Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Did you change your mind because of the trailer?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 3 2013, 9:31pm

Post #26 of 50 (476 views)
Shortcut
General Mood [In reply to] Can't Post

BTW: I get the feeling from all the different internet sources, that the positive vibes regarding DoS have increased significantly among internet users (excluding the typical Floppit Bash Homepages such as IMDB and Boxoffice.com).

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Cave Troll
Rivendell

Oct 3 2013, 10:16pm

Post #27 of 50 (452 views)
Shortcut
This really [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The things that worried me before still worry me.

The things that don't worry me, I'm still not worried about.

Most of the elf stuff (bar Thranduil) looks atrocious.

Smaug, the spiders and the glimpse of Beorn look super.

The Mitch King
Rohan

Oct 3 2013, 10:22pm

Post #28 of 50 (441 views)
Shortcut
I was happy in regards to DG [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that it now looks like DG is much larger and more expansive than a broken down structure in the woods like in AUJ. Nice to see some depth added there.

Nira
Lorien

Oct 3 2013, 10:32pm

Post #29 of 50 (432 views)
Shortcut
I knew it would be really great... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but it's FANTASTIC! I'm even more excited!

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

The Tenth Walker
The Shire

Oct 3 2013, 11:34pm

Post #30 of 50 (419 views)
Shortcut
No I haven't changed my mind about anything [In reply to] Can't Post

I always thought DOS would be great ( with a few reservations) and that has not changed.
My reservations are that DOS may be a little bit TOO action packed. I prefer a more relaxed film relying on good actors/acting to make the film interesting rather than having astonishing special effects and huge battles one after the other.
And I am waiting to see Tauriel in the film before passing judgment in her. She may be great - she may be awful.
Everything else is living up to my expectations - Bilbo, Bard, Smaug, Thranduil, and the dwarves.
I was impressed with how much new footage they showed in this trailer, nearly every scene is new. Thumbs up for that!

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." J.R.R Tolkien

Glaurung63
Lorien

Oct 3 2013, 11:45pm

Post #31 of 50 (404 views)
Shortcut
Loved it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was totally psyched and watched the trailer again and then posted it on facebook! This movie will blow my fragile eggshell mind and I will love it.....

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 3 2013, 11:49pm

Post #32 of 50 (390 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts exactly. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

flameofudun
Lorien

Oct 4 2013, 1:31am

Post #33 of 50 (368 views)
Shortcut
ditto! [In reply to] Can't Post

it seems that dormouse, brethil, elessar, bombadil, daniel and i all think alike, because i too now think this movie will be even more awesome than i thought it would be before seeing the second trailer. Cheers to our like mindedness!

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

(This post was edited by flameofudun on Oct 4 2013, 1:38am)

flameofudun
Lorien

Oct 4 2013, 1:37am

Post #34 of 50 (365 views)
Shortcut
my mother is responsible for me [In reply to] Can't Post

loving tolkien, and she is a fellow fan even now! we are having a party of good tolkien loving freinds and coming back to my house for a good night with pulled pork. we have freinds coming from the states even, (im in canada, near the border) to celebrate, but most live near us.

-Gimli

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 4 2013, 2:06am

Post #35 of 50 (347 views)
Shortcut
Sweet! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's awesome! It makes that bond with both stronger IMO. Sounds like you're going to have a great nite and I love pulled pork (I'm from Kansas City so I like me some BBQ).

Bishop
Gondor

Oct 4 2013, 2:10am

Post #36 of 50 (375 views)
Shortcut
Better [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the new trailer, and I think it's the best one since the beginning of the new series. I had some doubts after the Hobbit, but this trailer certainly paints an exciting picture of things to come. But I can't for the life of me figure out what the heck they did to Orlando Bloom's face. In fact, I'm not even sure it IS Orlando Bloom. Freeze the trailer on any image of him and experience the blunt force cognitive dissonance.

Bandercoot Cumberbatch's voice is an absolute marvel of sound design and performance.

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 4 2013, 2:11am

Post #37 of 50 (343 views)
Shortcut
Cheers back Flame! // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
it seems that dormouse, brethil, elessar, bombadil, daniel and i all think alike, because i too now think this movie will be even more awesome than i thought it would be before seeing the second trailer. Cheers to our like mindedness!

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Semper Fi
Rohan

Oct 4 2013, 2:28am

Post #38 of 50 (367 views)
Shortcut
So I'm not the only one who thought he looked like a wax figure [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they over-airbrushed his face to cover normal signs of aging. Since he isn't supposed to age.

I noticed that his contacts look like contacts. I never noticed them in that way in LOTR but this time it's obvious his eyes aren't really blue.

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Tauriel saved us from Itaril. Never forget.

Bishop
Gondor

Oct 4 2013, 2:46am

Post #39 of 50 (345 views)
Shortcut
Indeed. [In reply to] Can't Post

You're probably right, but I find this decision a bit baffling. We're already stretching our imagination, and it wouldn't be a deal breaker if Bloom looked a little older even though he's a younger Legolas. But instead they draw all kinds of attention to him with the bizarro version of Orlando Bloom. It's odd, because Jackson and co. have been uniformly excellent in the age makeup department.

It doesn't matter. Perhaps it will add a bit of unintentional light comedy in what is sure to be a great film adventure.

