Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Your Halloween costume?

MaeBeth
Bree

Oct 1 2013, 6:50pm

Post #1 of 23 (746 views)
Shortcut
Your Halloween costume? Can't Post

I love this time of year! I don't have all the pieces yet, but I'm making a 'werecat'. All I have is white cream, black lipstick & youtube. But I'm thinking of doing my face & arms like a white cat (to match a pair of ears & a tail from a few years back) then splattering fake blood with bird feathers (fake of course!) stuck to one hand & a dagger in the other. This is one of those daggers, knives, etc. that have fake blood in them already, so it just kind of sloshes back & forth inside.

I hope it's not too scary, but I wanted to hear other ideas. Do you have anything planned? Please share, & have a happy Halloween!

Also, I'm trying to keep my mind off the DOS trailer...December is too far away right now!Frown

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Oct 1 2013, 7:50pm

Post #2 of 23 (696 views)
Shortcut
Steampunk Batman [In reply to] Can't Post

Based on the comics miniseries Batman: Gotham by Gaslight. Add the aviator's goggles to this and you just about have it.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Altaira on Oct 1 2013, 8:42pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 1 2013, 9:03pm

Post #3 of 23 (678 views)
Shortcut
I'll probably just do my usual and be the scariest thing there is: [In reply to] Can't Post

a math teacher ;-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Donry
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2013, 9:37pm

Post #4 of 23 (674 views)
Shortcut
No Idea Yet... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a 16 month old daughter (will be 17 months by then) so I may have to tame down the costume a bit so as not to scare the wee one. Could just be some weird thrown-together type thing that really isn't anything...

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

http://donryfetor.blogspot.com/
@DonryFetor

bborchar
Rohan

Oct 1 2013, 9:57pm

Post #5 of 23 (669 views)
Shortcut
Well, dorks we are... [In reply to] Can't Post

My 2 year old son is going as the 10th Doctor, my 4 year old daughter is going as The Queen of the Night (from "The Magic Flute") and I'm going to go with them as the 11th Doctor (he's easy to do and I have most of it already).

"The thrill of the chase, the blood pumping through your veins...just the two of us against the rest of the world!" ~ Sherlock

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 1 2013, 11:11pm

Post #6 of 23 (667 views)
Shortcut
I answer the door.... [In reply to] Can't Post

and coo, "Ooh... are you a princess?" and "Oh! Iron Man!"

Last year, I sat on the steps with my candy and got chilly so I grabbed a fluffy yarn scarf Laerasea gave me for Christmas one year. Like this: http://img0.etsystatic.com/...0.400960996_rs0t.jpg but in darker colors.

The little kids wouldn't come up to me. I think with my long grey hair and the wild scarf, they thought I was a witch or something. I had to take the scarf off. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 1 2013, 11:13pm

Post #7 of 23 (673 views)
Shortcut
One costume that showed up at a folk dance Halloween evening... [In reply to] Can't Post

was a guy in a toga with a piece of paper pinned to it that showed this:

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Oct 2 2013, 2:15am

Post #8 of 23 (659 views)
Shortcut
WIN! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the nerdy stuff like this. Hmm... must think of something along these lines that I could try... oh, I'm not nearly clever enough by half. Should probably just be Fili. Tongue

(Lol. It won't actually happen. I've never made my own costume and have no idea where to start. But it sounds like it would be fun.)

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

squire
Valinor

Oct 2 2013, 3:26am

Post #9 of 23 (662 views)
Shortcut
I know who he was! [In reply to] Can't Post

Al-pith Agoraz, the famous Arabic geometer who introduced symbolic equations to medieval Europe.

(1000 years after the Greeks systematized geometry using only a compass, straightedge, and logic).

And I say History teachers are scarier than Math teachers.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Oct 2 2013, 5:27pm

Post #10 of 23 (647 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmmm.... [In reply to] Can't Post

With the toga, I was thinking Pythagoras. I could be totally wrong though.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Oct 2 2013, 5:29pm

Post #11 of 23 (640 views)
Shortcut
I met a kid.... [In reply to] Can't Post

He didn't have any money for a costume, so he just taped dozens of smarties (a candy) to his pants, and was a "Smarty-Pants"!!

I loved that kid and his creativity!!

Elwen
Lorien

Oct 2 2013, 5:54pm

Post #12 of 23 (641 views)
Shortcut
These days my costume is put together... [In reply to] Can't Post

based on how much time is left after dressing the elleths. I bought this pattern and want to make it for myself, but time always gets away from me because I end up spending two months sewing Hogwarts robes, mermaid tails, or this year, an ice queen costume.

I think what I need to do is make my costume this winter, so that it's done well before the little ones make their decisions next fall and take over my sewing time.

