Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Shipper! Not feeling Legoriel, like, at all!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Semper Fi
Rohan

Oct 1 2013, 9:07pm

Post #1 of 58 (1166 views)
Shortcut
Shipper! Not feeling Legoriel, like, at all! Can't Post

OK, so reactions are in all over the Net and while they are generally positive about the trailer, Lego-romance is getting thumbs down across the board. At least Tauriel hate stopped, he, he.

While I'm not against romance ( I get they are trying to expend the audience) I'm just not feeling Legoriel. I don't see any chemistry between them and quite frankly I've never seen Bloom generate sparks with any of his leading ladies ever (Keira, Diane, Kirsten, Eva,Mila - all duds). But, oh boy, when Thranduil said that Legolas grew fond of her, you could just feel it. The chemistry. I'm not joking - those things are obvious in trailers.

So, am I the only one who doesn't feel the designated couple but senses potential in impossible couples that likely won't happen outside of fanfic? IMO, Legolas and Tauriel are so forced and processed;they don't feel organic but like when marketing team sits down and decides what fashion models to use to sell a product. It's too much "Legolas was popular with girls so lets give him a love interest to revive his popularity with Twilight crowd and lets make her an archer like him so Hunger Gamers dig them too." Just too much calculation and too little...how can I put it...real deal.

I was actually totally aboard Taurili because Elf/dwarf pairing is unusual, adorkable, harkens back to Galadriel/Gimli (which was awesome) and ties in with Elves and dwarves learning to respect each other that later produced legendary Legolas/Gimli friendship. But Prince and a pauper girl is so been-there-done-that. I'm yawning just from thinking of it.

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Tauriel saved us from Itaril. Never forget.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 1 2013, 9:14pm

Post #2 of 58 (649 views)
Shortcut
They said that Tauriel's story arch will be familiar to fans [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder what they meant? Does a Silvan elf fall for a prince in the books?

Semper Fi
Rohan

Oct 1 2013, 9:19pm

Post #3 of 58 (580 views)
Shortcut
Don't all Elves fall for Princes and royals in general? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't recall a single Elf who fell in love with a commoner. Tolkien's very particular about this. In his works, a Princess and a Smuggler would never happen.

Did she give more hints?

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 1 2013, 9:20pm

Post #4 of 58 (553 views)
Shortcut
Not sure yet how this will play out. [In reply to] Can't Post

I always was a pro-Tauriel-guy, however, I do not yet know what to think about Legoriel.

For starters, I do like that he likes her, not the other way round ;)

I hope that ultimately this will just lead to some character depth (maybe not even be true, but some meddling of Thranduil who may not like Tauriel's opinion on Evil rising) and not distract, but also a bit careful right now.

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

malickfan
Gondor

Oct 1 2013, 9:32pm

Post #5 of 58 (543 views)
Shortcut
Well wouldn't that refer to Nimrodel and Amrotth? [In reply to] Can't Post

That's the only silvan elvish love story I can remember mentioned in LOTR (I may be wrong as usual), though the actual narrative is in Unfinished Tales.

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Nimrodel

There are also the rumours (please please please be false!!!) that she will take Glorfindel's role as the one with the prophecy who defeats the witch king (though that renders the 'no woman can kill me' rather moot).

I'm taking this with a pich of salt...the history of Durin's Folk is known to fans and look what that got us...

I don't have much to say.

malickfan
Gondor

Oct 1 2013, 9:34pm

Post #6 of 58 (557 views)
Shortcut
There is only one romance necessary in The Hobbit... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and that is between Thorin and his Gold.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 1 2013, 9:35pm

Post #7 of 58 (522 views)
Shortcut
I actually hope for that :D But I have understanding for those saying that this goes too far. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

There are also the rumours (please please please be false!!!) that she will take Glorfindel's role as the one with the prophecy who defeats the witch king (though that renders the 'no woman can kill me' rather moot).