Yngwulff
Gondor

Oct 4 2013, 2:47am

Post #40 of 50 (361 views)
Shortcut
no haven't change my mind [In reply to] Can't Post

about certain IMHO unecesary deviations from canon, but I think it will be good none the less ...

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

Old Pilgrim
Rivendell

Oct 4 2013, 5:23am

Post #41 of 50 (306 views)
Shortcut
What is the point of his contacts anyway? [In reply to] Can't Post

In LOTR he was wearing blue contacts at time but they were normaly blue and at other times his eyes was brown which I also liked. But here they have trully exagarated with attempts to make him look younger.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 4 2013, 6:17am

Post #42 of 50 (303 views)
Shortcut
Who Is He [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...Who is he to tell them they aren't allowed to go back to their home???

Most likely a forum member.Wink

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 4 2013, 6:37am

Post #43 of 50 (297 views)
Shortcut
Even on this forum ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think the two AUJ trailers or the first DOS trailer were met with such high praise among TORn users. Naturally, there are people that dislike certain parts (worried about certain characters and/or plots), but as a whole, the trailer has gone down very well. The first DOS trailer was met with a lot of reservations, as were the two AUJ trailers.

It will be interesting to see how it continues over the next couple of weeks/months. And whether it will make any difference to the Box Office and reviews of the film.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Oct 4 2013, 3:17pm

Post #44 of 50 (235 views)
Shortcut
Ooh! Ooh! Count me in the virtual high-five! [In reply to] Can't Post

Expected Smaug to be awesome. Hoped Mirkwood would be everything it should be.

Second trailer came out.

Result: hyperventilation at the sheer awesomeness at everything. Smile Heart I am now soooo excited for DoS. Everything looks better than I had been imagining! I've been telling everyone I can get away with it how awesome Smaug is going to be and how we will have the best cinematic dragon of all time!!

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Oct 4 2013, 3:49pm

Post #45 of 50 (241 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I will say that Tauriel, who I have long been skeptical of, looks gorgeous. All-in-all, the trailer was good, much better than the first IMO.

But my mind won't change about anything until I actually see the film. I've come to terms with the fact that it's probably going to be way off from what I am hoping for, so I will do my best to simply enjoy it for what it is. I liked AUJ, but didn't think it was on par with LotR, and some of the deviations and revisions stuck in my craw. I'm expecting more of the same with DoS, but I think I'm a little more prepared this time to accept that it won't be the vision I was expecting.

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 4 2013, 5:23pm

Post #46 of 50 (236 views)
Shortcut
Nope. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still not convinced that the film is not being marketed properly.

I met a Balrog on the stair,
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today,
I wish he would just fly away.

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 4 2013, 5:26pm

Post #47 of 50 (222 views)
Shortcut
Count yourself in :) [In reply to] Can't Post

flameofudun
Lorien

Oct 4 2013, 7:59pm

Post #48 of 50 (251 views)
Shortcut
Yes do count yourself included! [In reply to] Can't Post

-Gimli

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 5 2013, 12:09am

Post #49 of 50 (217 views)
Shortcut
Relieved my elf angst [In reply to] Can't Post

As an unabashed Thorin/dwarves fan, and a huge admirer of Martin Freeman's Bilbo, in spite of many thoughtful posts on the subject I'd been down about DOS after Trailer 1.
Elves, elves, and more elves (tho loving Thranduil so far). But was horribly nervous PJ would shift DOS into a pretty much elf-dominated movie, banking on the LOTR connection and
Legolas' popularity. It's not that I wouldn't have gone to DOS anyway of course, but I'm dwarve/Bilbo emotionally invested. And it WOULD have affected how many repeat theater
viewings I did. There'd been such a news "blackout" didn't know what to think.

So guess you could say my mind got changed, in that now I've got angst over other things (like sorrow over Thorin holding a sword to Bilbo tho no-one knows how that builds up yet,
but it hurt to see. And thinking DOS is where the real darkness of these movies begins - no more "whimsical"). And I'm even more excited to experience Beorn, Mirkwood, barrels,
spiders, and SMAUG and Bilbo + dwarves/Smaug confrontation (even if all they do is run for it). Also more interested in the Dol Guldur scenes than I was before.

I'm no fan of the Tauriel addition, but she seems to be doing OK - still frustrated w. the new "tough guy" Legolas and he seems to be around more than ever (don't mind him being
there, but personally did not need a lot of him and liking his daddy better, LOL). If there really is a Legolas/Tauriel thing - great, for me better than Tauriel/Kili.

Overall, guess my mind got changed from trepidation and irritation to "I can't WAIT for this movie" total anticipation. Trailer totally blew me away, and restored faith. Loved AUJ
and think I will love DOS.

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 5 2013, 12:27am

Post #50 of 50 (214 views)
Shortcut
Too much makeup primer? Silicon? [In reply to] Can't Post

Relieved I'm not alone - guess they were going to have to do SOMETHING as the high def cameras seem
to be ruthless and Orly does have lines around his eyes if you see him without makeup (I'm not saying he
doesn't look good, and good for him if he hasn't Botoxed etc.).

But don't want to look at him in close up as for me it is too strange - especially when he smiles at Tauriel
(looks almost lipless) and other shots masklike with strange eyes. Lots of accusations about his face
being CGI'd but I wonder if they literally put a very thin prosthetic over his whole face to smooth it out.

Maybe it works well if you view it at 48 fps?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.