Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Is it possible to 'ignore' certain posters on this board?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Penthe
Gondor

Jan 7 2008, 3:57am

Post #1 of 69 (2003 views)
Shortcut
Is it possible to 'ignore' certain posters on this board? Can't Post

Because otherwise my head is about to explode.

Pen

I quite like cheese, you know.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 7 2008, 4:11am

Post #2 of 69 (1630 views)
Shortcut
I'm afraid not. [In reply to] Can't Post

Only a manual ignore is possible.

From the FAQ:

"2.6 Is there an “ignore” list? No. If you want to avoid certain users’ posts, you’ll have to just pass them by. If you view threads in ‘flat’ mode (e.g., view all the posts inside a thread at once) it will be difficult to avoid one person’s posts inside the thread. Viewing posts in ‘threaded’ mode will help."

Please do not allow your head to explode. Think of the mess.

My writing (including The Passing of Mistress Rose)

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Penthe
Gondor

Jan 7 2008, 4:25am

Post #3 of 69 (1650 views)
Shortcut
I shall keep my brains within. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the answer. I shall manual ignore for all I am worth.

Sorry to be be a Missy Precious Pants. Things don't usually bother me much.

I quite like cheese, you know.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 7 2008, 4:26am

Post #4 of 69 (1617 views)
Shortcut
Poor Penthe [In reply to] Can't Post

I sometimes feel the same way.

*pats shoulder"

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 7 2008, 4:50am

Post #5 of 69 (1620 views)
Shortcut
You're not [In reply to] Can't Post

being at all Precious Pants (something Gollum could have done with).

And I know the feeling. But this, too, shall pass.

My writing (including The Passing of Mistress Rose)

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 7 2008, 8:29am

Post #6 of 69 (1615 views)
Shortcut
**passes Penthe magic ignore glasses [In reply to] Can't Post

They're like those flip-down shades that some older people wear over their prescription lens eyeglasses (I refuse to answer how I know this!) but they grant the magical power of ignoring certain posters.

God knows I have been using them.

Anyone else needing a pair just reach in my stash, no questions asked.

Crazy

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"And we must all bring Provisions."
"Bring what ?"
"Things to eat."
"Oh!" said Pooh happily. "I thought you said Provisions.
I'll go and tell them." And he stumped off.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 7 2008, 9:40am

Post #7 of 69 (1632 views)
Shortcut
*passes Penthe six shots of tequila* [In reply to] Can't Post

Get those down ya Penthe: The world will look much prettier, at least for a while.

Oh, and you'll need these shades for the morning after ---> Cool

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

diedye
Grey Havens

Jan 7 2008, 12:46pm

Post #8 of 69 (1693 views)
Shortcut
Explode, eh? Then I've got just the thing for you... [In reply to] Can't Post

There now... now that it's over, don't ya just feel nice and mushy?

Oops... ugh... sorry... that's the brain matter.

Tongue

Heart

orcbane
Gondor

Jan 8 2008, 9:38pm

Post #9 of 69 (1598 views)
Shortcut
If its me, I will leave [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes outbursts can happen, but I really don't like the idea of continually bothering anyone or even reminding someone of a bother. Not a problem.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 8 2008, 9:46pm

Post #10 of 69 (1575 views)
Shortcut
Who, you? [In reply to] Can't Post

Nah.

Could be anyone - or someone you'd never suspect - or could even be me! Shocked

But we'll never know, and that's as it should be. Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 8 2008, 11:18pm

Post #11 of 69 (1594 views)
Shortcut
I was concerned about a response like yours. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can see how someone new to the site might read the posts above and feel unwelcome. Most people here, however, are very forthright, and if they have a problem with a specific person, they will try to correct the situation rather than make blanket statements. If I were to guess, the messages in this thread are more a reaction to the general craziness that has exploded within the last month. It really has been less than a month since our world went kablooie and we're still adjustment to the changes. We'll get there, I'm sure. We were all new once, and we've all made mistakes, and we probably will again some day.

So I wouldn't read too much into the comments. You will know if there's a problem that needs to be corrected (as you've recently learned! Wink). A great thing about this site is we don't hold grudges, so it's easy to recover from any stumbles and become a valued contributor.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 9 2008, 1:34am

Post #12 of 69 (1589 views)
Shortcut
It's not the influx of newbies, I'm sure!! [In reply to] Can't Post

At least, I can't speak for Penthe and wouldn't try, but reading between the lines I think she must be talking about the old "ignore" function, which we could all use when we needed to calm down and quit reading one particular individual's posts for awhile.

Such a function wouldn't work with newbies anyway; how would you know who to put on the ignore list, for instance?

Anyway, I also would regret if any of our newcomers read Penthe's post and some of our responses as an indication that we were aggrieved with them. Not at all! I love the fact we have newcomers, and am looking forward to them being oldcomers. Oldtimers. Old chaps.

Old somethings!

So for the newbies: Penthe if referring to an old function from the old boards where you could choose to not see a particular individual's posts. That function is not available on the new boards.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"Bring what ?"
"Things to eat."

