Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Apparently, Peter Jackson never introduced Richard to Mr. Smudge
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 2 2013, 4:02am

Post #26 of 39 (161 views)
Shortcut
I must admit [In reply to] Can't Post

The first few times I saw 'FTW' around here I was very confused. In the end I had to google it!
I had never heard of 'for the win'.
It is most amusin' to apply the other meaning when I come across 'FTW'. Laugh

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 2 2013, 4:27am

Post #27 of 39 (174 views)
Shortcut
Oh. [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear ol' Google, opening up our minds to alternative meanings! Blush

Reminds me of a news story a couple of years ago about the Wisconsin Tourism Federation deciding to change its name because its acronym had been overtaken by internet slang...

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

RosieLass
Valinor

Oct 2 2013, 5:42am

Post #28 of 39 (172 views)
Shortcut
Inside of a dog... [In reply to] Can't Post

...well, you know. Laugh

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 2 2013, 7:54am

Post #29 of 39 (148 views)
Shortcut
I know far more about the insides of my dog [In reply to] Can't Post

than I would like to know. Crazy

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 2 2013, 9:28am

Post #30 of 39 (151 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

as well Wink

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 2 2013, 10:51pm

Post #31 of 39 (130 views)
Shortcut
Bomby's (&Goldberry's) Cats are pissed... [In reply to] Can't Post

Arwen & Aragorn

Together...we are partners for life.

They know when dad is Down,

...and want to join in?
When Dad is laughin'g?

Wierd-est kinds of Meows...
Lately a Squirell... I've been feeding
Has become KittyTV.

They miss Mom, TOO.

Na Vedui
Rohan

Oct 2 2013, 11:11pm

Post #32 of 39 (116 views)
Shortcut
I meant people [In reply to] Can't Post

who think of them as a sort of unsatisfactory dog.Unsure

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 2 2013, 11:41pm

Post #33 of 39 (113 views)
Shortcut
Yes, well [In reply to] Can't Post

if you were waiting for a cat to be like a dog, you would be waiting until the end of all things! Laugh

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Oct 3 2013, 12:26am

Post #34 of 39 (111 views)
Shortcut
two of my cats [In reply to] Can't Post

fetched.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

The Grey Elf
Gondor

Oct 3 2013, 12:05pm

Post #35 of 39 (88 views)
Shortcut
As have a number of mine over the years. Actually it's not uncommon behavior. :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome more children to Middle Earth. Support The S.H.I.R.E. Project!

The Grey Elf
Gondor

Oct 3 2013, 12:28pm

Post #36 of 39 (96 views)
Shortcut
Afterthought [In reply to] Can't Post

It's actually rather amusing that Mr. Lion-Hearted (yes, he was born under the sign of Leo) should think so little of felines when he, and his now most famous alter-ego Thorin, exhibit so many cat-like traits ...

Those intense, light-colored eyes, that famous voice (if a man could purr, it would sound exactly like him -- in fact, BC, who is likewise famous for his baritone, has had his voice compared to a "jaguar hiding in a cello"!), the shyness -- how often is that character trait read as aloofness. Even his handwriting suggests someone trying to maintain some distance from others; his words are separated by regular and noticeable spaces. Yet despite this, we have seen or heard tell that he is also a man of great warmth. As for Thorin, that mane! That majesty! Remind anyone of the King of Beasts? Also, a bit on the "temperamental" side mebbe?

I Heart irony! And I still Heart you, Richard. Laugh

Annael
Half-elven

Oct 3 2013, 7:23pm

Post #37 of 39 (85 views)
Shortcut
there's always hope [In reply to] Can't Post

I grew up in a "big dog" family. We didn't just not like cats, we didn't like dogs that weighed less than 70 pounds. Little dogs were not even called dogs, they were just "yappers."

I first encountered cats in college when a roommate had one. I was surprised to find that the cat had so much personality and was . . . well, FUN. Eventually I got a cat. Then another, and another . . . culminating in Mandu the Perfect Cat whom all my family - including my parents - adore.

In later years I revised my opinion of small dogs as well. I'm now enamored of a 10-pound Havanese who does not yap. (Well, a little when she gets excited . . .but not overly so.)

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Oct 3 2013, 7:25pm)

Kim
Valinor

Oct 4 2013, 12:12am

Post #38 of 39 (59 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm probably more of a cat person myself, but have to agree, the bed head is quite distracting. Evil

The Grey Elf
Gondor

Oct 4 2013, 2:29am

Post #39 of 39 (75 views)
Shortcut
LOL -- yeah, I've heard that before from others when they discover cats [In reply to] Can't Post

It's that whole inscrutability thing cats have going that often gives people the wrong impression. Smile Lucky you that you've been able open your heart and enjoy a wider range of companions -- and sizes! Perhaps someday RA will be as fortunate.

Havanese are supposed to be a great little breed. But Labs are my personal lovepups Heart.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.