Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
On the contrast of character design between the two trilogies.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Oct 4 2013, 9:36pm

Post #1 of 38 (1463 views)
Shortcut
On the contrast of character design between the two trilogies. Can't Post

Hello, everyone!

I saw Beorn's picture today, and didn't quite like it. Didn't hate it, but I guess I was picturing something else entirely. Then I started thinking I have felt exactly this way about pretty much every character in The Hobbit, beginning with the original Dwarf revelation pics. It's like some kind of all-encompassing lacklustre design work.

Please, do not think I'm thrashing the movies, which so far I have immensely enjoyed... it's just they lack the visual refinement (not to confuse with lavishness or glitter) the Lord of the Rings has.

Has anyone noticed it as well? Is there some traceable reason for it?

Thanks in advance, and please receive a warm greeting, it's always nice to pay a visit to my online home. Wink

Visit Mexico from A to Z! Index to the whole series here.
Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 4 2013, 9:43pm

Post #2 of 38 (811 views)
Shortcut
Hm... [In reply to] Can't Post

For me it is exactly the same as with LotR. Some characters, places or landscapes look exactly like I envisioned them (Gandalf, Galadriel, the Shire, Rivendell, Sam, Thranduil, etc.), some not at all (Frodo, Boromir, Faramir, Bard, etc.).

But I got convinced by most during LotR and so far I have no real issues doing the same with TH.

I actually like that while reading the book only very few images blend 100% with the movie images. They can happily sit next to each other in my imagination.

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Oct 4 2013, 10:14pm

Post #3 of 38 (785 views)
Shortcut
For me it's been a hit or miss production [In reply to] Can't Post

while LotR was just all-around hit.

But you're right, majority of the designs have needed some time to get accustomed to. That's why I didn't react too strongly to Beorn; by the time I see him in the film he'll blend in quite fine.

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 4 2013, 10:18pm

Post #4 of 38 (738 views)
Shortcut
Hello - good to see you! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a hard one to answer because I don't see any contrast or inconsistency between the standard or style of the designs. Just as Arannir said before me, some of the characters look pretty much as I expected them to, some don't, but I see the same skill and care - and in most cases, the same hands at work creating the visual image of these film as the previous ones.

That for me was one of the most compelling things about the LotR films - the artwork. I could watch them happily if they were in a language I don't understand, because they look so beautiful. And for me it's the same with AUJ and the little we've seen so far of DOS. Even the characters who looked least like my mental image of them I find I get used to. easily, and the settings are ravishing - Dale, for example, and Erebor.

So I don't know.

Remus
Lorien

Oct 4 2013, 10:23pm

Post #5 of 38 (793 views)
Shortcut
Guillermo's fault [In reply to] Can't Post

If you dont like the design then it is probably Del Toro's fault! PJ can do no errors and mistakes.

I bet Del Toro is behind this design you dont like... I am so happy he got kicked out. And PJ returned to do what he was born to do. I call it destiny.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Oct 4 2013, 10:33pm

Post #6 of 38 (688 views)
Shortcut
I agree with Faenoriel... [In reply to] Can't Post

TH so far has been a bit hit and miss for me, though the character designs are probably the least of my worries! Mostly the issues seem to have been the need to exaggerate designs for the purposes of identification, particularly with the Dwarves, or to go OTT like with the bird poop on Radagast, or the Goblin King's chin- just going that bit too far, IMO. The same with The Master who is purportedly going to be rather gross, and his side-kick Alfrid,already looks like a clichéd villain. that said, I think all the Elven costumes are lovely, though Tauriel's still seems a bit "technicolour" bright to me, compared to the rest of the Elves so far...

I think with Beorn, the designers were hampered by the Hagrid issue - if Harry Potter had not existed, we probably would have got the Beorn Tolkien described, but there is no way we were going to get that look after Rowling's creation got there first (in movie terms!)

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 4 2013, 10:39pm

Post #7 of 38 (672 views)
Shortcut
I must say I don't agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the designs for the characters have been first-rate so far – Thorin and Bilbo's clothing, make-up and hair, for instance, are terrific. Galadriel actually looks better to me than she did in the LOTR films. Gandalf looks great, as ever. The three Trolls were very well done, too, and Radagast is imaginatively designed, though I find his facial make-up somewhat off-putting.

The costumes and hair were great overall – so no, I definitely don't agree.

However, I don't like the psycho Legolas look revealed in the trailer for the next film. Unimpressed

Joe20
Lorien

Oct 4 2013, 11:05pm

Post #8 of 38 (648 views)
Shortcut
The only things that I really don't like are a few of the dwarves and Radagast. [In reply to] Can't Post

Specifically Dwalin, Bifur, Bombur and Nori. Just something about those guys I really don't connect with.

Everything else in terms of design I think has been first rate. I would rather have had a lot more of it have been done practically (prosthetic goblins etc.) but the actual look of them has been great.

Same goes for locations. Actually, Radagast's house was a bit 'eh'. Though not too bad.

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Oct 4 2013, 11:16pm

Post #9 of 38 (615 views)
Shortcut
I've loved most of the designs so far [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo and Thorin in particular are great, especially in the make-up and costuming. I think the looks of the other dwarves are quite creative too. Thranduil in the next film actually surpassed my image of the character; he looks terrific.

The designs do have a bit more of a "storybook" feel to them, that I'll grant, but they're still some of the best in the industry, imo.

(This post was edited by MatthewJer18 on Oct 4 2013, 11:17pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 4 2013, 11:24pm

Post #10 of 38 (618 views)
Shortcut
This. [In reply to] Can't Post

That is the main point for me. Even if I do not agree with all the designs, I can clearly see that the same thought and care has gone into them. And even those I do not love 100% have not taken me out of the story.

