Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Visual Effects, Soundtrack, Sound, Camera, and Editing Oscars won't defy GRAVITY
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 4 2013, 9:04pm

Post #1 of 34 (373 views)
Shortcut
Visual Effects, Soundtrack, Sound, Camera, and Editing Oscars won't defy GRAVITY Can't Post

What a movie. Gravity. Just wow. What a ride.

I don't think any movie (including DoS) stand a chance of winning in the visual effects category... and all the others mentioned above will be hard to take away from it.

And I am sure it will be a major contender for Best Actress, Best Director and Best Picture.

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Oct 4 2013, 9:04pm)

imin
Valinor

Oct 4 2013, 9:11pm

Post #2 of 34 (257 views)
Shortcut
Ah can't wait for this film! [In reply to] Can't Post

Comes out in a week or so in the UK and i am really looking forward to it.

The trailer looked brilliant and EVERY review of the film has given nothing but the highest of praise i have seen for a film in a long time.

'What's the matter with you?' - J.R.R. Tolkien

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 4 2013, 9:14pm

Post #3 of 34 (257 views)
Shortcut
I was 100% sure this was overhyped. [In reply to] Can't Post

I almost did not want to like it... but I did not get a chance. The movie took me and did not let me go emotionally until after the end credits were over.

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Oct 4 2013, 9:24pm

Post #4 of 34 (261 views)
Shortcut
Yes, and it will incredibly well deserved. [In reply to] Can't Post

I came out of my showing today pretty much singing a lament for DOS's visual effects chances. It's over folks. Shocked 'Gravity' is a tour de force in every possible aspect. I'd say it's got the technical categories sewn up (yay! Emmanuel Lubezki is finally going to get an Oscar for Cinematography!), and maybe even end up a frontrunner for the big ones too.

Nobody should be bummed out about this. 'Gravity' is a breathtaking film, folks. Run out and see it as soon as possible. Like...now. Smile

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 4 2013, 9:31pm

Post #5 of 34 (244 views)
Shortcut
Exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

This is not a loss for another film, especially not DoS. LotR has already gotten a lot of awards for very similar work.

Gravity is simply a very new thing, unseen before.

imin
Valinor

Oct 4 2013, 9:35pm

Post #6 of 34 (236 views)
Shortcut
You guys! You're killing me! :P // [In reply to] Can't Post

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 4 2013, 9:37pm

Post #7 of 34 (235 views)
Shortcut
Why do you lads over there have to wait so long?^^ [In reply to] Can't Post

imin
Valinor

Oct 4 2013, 9:43pm

Post #8 of 34 (233 views)
Shortcut
Cause life is unfair? [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

Have no idea. In the UK we generally see films after they are released in the US sometimes months after. my local cinema says it will be releasing this film on October 11th but IMDB says the film will be released Nov 8th, so hopefully my local cinema is correct!

It would seem to make more sense to release if possible at the same time around the world or wherever they are releasing the film so as to reduce the amount of illegal online piracy, maybe that doesn't work though in practice.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 4 2013, 9:45pm

Post #9 of 34 (232 views)
Shortcut
Such a shame... even in Germany we have it already. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Tongue

Have no idea. In the UK we generally see films after they are released in the US sometimes months after. my local cinema says it will be releasing this film on October 11th but IMDB says the film will be released Nov 8th, so hopefully my local cinema is correct!

It would seem to make more sense to release if possible at the same time around the world or wherever they are releasing the film so as to reduce the amount of illegal online piracy, maybe that doesn't work though in practice.

imin
Valinor

Oct 4 2013, 9:48pm

Post #10 of 34 (226 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully it will be worth the wait! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Elutherian
Rohan

Oct 4 2013, 11:59pm

Post #11 of 34 (219 views)
Shortcut
I'm going to see this on Sunday in IMAX! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm extremely excited! Laugh

Hopefully they'll show the new DOS trailer ahead of it.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

cats16
Valinor

Oct 5 2013, 12:08am

Post #12 of 34 (233 views)
Shortcut
No shame for DOS, at all. [In reply to] Can't Post

Gravity was an incredible visual experience. It's a lock for Best Cinematography. What a feat. It's a glimpse into the future of cinema.

DOS will have nothing to feel shameful about, regardless of wins/nominations compared to Gravity. They're different, in good ways.

This is going to end up being a great year for film, when looking back at the 'top' films of the year.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Oct 5 2013, 9:52am

Post #13 of 34 (218 views)
Shortcut
I second that [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR broke ground with mo'cap and Neytiri was the absolute pinnacle of what that effect can do, and now Gravity SFX pushed the envelope and introduced something new. It's really a good thing that SFX are constantly going forward as opposed to being stuck in one type. Also, I'm glad that there's diversity of SFX companies now as opposed to ILM and WETA oligopoly. SFX houses tend specialize in one type of SFX in particular so it's good to have new companies that bring something new to the table. Competition makes one challenge itself and contribute to progress.

Incredible movie, AMPAS would be fools not to award it in major categories. Sci fi is making so much money for Hollywood yet they never awarded a movie in that genre (LOTR was fantasy). I don't see a better candidate for the honor coming in a long time. Also, a role like Bullock's, a one woman show, with this level of physicality and emotional engagement is unheard of. Take a look - Life of PI, Buried, All is Lost, Castaway, 127 Hours, I Am Legend are all movies that were one man show in different degrees and all starring an actor. Gravity is the only movie of that kind starring an actress. Just groundbreaking movie on more levels than one.

