Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
elf-sight

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Oct 3 2013, 4:47pm

Views: 235
Shortcut
elf-sight [In reply to] Can't Post

i think that both had a bit of the elf-sight going on, but both were also seduced a bit by elf-lust. tolkien does say that while elves have a certain nature and pattern, there can be aberrations. like in the case of elf-rape or elf-infidelity (or elf-killing). his writings indicate these are unthinkable for elves, yet we have some historical instances in which elves murdered elves (some times the same murderers doing it again), incestuous elf thoughts (maeglin towards idril), and (suggested) notions of elf rape (some, including me, get the feeling that a couple of the sons of feanor were thinking about forcibly accosting luthien).

so, eol may be a mixed bag. i think he's definitely struck by aredhel (a bit of elf-sight), but i also think he's moved quite a bit from sheer desire. and the enchantments he works on her.... they certainly caused her to lose her way, but were they enchantments that beguiled aredhel's perceptions? i think this would be difficult to do to an elf, especially one who was born in valinor.

for her, my thoughts align with the idea that her elf-sight was working as well, in part. both of them are very independent, love living free, on their own terms. their early years were probably wildly happy and intense and passionate. i imagine aredhel in incredible bliss, partnered with someone who was equally passionate, intense, and an independent thinker.

i suspect there might have also been a bit of elf lust on her side as well. eol must have seemed extremely compelling, someone who lived free for years, pretty much alone, on his own terms. no kings or princes around him. she's also a noldo, so eol's talents with smithcraft might have also intrigued her. he probably was an incredibly dashing figure, and must have been very compelling, because she was an elf who had been born in and lived in the light of valinor, which he had never seen. the gulf between the caliquendi and the moriquendi was great. eol's gifts and his presence must have been very impressive, to bridge this gulf.

so, i'm leaning on a mix between elf-sight and a dash of elf-lust. they probably were well-matched in many ways, but just because the match is promising doesn't mean that love flowers endlessly. love is affected by the choices one makes, and each (especially eol) made some not so good ones.

their relationship strikes me as one of the most complex in the sil among elves.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Subject User Time
speaking of aredhel... Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Oct 3 2013, 12:55am
    Interesting continuation Telpemairo Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 3 2013, 1:53am
        "It is not said that Aredhel was wholly unwilling, nor that her life in Nan Elmoth was hateful to her for many years." Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Oct 3 2013, 5:41pm
            The perpetual Bad Boy as a lure. When it fails Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 3 2013, 5:54pm
                The Little Princess and The Rose That Blooms on the Plain Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Oct 3 2013, 7:34pm
                    Wonderfully poignant references Darkstone Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 3 2013, 10:44pm
                        Thanks! Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Oct 4 2013, 5:45pm
                tengwadil, you echo my thought re gondolin Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Oct 3 2013, 11:22pm
                    Deep irony in Aredhel's story Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 4 2013, 12:01am
    Further consideration Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 3 2013, 4:27pm
        elf-sight Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Oct 3 2013, 4:47pm
            Love and lust Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 3 2013, 5:31pm
                Lust and Maeglin CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Oct 4 2013, 6:13pm
                    Good question - I don't know the truth of it Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 4 2013, 9:08pm
                    veering off into defying natural laws territory Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Oct 5 2013, 12:21am
                    aredhel's frame of reference Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Oct 5 2013, 12:28am
                        Aredhel in Gondolin Na Vedui Send a private message to Na Vedui Oct 5 2013, 9:38pm
    Eowyn Without a Cause? Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Oct 3 2013, 5:36pm
        intersting thoughts Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Oct 3 2013, 5:52pm
        Eowyn Na Vedui Send a private message to Na Vedui Oct 3 2013, 10:16pm
            interesing... proposal Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Oct 3 2013, 10:58pm
                But wasn't Eowyn Na Vedui Send a private message to Na Vedui Oct 3 2013, 11:30pm
                    yes, forgot that Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Oct 3 2013, 11:32pm
                        But perhaps good enough Na Vedui Send a private message to Na Vedui Oct 3 2013, 11:50pm
                        But.... elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Oct 6 2013, 11:27am
    i'd also like to add this angle.... Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Oct 13 2013, 2:21pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.