The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Quick question with regard to Beorn

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 4 2013, 3:09pm

Post #1 of 12 (771 views)
Shortcut
Quick question with regard to Beorn Can't Post

After the events of the Hobbit, does Beorn manage to continue his line? I seem to remember that he did breed and produce heirs, or am I wrong?

I want to be reassured that his line will not run out, because at the time of the Hobbit he was the only one of his kin left, the others all having been slain. Unsure

Arandir
Gondor

Oct 4 2013, 3:15pm

Post #2 of 12 (525 views)
Shortcut
Grimbeorn the Old [In reply to] Can't Post

was the son of Beorn and also a shapeshifter - he dwelt with the Beornings in the Vales of Anduin before and during the War of the Ring.

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 4 2013, 5:34pm

Post #3 of 12 (333 views)
Shortcut
That's excellent news! Thank you. [In reply to] Can't Post

So the Beornings were all Beorn's kin, and he was in fact their ancestor, given that there were no others of his species left in Middle-Earth at the time of the events of the Hobbit?

In Reply To
was the son of Beorn and also a shapeshifter - he dwelt with the Beornings in the Vales of Anduin before and during the War of the Ring.

Arandir
Gondor

Oct 4 2013, 6:03pm

Post #4 of 12 (299 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure he was the last of his kind ... [In reply to] Can't Post

the filmmakers definitely seem to be based Beorn's character on that idea, but as we read in 'The Hobbit', he often goes to meet other bears. Whether they are also shapeshifters is not known for certain but it is believed that they were somewhat akin to each other - hence, why Grimbeorn was able to be! Smile

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

Subaruman
Bree

Oct 4 2013, 6:19pm

Post #5 of 12 (306 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Beornings were an entire race of shapeshifters descended from Beorn. [In reply to] Can't Post

And they fought alongside elves (primarily) in the north during the War of the Ring.

"Here is a book very unsuitable for dramatic or semi-dramatic representation. If that is attempted, it needs more space, a lot of space."

- J.R.R. Tolkien, 1956

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 4 2013, 9:06pm

Post #6 of 12 (241 views)
Shortcut
Citation? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Yes, Beornings were an entire race of shapeshifters descended from Beorn. And they fought alongside elves (primarily) in the north during the War of the Ring.

The vast majority of Beornings were not related to Beorn, but were Woodmen of the Anduin Vales who came to follow Beorn as their leader in the years after the Battle of Five Armies. There is no indication that they were skin-changers--with the possible exception of Grimbeorn the Old and other members of Beorn's direct bloodline (and even that is not confirmed by Tolkien).

The idea that the skin-changers were a distinct race was only one possible speculation about Beorn's origins. It is Peter Jackson's decision to go with it as if it were a fact and make Beorn the last of his kind. It is implied in the book of The Hobbit that there could be other skin-changers and that they might take other forms, rather than that of a bear.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Oct 4 2013, 9:08pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 4 2013, 10:20pm

Post #7 of 12 (207 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for all your responses [In reply to] Can't Post

On balance, I'm going to take it that there were other Beornings after the events of the Hobbit, because it seems that Tolkien meant it to be so – and I do not want to think of that race becoming extinct!

Subaruman
Bree

Oct 5 2013, 1:16pm

Post #8 of 12 (154 views)
Shortcut
In both The Hobbit and FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien alludes to the fact that Beornings are descendants of Beorn.

"Here is a book very unsuitable for dramatic or semi-dramatic representation. If that is attempted, it needs more space, a lot of space."

- J.R.R. Tolkien, 1956

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 5 2013, 7:25pm

Post #9 of 12 (134 views)
Shortcut
Only some of them [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Tolkien alludes to the fact that Beornings are descendants of Beorn.

The Beornings did not exist as a group until after the Battle of Five Armies. The homesteaders and other Mannish inhabitants of the Western Anduin Vales who gave there allegiance to Beorn became the Beornings. Tolkien wrote that, for many generations, most of those who were directly decended from Beorn also shared his skin-changing ability. Beornings who were not related to Beorn were not skin-changers. I suggest that you reread your references more carefully.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Subaruman
Bree

Oct 5 2013, 11:54pm

Post #10 of 12 (117 views)
Shortcut
I suppose we'll have to let this one be. [In reply to] Can't Post

Since our refereneces seem to be conflicting.

"I suggest that you reread your references more carefully."

OK then.

- J.R.R. Tolkien, 1956

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 6 2013, 12:20pm

Post #11 of 12 (93 views)
Shortcut
Our references are largely the same [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I supppose we'll have to let this one be. Since our refereneces seem to be conflicting.

I don't know about that. In The Hobbit, Gandalf describes Beorn in the chapter "Queer Lodgings":

He is a skin-changer. He changes his skin: sometimes he is a huge black bear, sometimes he is a great strong black-haired man with huge arms and a great beard. I cannot tell you much more, though that ought to be enough. Some say that he is a bear descended from the great and ancient bears of the mountains that lived there before the giants came. Others say that he is a man descended from the first men who lived before Smaug or the other dragons came into this part of the world, and before the goblins came into the hills out of the North. I cannot say, though I fancy the last is the true tale. He is not the sort of person to ask questions of.

And in the chapter "The Return Journey":

Beorn indeed became a great chief afterwards in those regions and ruled a wide land between the mountains and the wood; and it is said that for many generations the men of his line had the power of taking bear's shape, and some were grim men and bad, but most were in heart like Beorn, if less in size and strength.

The key word here is "afterwards". Now, The Lord of the Rings, "Many Meetings":

Frodo learned that Grimbeorn the Old, son of Beorn, was now the lord of many sturdy men, and to their land between the Mountains and Mirkwood neither orc nor wolf dared to go.

Later, in the chapter "The Riders of Rohan", Aragorn speaks of the Roharrim:

They have long been the friends of the people of Gondor, though they are not akin to them. It was in forgotten years long ago that Eorl the Young brought them out of the North, and their kinship is rather with the Bardings of Dale, and with the Beornings of the Wood, among whom may still be seen many men tall and fair, as are the Riders of Rohan.

So the Beornings are descended from the Northmen once led by Eorl the Young. Beorn, himself, seems to belong to an even older people who lived in that region first.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 7 2013, 1:44pm

Post #12 of 12 (66 views)
Shortcut
That explains it for me, Otaku-sempal [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for digging up those references and clearing up this question, which I have long wondered about (before I even saw the LOTR films).

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.