Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
just some comments about comments
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Oct 4 2013, 7:39pm

Post #1 of 93 (826 views)
Shortcut
just some comments about comments Can't Post

i absolutely acknowledge any poster's right to post negative comments about the appearance of a celebrity / actor / etc., as long as they are in accordance with the boards rules of conduct.

having said that, i'd like to offer counterpoint to negative comments that i frequently see on the boards. things like... someone is ugly or weird-looking or... well, i'm sure you've seen plenty of examples.

it really disheartens me to see posts that disparage someone's physical appearance -- including the ones that critique beauty and try to assess who is more "perfect," who is more "beautiful," "better-looking." this seems a fool's errand, and also a poisonous one.

aside from the ridiculousness of judging someone by that person's appearance in such a superficial way, beauty and appeal are of course very variable. what one person does not find appealing, another might. also, as we grow and experience life, we appreciate our fellow human beings more, and aren't so straightjacketed to think only certain forms are worth being admired.

i'm trying not to be too specific, because i don't mean to single out any poster in particular.

i just want to go on record to say that it would be a step in the right direction to making the world a better place if we didn't belittle other people's looks, and set ourselves up as judges on the appearance of other human beings.

thanks for listening.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 4 2013, 8:13pm

Post #2 of 93 (454 views)
Shortcut
I think you make worthwhile points, Maciliel. [In reply to] Can't Post

BTW I've moved this to the Feedback board as it's the best place for this discussion. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Oct 4 2013, 8:19pm

Post #3 of 93 (449 views)
Shortcut
no problem, ataahua [In reply to] Can't Post

...'tho, just to say, i was speaking more to my fellow posters than to those who manage the boards (which i associate with feedback).

thanks for all your efforts, in general.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 4 2013, 8:46pm

Post #4 of 93 (446 views)
Shortcut
points to your avatar [In reply to] Can't Post

I had to work a bit to figure out how you got a special level designation. :-)

btw, I agree completely with your post. I can only say very little... or lots and lots on the subject matter.

I'm going with 'very little'. Lately, I'm been working on keeping my mouth shut.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Oct 4 2013, 8:52pm

Post #5 of 93 (431 views)
Shortcut
hah! [In reply to] Can't Post

[magpie]

In Reply To
btw, I agree completely with your post. I can only say very little... or lots and lots on the subject matter.

I'm going with 'very little'. Lately, I'm been working on keeping my mouth shut.

[/magpie]

hah! magpie, i know exactly what you mean.

btw, re my avatar, i've been switching them out, willy-nilly to suit my mood. i've been eating poetry on toast points a while, but there have been many variations preceding that.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 4 2013, 8:54pm

Post #6 of 93 (421 views)
Shortcut
you'll have to start a gallery, like mine [In reply to] Can't Post

and my current avatar reflects today's saint day.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Oct 4 2013, 8:55pm

Post #7 of 93 (415 views)
Shortcut
i didn't know [In reply to] Can't Post

i didn't know there was a st. magpie.

one learns something new every day.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 4 2013, 8:59pm

Post #8 of 93 (410 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.catholic.org/...aint.php?saint_id=50

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 4 2013, 9:01pm

Post #9 of 93 (417 views)
Shortcut
Some people are just stuck in Junior High. [In reply to] Can't Post

Some people talk about ideas, some people talk about things, and some people talk about other people.

I met a Balrog on the stair,
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today,
I wish he would just fly away.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Oct 4 2013, 9:06pm

Post #10 of 93 (401 views)
Shortcut
and some people eat other people [In reply to] Can't Post

but that's pretty much in october, when the walking dead is on amc.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 4 2013, 9:11pm

Post #11 of 93 (400 views)
Shortcut
And I will listen to you [In reply to] Can't Post

because you are so stunningly attractive. I am going to get a hat just like yours.

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 4 2013, 9:16pm

Post #12 of 93 (398 views)
Shortcut
Forms worth being admired [In reply to] Can't Post

For over 20 years, I have been working alongside people who are always going to be at the very bottom of the heap when it comes to conventional ideas of what is attractive.

I have found more beauty in them than I could ever put into words.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Oct 4 2013, 9:23pm

Post #13 of 93 (381 views)
Shortcut
exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

starling, +exactly+.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 4 2013, 9:28pm

Post #14 of 93 (384 views)
Shortcut
And Tolkien! [In reply to] Can't Post

He was young, buff, and had a six-pack when he wrote LOTR, right? I mean, if he was middle-aged and all rumpled and wrinkled why on earth would anyone ever make a website about him?

(And that's not my hat, it's my cat.....)

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 4 2013, 9:31pm

Post #15 of 93 (372 views)
Shortcut
The taste of Soylent Green..... [In reply to] Can't Post

...varies from person to person.

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 4 2013, 9:33pm

Post #16 of 93 (389 views)
Shortcut
And vice versa. [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of the ugliest people I ever met were extremely good-looking.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Oct 4 2013, 11:03pm

Post #17 of 93 (379 views)
Shortcut
*nods head* [In reply to] Can't Post

This. Sooo much this! For weeks. :/

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Oct 4 2013, 11:04pm)

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 4 2013, 11:09pm

Post #18 of 93 (396 views)
Shortcut
Well I for one [In reply to] Can't Post

wish that both of you would open your mouths, because I would like to hear what will come out!
I feel deprived. Frown

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 4 2013, 11:19pm

Post #19 of 93 (361 views)
Shortcut
And St Francis [In reply to] Can't Post

seems most appropriate in light of this conversation.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 5 2013, 2:21am

Post #20 of 93 (377 views)
Shortcut
While one can pretty much say what they like ... [In reply to] Can't Post

about any person connected to the movies, one cannot say much at all about any member of the boards. That's the rules. I can 'debate' a point but sometimes, the *point* being debated isn't what I want to talk about. I want to talk about how we are behaving. About the tones we take and the words we choose. I can't really address that without straying too close the guidelines.

I'm not complaining. The rules exist for a reason and I think they're good reasons. But I can't open my mouth and pretend to want to talk about anything but what my brain is screaming. And my screaming brain will get me in trouble.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Oct 5 2013, 2:21am)

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Oct 5 2013, 6:58am

Post #21 of 93 (308 views)
Shortcut
Add me to that list ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 5 2013, 8:12am

Post #22 of 93 (310 views)
Shortcut
I'll take one for the team [In reply to] Can't Post

Just say the word and I'll go all sweary-Starling, just for you. Angelic

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 5 2013, 8:13am

Post #23 of 93 (310 views)
Shortcut
I hear you [In reply to] Can't Post

Totally.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Oct 5 2013, 9:17am

Post #24 of 93 (327 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that's something I'd love to see.

But you don't have to just for me birdie, kinda like having you around CoolLaugh

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Oct 5 2013, 4:53pm

Post #25 of 93 (320 views)
Shortcut
Yep. [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially when it could be boiled down into small bites like:

"Way to encourage discussion!"
"Could you BE any ___ [ruder/more juvenile/more condescending/ judgmental, etc.] ___?"
"Are you always this big an ass?"
[Your Argument is Invalid meme]
"Show your arse in public like this often?"
"Wow. Is your TV picture as black & white as your thinking?"
"Grow the heck up."
"I have two words for you: _____ _____."
[rude acronym or initials]

and anything more wordy and polite would likely just be a waste of my time.

Muttering, rolling my eyes, and working the mouse instead of the keyboard is the only solution that works for the boards. Sometimes I just wait for Darkstone to show up. He seems to know juuuuuust exactly where the Admins have drawn the 'acceptable level of snark - too much snark' line that I'm always afraid of crossing. =)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.