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Tauriel saved us from Itaril. Never forget.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 5 2013, 3:59pm

Post #14 of 34 (183 views)
Shortcut
The symbolic images are also amazing... [In reply to] Can't Post

SPOILERS

The embryo-moment when Bullock has finally reached the ISS or the "life out of water" moment as well as the rebirth-moment during the finale.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Oct 5 2013, 4:14pm

Post #15 of 34 (180 views)
Shortcut
Agreed, totally iconic [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so happy for Cuaron. Loved Prisoner of Azkaban, the best Potter movie for me. I know that purists hate it but they hate everything so who cares. Also Children of Men was fabulous. So this was such a labor of love for him and to see it pay off like that is just so rewarding. He's such a great guy.

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Tauriel saved us from Itaril. Never forget.

malickfan
Gondor

Oct 5 2013, 6:30pm

Post #16 of 34 (174 views)
Shortcut
Well Prisoner of Azkaban was my fave book and film in the series, and I loved Children of Men [In reply to] Can't Post

So this bodes very well for gravity! Apart from the the worrying news above about the UK release date.

Prisoner of Azkaban was by far the best film in the series, I love the books but there was so much stuff from the book to squeeze in Cuaron had to make changes, and he did it in great style, love the cinematography, cast editing and pace, the main trio actually seemed to be acting in that one, and even though the first two films were word for word adapations of the book I don't really enjoy them all that much as films, bland direction, overlong and frankly dated-Cuaron to me actually captured the zany magic and gothic undertones of the book better than Chris Columbus copy and paste approach.

Shame I can't feel quite as accepting towards PJ on T.H.

I don't have much to say.

dubulous
Rohan

Oct 6 2013, 7:07am

Post #17 of 34 (148 views)
Shortcut
Oddly enough I actually found Prisoner of Azkaban to be truest to the books in many ways [In reply to] Can't Post

It may have taken some liberties plot-wise but I feel like it got the tone right in a way that many of the other movies in the series didn't. True about the acting of the trio too. Cuaron actually got something out of them.

Anyway, I have not seen Gravity yet.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 6 2013, 2:09pm

Post #18 of 34 (143 views)
Shortcut
Did you have the feeling as well... *SPOILERS* [In reply to] Can't Post

That the whole movie was about "rebirth"?

I found it to be pretty obvious, but I am sometimes completely wrong with interpretations :D

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 6 2013, 7:59pm

Post #19 of 34 (144 views)
Shortcut
Gravity and real Gravity have something in common [In reply to] Can't Post

They suck. Lol Tongue

You and I talked yesterday. I'm mostly just posting to show not everyone loved this movie. Visually this movie is cool to look at but that's about it as far as good things to say go. I like both actors a lot but I never developed care for either and never saw any real character development. People talk about OTT moments in AUJ but to me that's all this movie was. The best part was the first few minutes with the Hubble Telescope. For me I walked out of this movie feeling nothing at all for this movie other than annoyance.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Oct 6 2013, 9:13pm)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Oct 6 2013, 8:20pm

Post #20 of 34 (130 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Thinking back on it, I think there was a lot of imagery to go along with that interpretation. Especially when Sandra Bullock was in the fetal position. Though a lot of that only hit me after the fact. During the film, I just so on the edge of my seat, that I wasn't even thinking about stuff like that. Tongue There were several points where I caught myself having held my breath for several minutes straight.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 6 2013, 9:17pm

Post #21 of 34 (122 views)
Shortcut
Funny how different perceptions are. [In reply to] Can't Post

I never rooted as much for a character in ages.

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 6 2013, 9:40pm

Post #22 of 34 (122 views)
Shortcut
It is funny [In reply to] Can't Post

How people see movies. I've seen several opinions that didn't like it and I'm glad to not totally be on an island. I was just so apathetic to what happened to any of the characters. :(

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 6 2013, 9:42pm

Post #23 of 34 (136 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I never wanted to say that everyone has to like this movie, far from it.

Just happy that a movie I found to be such a revelation gets so much praise.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Oct 6 2013, 9:55pm

Post #24 of 34 (137 views)
Shortcut
Speak for yourself. Elessar's clearly crazy. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

JK.

I can probably count on my fingers (one hand) the number of films that I hold to be masterpieces that I haven't had people tell me they think I'm crazy for holding in such high regard.

Even a film that's getting such raves and positive word of mouth as Gravity is bound to have people who don't respond to it. That's one of the great things about cinema (and all art, really). We each have our own unique reaction to something. I raved over and over about Hugo in 2011, yet I know there were many on these boards who didn't quite get the rapture I was experiencing with it. Likewise, I could not, for the life of me, get the hoopla over Slumdog Millionaire in 2008.

Difference of opinion is a good thing. Things would get quite boring otherwise.

- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Oct 6 2013, 9:59pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 6 2013, 10:05pm

Post #25 of 34 (117 views)
Shortcut
I didn't take it that way :) [In reply to] Can't Post

So no worries.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.