Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
REPOST: Unfinished Tales discussion sign-up

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 4 2013, 4:39pm

Views: 134
Shortcut
REPOST: Unfinished Tales discussion sign-up Can't Post

(Brethil posting in Ardamire's words here!)

"Hey all reading room readers. I HAVE MADE THE SCHEDULE". Wink - Ardamire

For those who have not kept up with our previous discussions (and poll) about what to read together next, we have decided to move on to Unfinished Tales after Brethil's discussion of Letter #131. That is meant to go for four weeks, so we'll kick off the Unfinished Tales discussion during the week of Sunday, October 13.

The decision was made to skip the "Narn i Chin Hurin" portion of UT during this read-through and to discuss The Children of Hurin after finishing UT. This will allow us to take our time on that book without completely interrupting our UT discussion. So for the time being, we will just focus on the tale "Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin".

October 13: The Wanderings of Tuor This section obviously begins at the beginning and goes through Tuor's early life, meeting with Gelmir & Arminas, and his stay at Cirith Ninniach. It ends with the phrase, "But he knew not that the wind came fresh from the Great Sea."

October 20: The Visitation at Vinyamar This section encompasses Tuor's time at Nevrast and his conversation with Ulmo. It ends with the phrase, "And Ulmo was gone, and the sea was in tumult, as the wild waves of Ossë rode against the walls of Nevrast."

October 27: Voronwë Aranwion This section encompasses Tuor's meeting with Voronwe and Voronwe's story. It ends after Voronwe finishes his account with the phrase, "Then Voronwë fell silent; for night had come, and the stars shone white and cold."

November 3: The Journey of Tuor and Voronwe This section contains, obviously, the journey of Tuor to Gondolin. It ends with the phrase, "But Tuor said: ‘Forebode no more. Death in the wild is certain; and death at the Gate is yet in doubt to me, for all your words. Lead me still on!’"
November 10: The Gates of Gondolin This is the last section and goes through the end of the unfinished tale Wink

So now I need discussion leaders! Anyone is welcome to do so. If you've never lead before, now's your chance! All that's needed is to reply to this post. Thanks to all involved, and to all volunteers! I'm looking forward to the discussions. Smile

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Subject User Time
REPOST: Unfinished Tales discussion sign-up Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 4 2013, 4:39pm
    I shall take November 10th Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 4 2013, 4:39pm
    weren't there already some volunteers? Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Oct 4 2013, 4:41pm
        *You* are not really confused at all Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 4 2013, 4:46pm
    Mikah raises hand again... Mikah Send a private message to Mikah Oct 6 2013, 2:40am
        Wonderful Mikah! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 6 2013, 3:09am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.