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 9 2008, 4:15am

Post #13 of 69 (1651 views)
Shortcut
If you're worried it might be you... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't be. If you're the sort that thinks it could be you, you're probably not, as the most annoying people are usually oblivious and impervious to hints. Unless you have been arguing with Penthe a lot lately. In which case, you can PM her and apologise profusely. Wink

If you or anyone else are still worried, here are some tips to help you avoid being The Annoying One:

1. Don't be Johnny One-Note. If you have to bring up one thing in every post and argue to the death about it with everyone you come across, it gets old fast. Get off the campaign wagon and find other things to talk about.

2. Agree to disagree. Intense discussions are good, but a few rounds is usually enough. Once you've laid out your positions and no one's changing their minds or saying anything new, it's time to walk away.

3. Let old arguments die. The TORN boards don't bump old threads. Once they've lived out their time and fallen to the second or third page, they're done. This means old arguments go away too. Let them. Dead horses really stink when you dig them up and drag them around with you.

4. Don't stalk your opposite. Don't follow someone around the board, replying to every post they make with an opposing statement. This makes people cranky, and the Admins will frown at you and wave big sticks in a menacing manner.

If these don't describe you, you're probably fine. People will generally tell you if you step on their toes. Cool

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Jan 9 2008, 4:17am)

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Jan 9 2008, 6:04am

Post #14 of 69 (1571 views)
Shortcut
Wow, Silverlode [In reply to] Can't Post

You always know what to say, no matter what the issue is. You should write a book or advice column or something!

Where's Frodo?

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 9 2008, 11:46am

Post #15 of 69 (1567 views)
Shortcut
If you do, then please remember to do it in the correct way. [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Post a "I'm leaving" post stating that you feel misunderstood and the Tolkien is probably rolling in his grave etc

2) Come back to check who has answered, get very upset at some of the answer and post something again, just to make clear that we're all very evil and that you have now really left

3) Lurk for some week and then start posting again

4) Become upset when someone asks "Didn't you leave" and leave in a huff once more

5) Repeat all of the above a couple of times before coming back under another name

6) Get upset when the admins tell you that you're sock-puppeting that is a Bad Thing and leave again after complaining about nazi admins and cruel glugging

I don't know whether TORC's alive anymore so I don't know if there's much point in going there to complain about TORN.

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 9 2008, 11:56am

Post #16 of 69 (1542 views)
Shortcut
mods up! [In reply to] Can't Post

These are good words to Torn by. I might actually print them out and put them by my own monitor.

Because a reminder is always good, now and again.

Thanks, Silverlode!

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"Bring what ?"
"Things to eat."

orcbane
Gondor

Jan 9 2008, 1:53pm

Post #17 of 69 (1574 views)
Shortcut
I'm still in damage control mode Draupne [In reply to] Can't Post

and I was/am willing to resolve any friction. But I see I shouldn't have jumped into the conversation here, and that was impulsive. But sometimes a blanket apology just doesn't cover it.

You see patterns, and I'm sure they are often valid, from much experience.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 9 2008, 3:02pm

Post #18 of 69 (1557 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know whether TORC's alive anymore so I don't know if there's much point in going there to complain about TORN.

Yep, it's very much alive. Lots of familiar names over there.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jan 9 2008, 3:37pm

Post #19 of 69 (1528 views)
Shortcut
I'd... [In reply to] Can't Post

appreciate it if you wouldn't leave. I enjoy your posts!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 9 2008, 3:52pm

Post #20 of 69 (1532 views)
Shortcut
Impulsive? [In reply to] Can't Post

That fits a lot of us - you're in the right crowd! Laugh

Now, do NOT take Drooper's post (notice how we tend to kid her about her nick? No one knows how to pronounce it! Crazy) as being about you! It's both a tongue-in-cheek "instruction manual", and a reflection of the actions of certain former posters over the years who decided to act "trollish".

(Some do still lurk. Hi, there, you know who you are, and so do we!)

So, how do we upgrade your "damage-control mode" to "relaxed but still wild and crazy TORnsib" mode?

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

orcbane
Gondor

Jan 9 2008, 6:40pm

Post #21 of 69 (1521 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL Laugh

Your too much Darkstone

It sounds like you already made reservations for me over there

Now would you be a good fellow and get my bags ? I think I left them in Main.

Laugh

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 9 2008, 6:47pm

Post #22 of 69 (1542 views)
Shortcut
*makes note to self* [In reply to] Can't Post

Never spell Dewrynn properly. And pretend that the way you spell it means something really bad in Old Norse despite the w and the y.

And I do know how to pronounce Draupne. Would you say that I'm noone? *glares at DerNyw and starts looking for list of really bad TORNados that should be canned, snowballed or possibly both*

(in case someone's wondering, au does not sound anything like oo at al. Tolkien would be oscillating wildly had he known such ignorance)

And orcbane, please take me seriously. Every word I say, all the time ;-)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 9 2008, 7:44pm

Post #23 of 69 (1510 views)
Shortcut
*ahem* [In reply to] Can't Post

TORNadoes. Not TORNados. Evil

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 9 2008, 7:48pm

Post #24 of 69 (1532 views)
Shortcut
*gasp!* [In reply to] Can't Post

Old Norse has no "w" or "y"?

Wink

I seem to recall a "sounding session" once, where you were relating the "au" to one of the German umlauted vowels, so us poor sibbies who grew up learning English could at least attempt a fair equivalent!

*tosses snowball back at Draupne* Sly

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 9 2008, 7:51pm

Post #25 of 69 (1512 views)
Shortcut
By Jove, I think he's got it! // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.