Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
interesting to me

Long Hammer
The Shire

Oct 2 2013, 2:21am

Post #1 of 8 (531 views)
Shortcut
interesting to me Can't Post

When I read the book, ( I already know they were making the movie and knew the cast) I always felt that Bilbo was "mocking" smaug with al the compliments and praising words. But the trailer gives Bilbo a sense of awe over what he is seeing.

Just different than the way I interpreted it when I read it

flameofudun
Lorien

Oct 2 2013, 2:39am

Post #2 of 8 (293 views)
Shortcut
I took it as [In reply to] Can't Post

Him being extremely nervous. Yes, it still is a sense of false flattery, but to the point where bilbo is exceedingly nervous while doing it.

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

Nira
Lorien

Oct 2 2013, 3:04am

Post #3 of 8 (264 views)
Shortcut
I thought the same [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo's reaction after Gandalf's "good morning" lines is another example of a scene I imagined with a different tone/feel. I imagined those lines as happier and less cautious, but it plays well for the movie.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

(This post was edited by Nira on Oct 2 2013, 3:07am)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 2 2013, 3:18am

Post #4 of 8 (243 views)
Shortcut
I don't think Bilbo was mocking in the book either. Not entirely. Flattering to excess [In reply to] Can't Post

but I don't think there is any doubt that the Hobbit from The Shire would have been awed by the full, dreadful splendour of a great dragon atop his horde. A Dragon is not lightly sniffed at. If Sam was awed by the Oliphaunt, surely Bilbo was overwhelmed by Smaug the magnificent.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

easterlingchief1
Rivendell

Oct 2 2013, 1:16pm

Post #5 of 8 (106 views)
Shortcut
I wonder how much of that impression comes from the Rankin Bass film [In reply to] Can't Post

Orson Bean's line readings in that scene were rather playful and lighthearted, and since that's most people's clearest memory of The Hobbit, maybe that's why people would think Bilbo's is mocking Smaug when he speaks to him.

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 2 2013, 1:25pm

Post #6 of 8 (106 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it can ever have been mocking, as such [In reply to] Can't Post

..because Bilbo is in such terrible danger there, facing a creature big enough to squash him with one toenail if it doesn't fry him.

It's true that he does play on Smaug's vanity, and he thinks of him as 'old fool' at one point, when he sees the bare patch on Smaug's armoured underside - all the same, to have Bilbo go as far as mocking Smaug would reduce Smaug to a cartoon character. Smaug is terrifying, and for me one of the most impressive things in the whole trailer is the way Martin Freeman plays that scene. He says the right words, and you can hear the terror in them. That makes Smaug's voice all the more terrifying.

Fleuz
Lorien

Oct 2 2013, 1:47pm

Post #7 of 8 (103 views)
Shortcut
Freeman makes the difference! [In reply to] Can't Post

And it's time he gets nominated by the Acedemy.
Maybe after the third.
Otherwise you can't take them serious anymore.
Just look at his facials during film one and the snippets of the Trailer. Stupendous!

Long Hammer
The Shire

Oct 2 2013, 2:00pm

Post #8 of 8 (95 views)
Shortcut
false flattery is probably the better term [In reply to] Can't Post

I have not seen the animated one so there is no interpretation from that. Just when I read it, I felt like the flattery was insincere, but the movie trailer made it seem very sincere.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.