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

malickfan
Gondor

Oct 1 2013, 9:42pm

Post #8 of 58 (515 views)
Shortcut
I'm not going to lie that would be a massive kick in the teeth to me... [In reply to] Can't Post

Almost like the screenwriters having the last laugh over the fans they know have concerns about their approach to the story-first Arwen steal's his role, then Tauriel almost like he dosen't matter.

In anycase I'm more in the camp of seeing a good version of The Hobbit's central story front and center, rather than a checklist of every single quoute and event from the appendices in these films-there is somethign to be said for leaving some stories untold, and if everything is in the films how are necomers to the books supposed to retain their own images or appreciate the books on their own merits?

Jackson is to enthusiastic for his good. Wink

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 1 2013, 9:48pm

Post #9 of 58 (478 views)
Shortcut
Agreed on the part... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that not everything has to be cramped into TH (though there is still so much for necomers to find and discover in Tolkien's literature... the changes alone). I just thought that this could be something meaningful for her to do.

But as I see it now after the trailers, Tauriel does not seem to come close to the Nazgul and therefore probably will not say it ;) (I thought for some time she might be part of the battle at DG, but with images of Legolas in Laketown I guess she will stay up North).

bborchar
Rohan

Oct 1 2013, 9:55pm

Post #10 of 58 (476 views)
Shortcut
I was unaware there was anything to "feel" yet... [In reply to] Can't Post

...since we haven't even seen the movie yet. I don't know how it's possible to judge a possible relationship between two characters when we haven't even seen them on the screen together (and we don't know one character at all).

"The thrill of the chase, the blood pumping through your veins...just the two of us against the rest of the world!" ~ Sherlock

Semper Fi
Rohan

Oct 1 2013, 10:00pm

Post #11 of 58 (458 views)
Shortcut
I'm pro-Tauriel and anti-Legoriel [In reply to] Can't Post

That's seriously the most boring and trite romance they could come up with. Between options such as Kili, Thorin, Bilbo, Fili, Bard, Beorn, Thanduil, they picked the most overused love interest in LOTR Sue fiction - Legolas - and most overused trope - a prince and a commoner. Zzzzzzzzzz.

malickfan
Gondor

Oct 1 2013, 10:01pm

Post #12 of 58 (442 views)
Shortcut
I'd rather not know before the film in anycase... [In reply to] Can't Post

That way I'd be happly ignorant and I might be so shocked if she does that I'd actually accept it!.

Since she is a totally invented character I see no reason for her to take anything from other characters, I sincerely hope Jackson and co inserted her into the films as more than a simple gender balance, and consequently she should have a strong enough storyalready worked up on her one without infringing on set in stone storylines that aren't even needed in the films. What some may call A homage to Glorfindel, I would call an insulting rewrite.

I learned of Azog and Radagast before hand and consquently I hated them even before seeing the films, still hate the fork monster, Raddy's grown on me like the mushrooms growing in his hair :)

This time around I'm trying to be more open minded. It's hard, I'm a pessimistic git by nature!

malickfan
Gondor

Oct 1 2013, 10:03pm

Post #13 of 58 (444 views)
Shortcut
How about Tauriel and Azog? [In reply to] Can't Post

Semper Fi
Rohan

Oct 1 2013, 10:03pm

Post #14 of 58 (455 views)
Shortcut
I'm against it only because it sounds like cursing him with her last breath [In reply to] Can't Post

I see no other reason for exclaiming the prophecy except that he mortally wounded her and she cursed him to die by another woman's hand. In the wake of Legoriel which definitely spells her doom (she isn't in LOTR and he sails to the West with Gimli - go figure) this prophecy business only adds more evidence.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Oct 1 2013, 10:04pm

Post #15 of 58 (434 views)
Shortcut
Better than Legolazzzzzzzz [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

RosieLass
Valinor

Oct 1 2013, 10:06pm

Post #16 of 58 (453 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit doesn't need no stinkin' romance! [In reply to] Can't Post

But if they're dead set on putting one in there, I guess Lego-Tauri is the least bad idea of the lot.