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Oct 4 2013, 11:25pm)

AshNazg
Rohan

Oct 4 2013, 11:30pm

Post #11 of 38 (644 views)
Shortcut
Agree.. Gloin is the only image I went "YES" at. [In reply to] Can't Post

Even when Bilbo was first revealed, I was fine with his look, but it was the first image from the film and I didn't like the clean grain-free digital aesthetic the camera was creating. Every reveal image has had something wrong or weird about it. Including the posters.

The flip side to this, though it that all the designs have grown on me (except Bifur's axe head) I'd still prefer better designs for Fili, Kili and Thorin. But I've learned to appreciate the designs we've got and am actually quite happy with them.

I'm sure Beorn will grow on me in the same way. I just need to see him in context.

Elutherian
Rohan

Oct 4 2013, 11:58pm

Post #12 of 38 (581 views)
Shortcut
I think the Hobbit designs are more child-friendly.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...LOTR was darker and grittier. More realistic, and less fantastical.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

xxxyyy
Rohan

Oct 5 2013, 1:01am

Post #13 of 38 (566 views)
Shortcut
I just don't like the plain stupid ending of the Goblin King... and Saruman. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to say they did not show the minumum respect for Saruman, portrayed as evil (sort of), incompetent and surely not the most important of the five wizards. Ok, Galadriel, we know you have a crush on Gandalf, but come on...
I hope this is partially fixed in the EE... and also that in the next two movies they show why he is considered the wisest of all (or whatever Gandalf said in FOTR, riding to Isengard)

http://energyfromthorium.com/

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Oct 5 2013, 2:12am

Post #14 of 38 (499 views)
Shortcut
AUJ Design [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I like all of the AUJ design I have seen so far. Thought is necessary to have relatable dwarves. They had to look somewhat like Gimli and that was done well. The House of Durin would naturally be different than other dwarves and perhaps more human which works. Thorin is not a sympathetic character and the more he looks like someone you would know or be attracted to that better for the film. So I think everyone looked great. On a par with LOTR in my opinion. But we all see things differently -- that's just my two cents. It's worth at least half that.

Avnar
Lorien

Oct 5 2013, 2:25am

Post #15 of 38 (556 views)
Shortcut
Every single character reveal... [In reply to] Can't Post

Has taken time to get used too. No-one has looked remotely like I imagined they would...yet almost every lotr's character did.

I'll be honest - I flat out hate most of the designs! Some are just down right juvenile... Mad

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 5 2013, 2:45am

Post #16 of 38 (499 views)
Shortcut
Loved most of them [In reply to] Can't Post

A few have been ones I've had to get used to. I totally disagree with the poster that called them juvenile.

Peterthorn of Rohan
Rivendell

Oct 5 2013, 5:20am

Post #17 of 38 (445 views)
Shortcut
I liked.. [In reply to] Can't Post

A lot every design from the hobbit. Bilbo and the dwarves are great. The armies we have seen till now are amazing too. Even Radagast looks cool!

Lost Hobbit
Rivendell

Oct 5 2013, 6:29am

Post #18 of 38 (417 views)
Shortcut
The designs [In reply to] Can't Post

In my view the difference is more freedom, more eccentric designs this time, than in case of Lotr. It is clearly visible.

Cave Troll
Rivendell

Oct 5 2013, 8:18am

Post #19 of 38 (402 views)
Shortcut
Juvenile [In reply to] Can't Post

is the word.

Bifur's axe and Radagast's bird poo are silly ideas that should have been discarded in one of the early brainstorms.

The Master of Laketown and Alfrid are ludicrously unsubtle and, unfortunately, Beorn looks like another misstep. Unsure

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 5 2013, 8:46am

Post #20 of 38 (392 views)
Shortcut
It's been said before... [In reply to] Can't Post

..but Radagast's bird poo is an idea with a long history behind it. They certainly didn't invent it for the film. It harks back to Merlyn in T.H White's 'The Sword in the Stone' and beyond.

It's also a logical result of having a bird's nest on your head!

Cave Troll
Rivendell

Oct 5 2013, 8:53am

Post #21 of 38 (371 views)
Shortcut
Apologies [In reply to] Can't Post

That I did not know.

Avnar
Lorien

Oct 5 2013, 9:17am

Post #22 of 38 (354 views)
Shortcut
Funnily enough... [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Dwalins look the most! I know that's not a popular opinion. I also think Gloin looks cool.

Old Pilgrim
Rivendell

Oct 5 2013, 12:31pm

Post #23 of 38 (315 views)
Shortcut
There is a difference [In reply to] Can't Post

but that doesn't bother me. Some characters looks a little odd like dwarves and Radagast but maybe this is because the Hobbit is more for a children then Lord of the Rings and they want to add a lighter and more funny style.

StarGodziller
Bree

Oct 5 2013, 5:26pm

Post #24 of 38 (262 views)
Shortcut
The absence.... [In reply to] Can't Post

of Ngila Dickson could have something to do with the design differences. I wonder why she didn't wind up working on The Hobbit.

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Oct 5 2013, 5:28pm

Post #25 of 38 (261 views)
Shortcut
I actually thought most of those dwarves looked fine [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't like the axe stuck in Bifur's head, and didn't like Nori's starfish hair-do, but at least they looked like dwarves. I really don't like the look of Kili, I feel he just looks far too human compared to the rest of them. And Thorin, Bofur, Bombur, and Kili should have a longer beards IMO.

Other than that, they did a bang-up job on the dwarves, especially Dwalin, Balin, Oin, and Gloin.

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Oct 5 2013, 5:33pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.