My old standby on years when I don't have time is a pirate.

photo Desolation-of-Smaug2_zpsc1584ee1.jpg
Tauriel: So let me get this straight sir, this Elwen girl is back on something called TORn, and rather than just tell her to stop stalking you, you'd like me to show up in a movie I have no business being in as a ploy to distract her, and nevermind the wrath of countless Tolkien fans who will be calling for my destruction?

Legolas: That about sums it up. Besides, some people might like you. Oh, and to be on the safe side, can we pretend to be a couple too?

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 3 2013, 2:54am

Post #13 of 23 (633 views)
Shortcut
I thought... [In reply to] Can't Post

he was Pythagoras. But I don't think I ever asked for confirmation from him.

zarabia
Grey Havens

Oct 3 2013, 4:32am

Post #14 of 23 (614 views)
Shortcut
LOL! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 3 2013, 4:37am

Post #15 of 23 (612 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

zarabia
Grey Havens

Oct 3 2013, 4:38am

Post #16 of 23 (617 views)
Shortcut
A toddler David Tennant Dr. - how cute! [In reply to] Can't Post

I dressed as a Tom Baker Dr. one year. My sister had knitted me a scarf a la the 4th Dr. so with that and a puffy shirt and some boots I was recognizable to those who were familiar with Dr. Who.Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 3 2013, 10:07am

Post #17 of 23 (619 views)
Shortcut
But he was definitely... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Mr. Right".

(How's that for a new angle on it?)

Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

squire
Valinor

Oct 3 2013, 7:23pm

Post #18 of 23 (612 views)
Shortcut
Just teasing. [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course that costume states "I am Pythagoras" to any of us today.

But what I've learned since I started teaching a kind of 'history of math' course is that although a^2 + b^2 = c^2 is the Pythagorean Theorem, Pythagoras himself never used such algebraic language to express it. Algebra came to Greece (i.e., Europe) a lot later, courtesy of the Arabs.

Pythagoras, like all Greek geometers, thought in terms of triangles, circles, and the comparative areas of squares; one translation of his theorem goes:

"The area of the square built upon the hypotenuse of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the areas of the squares upon the remaining sides."

He would 'shorthand' this statement, not with a formula, but with a diagram like this - something you can draw in the sand for all to understand:

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 4 2013, 12:14am

Post #19 of 23 (601 views)
Shortcut
I kind of figured it was a clever joke of some kind. [In reply to] Can't Post

lol.. but it flew way over my head.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Oct 4 2013, 2:08am

Post #20 of 23 (594 views)
Shortcut
What was the reward/award? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't think of anyone I would knit a Dr. Who scarf for! If I attempted that, I would be on the news . And not in a good way. ;)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

zarabia
Grey Havens

Oct 4 2013, 3:34am

Post #21 of 23 (594 views)
Shortcut
Yes, my sister is awesome :) [In reply to] Can't Post

She knitted it when she was pregnant with her first child and had to take it easy for the last month. Even though she did it in part to have something to do with her hands and relieve boredom, she gave it to me instead of keeping it for herself. If I had put that much work into something I would have been hard pressed to give it up. Tongue She really is a wonderful sister. Smile

MistyMountain
Lorien

Oct 6 2013, 1:38am

Post #22 of 23 (595 views)
Shortcut
Plague victim [In reply to] Can't Post

Since I already have a full renaissance outfit (peasant woman) from working the RenFaire this summer, I thought I could don that garb and just add some lovely "bubos" (the large blisters on sufferers of bubonic plague). They also apparently would get gangrene in their extremities so I'm gonna stain my fingertips black and wear black nail polish. I will post a pic (but only if it comes out looking really great!).

Old Toby
Gondor

Oct 6 2013, 6:46am

Post #23 of 23 (574 views)
Shortcut
I love Halloween! The one time of year when I can let my Inner Child (or whatever it is) run free! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a lot of costumes I've used not just at Halloween, but at special movie-related parties: Harry Potter (Gryffindor & Ravenclaw robes, Nymphadora Tonks outfit), Twilight (Alice outfit), LOTR (several elvish dresses, Pippin outfit), The Hobbit:AUJ (Bilbo outfit). But this year I'm spending Halloween night at the theater watching Benedict Cumberbatch as The Creature in the National Theatre Live's showing of Frankenstein! (I saw it last year...both shows - first with BC as Creature and JLM as the Dr. and secondly with their roles reversed). I can't think of a better way to spend my Halloween.

For the occasion, being a die-hard Sherlock fan, I got a Sherlockology Tshirt to wear for the occasion, which I'll wear with black leggings and boots. Not much, I know, but I want to be comfortable for the show...and I haven't decided whether or not to wear my deerstalker hat! LOL! Oh yeah, I am SHER locked!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.