Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Northern Mine Barrage :
Didn't notice this being mentioned in the flurry of new threads below: Orcrist?

Elfhelm
Swabbie

Oct 1 2013, 9:54pm

Post #1 of 9 (667 views)
Shortcut
Didn't notice this being mentioned in the flurry of new threads below: Orcrist? Can't Post

What's happened to Orcrist, why isn't Thorin wielding it in any of the shots? He seems to have a more dwarvish blade in each one... or am I seeing things? Shocked

Otherwise I quite like the trailer and how it doesn't really spoil anything. I'm in fact hoping we won't get another one! (There were too many spoilers for AUJ last year with all the alternate trailers and whatnot)

cats16
Sailing Master

Oct 1 2013, 9:57pm

Post #2 of 9 (414 views)
Shortcut
On that topic... [In reply to] Can't Post

Can anyone confirm/deny if Legolas is wielding Orcrist when he is fighting in Lake-town (first shot of him fighting, I believe. It's at night.)?

DanielLB
Captain

Oct 1 2013, 10:01pm

Post #3 of 9 (436 views)
Shortcut
Yes, he does. See here: [In reply to] Can't Post

My guess is that Thranduil confiscates it from Thorin, and gifts it to Legolas (Thranduil believing the blade belongs to them, and not a Dwarf). Legolas will lay it on/in Thorin's tomb in gesture, at the end.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Oct 1 2013, 10:05pm)

Angharad73
Rigger

Oct 1 2013, 10:11pm

Post #4 of 9 (361 views)
Shortcut
I hope... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it won't be Legolas who places Orcrist on Thorin's tomb but Thranduil...Unsure

cats16
Sailing Master

Oct 1 2013, 10:12pm

Post #5 of 9 (317 views)
Shortcut
Ah, thank you Daniel for the screencap. [In reply to] Can't Post

Agree with your thoughts, too.

DanielLB
Captain

Oct 1 2013, 10:17pm

Post #6 of 9 (361 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil will probably lay the ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Arkenstone on Thorin's breast. He may do both, but clearly Legolas will possess Orcrist, so it's more likely to be him. Though I'd prefer that Legolas stayed at home during the Battle of Five Armies. Too much interaction with the Company of Dwarves goes against the hostile relationship between Gimli and Legolas in The Lord of the Rings films.

Old Toby
Gunner

Oct 1 2013, 10:25pm

Post #7 of 9 (310 views)
Shortcut
I think you're right that it will play out like this [In reply to] Can't Post

although for me, I can do without Legolas altogether. I would have thought that Bard would have laid the Arkenstone on Thorin at the end, since he was the one who possessed it at the time (at least on the page). For Thranduil to have it would have been the ultimate insult to Thorin. Of course, anything can happen in the movie. Personally I'd like to see Bard give the Arkenstone and Thranduil give Orcrist. (mumblemumble..dratted elves!)

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Glorfindela
Quartermaster

Oct 1 2013, 10:38pm

Post #8 of 9 (264 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I would prefer that too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I would not like to see either Legolas or Taur at the BoFA. I think all the focus needs to be on the canon characters from the book and their story.

Hopefully they will both stay with the wood elves and encroach as little as little as possible onto the whole story, which will be brilliant enough without them.

In Reply To
Arkenstone on Thorin's breast. He may do both, but clearly Legolas will possess Orcrist, so it's more likely to be him. Though I'd prefer that Legolas stayed at home during the Battle of Five Armies. Too much interaction with the Company of Dwarves goes against the hostile relationship between Gimli and Legolas in The Lord of the Rings films.

Angharad73
Rigger

Oct 2 2013, 4:31am

Post #9 of 9 (149 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely! [In reply to] Can't Post

Why would they need to change that from the book anyway? Thranduil has Orcrist, Bard has the Arkenstone at the end. And they each place them on the tomb. These are quite significant gestures for both of them, given their histories with Thorin. I would be very disappointed if that were changed in the movie.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.