To me, it was clear it was made by LotR fans because they replicated everything just about perfectly and didn't miss fine details.

Meliana
The Shire

Oct 5 2013, 7:44am

Post #5 of 5 (100 views)
Shortcut
I've just bought and played this... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to say I'm loving it. Quite addictive, and the side quests a nice addition. Some of the later stuff like climbing Orthanc is really tricky.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.