This is pretty much her death sentence, though, because he can't have a girlfriend/wife that he abandons to go on the Ring quest in LOTR. And he's not a teenage boy to fall out of love/lose his boyish crush in the interim.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Semper Fi
Rohan

Oct 1 2013, 10:07pm

Post #17 of 58 (445 views)
Shortcut
It's the worst idea because it is her death sentence [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so miffed.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 1 2013, 10:10pm

Post #18 of 58 (464 views)
Shortcut
Her death might add to the story though. (SPOILERS!!!) [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the idea that the Bot5A is quite costly and a dark end of a journey that started with Bilbo running out of Bag-end.

SPOILERS

If Tauriel is a likable character and her death scene does not take away from Thorin, Fili and Kili, I find it a good dramatic element to have non-dwarves die there (apart from extras).

(This post was edited by Arannir on Oct 1 2013, 10:11pm)

LadyEmmaE
Bree

Oct 1 2013, 10:16pm

Post #19 of 58 (424 views)
Shortcut
Hehe, Legoriel... [In reply to] Can't Post

I love ship names. However, I don't ship it. Nor Taurili. But it's cool if people want to ship it. Shipping is fun!

But can I ship Thorin and Tauriel instead? Angelic Angelic Angelic

Has Tauriel hate really stopped now? That's good news.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Oct 1 2013, 10:27pm

Post #20 of 58 (405 views)
Shortcut
Please ship Thorin and ME! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh
I cannot understand how anyone could fall in love with Legolas or anyone else (though Thrandy is mmmmm, slurp) once they meet Thorin. isn't he a dish all sweaty from gold sickness in the new trailer? HeartHeartHeart

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2013, 10:27pm

Post #21 of 58 (401 views)
Shortcut
Nimrodel and Amroth are one of the nicer love stories [In reply to] Can't Post

But it's in the details, like her getting lost on the mountain passages, one her handmaidens becoming the ancestor of Imrahil's house (I never remember her or it's name!), and Amroth diving into the sea when he saw the ship has left without her.

The way they try to run away from the war, only to be lost and never found again... there's something fateful in that tale, and perhaps something of the fates of the people escaping WWI and WW2.

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Semper Fi
Rohan

Oct 1 2013, 10:32pm

Post #22 of 58 (403 views)
Shortcut
It makes sense [In reply to] Can't Post

that to set up some kind of Elven/Dwarven reconciliation they balance out dwarven losses with an Elven death.

I just don't like the idea that they are basically killing her off just because Legolas in a bachelor in LOTR canon. I see sense of Taurili being Elven/Dwarven Romeo and Juliet or her dying because people die in battle, but just because she's paired with a character who's single in the sequels (aka LOTR)? Sucks, man, sucks. Mad

Semper Fi
Rohan

Oct 1 2013, 10:36pm

Post #23 of 58 (395 views)
Shortcut
That story with Legoriel would be too big a detour [In reply to] Can't Post

and bloat to the running time. It's a nice tragedy to be sure but Legoriel has no screen time to re-enact it without making the movies 4 hours each.

RosieLass
Valinor

Oct 1 2013, 10:39pm

Post #24 of 58 (385 views)
Shortcut
I like the idea of a dwarf-elf pairing even less. [In reply to] Can't Post

If it's platonic, it's too much like Gimli-Galadriel (been there, done that).

I've also always been under the impression (not sure where it comes from though), that elves and dwarves don't just hate each other but they are also physically incompatible. So there's no point to having a non-platonic pairing.

And in any case, I just don't like the idea. Nothing to do with Tauriel.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2013, 10:46pm

Post #25 of 58 (371 views)
Shortcut
I didn't say they should re-enact the Amroth & Nimrodel story with Legolas & Tauriel [In reply to] Can't Post

I just popped in to show appreciation for the Lůrienian tale!

I still believe what PJ said: there will be no romance between Legolas and Tauriel. The trailer seems to have purposefully mislead the audience to imply there is a romance, when in fact in the actual movie Thranduil's lines will mean something entirely different, and be a reference to the political situation.

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.