Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Legola and Tauriel romance???
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Louise Mar

Oct 1 2013, 1:44pm

Post #1 of 29 (1283 views)
Shortcut
Legola and Tauriel romance??? Can't Post

Thrandui:"Legolas is grown very found of you,I will not give him hope where there is none".Peter said there's not romantic connection between them.What do you think?

Shagrat
Gondor

Oct 1 2013, 1:49pm

Post #2 of 29 (735 views)
Shortcut
Could be spliced lines meant to mislead the viewer [In reply to] Can't Post

The 'give hope' part may refer to something else. Just like at the end - it's clear when Balin say's 'His name is Bilbo', it is not in direct response to Thorin's previous exchange with Bilbo.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Oct 1 2013, 1:51pm

Post #3 of 29 (739 views)
Shortcut
Could be... [In reply to] Can't Post

that the context is not what it appears, but they are seeming to want us to interpret that way!

Perhaps Thranduil does not consider Tauriel suitable marriage material for Legolas because she's Sylvan?

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Elskidor
Rohan

Oct 1 2013, 1:54pm

Post #4 of 29 (688 views)
Shortcut
It won't happed [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas saves himself for Gimli.

Angharad73
Rohan

Oct 1 2013, 2:00pm

Post #5 of 29 (674 views)
Shortcut
It does look like that, doesn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

With what Thranduil says, and just before that, the look Legolas gives Tauriel... But it wouldn't be the first time that a trailer is, well, misleading with stuff like that.

I'm not entirely sure what to make of it and whether I like it or not. Crazy

deskp
Lorien

Oct 1 2013, 2:08pm

Post #6 of 29 (640 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

It helps make Thranduil seem conservative.

If Legolas is semi in love with her, and she dies, then that kindof serve as motivation for Legolas to go on the quest in LOTR

(This post was edited by deskp on Oct 1 2013, 2:09pm)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 1 2013, 2:39pm

Post #7 of 29 (530 views)
Shortcut
This could be the heartbreak that turns him off ladies and towards sharing Tauriel's fascinaition for male Dwarves! [In reply to] Can't Post

lol. He seeks to see what Kili has that he doesn't. . . Gimli shows him! Shocked lololol

In Reply To
Legolas saves himself for Gimli.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Oct 1 2013, 2:50pm

Post #8 of 29 (511 views)
Shortcut
*fingers crossed* [In reply to] Can't Post

'Very fond' does not necessarily imply love, although I think it's meant to be read that way. I'm hoping it's just a line to draw all the teenage girls who only care about the love stories (i.e., the insane shippers) in to see the movie. It will probably work. Frown I can already hear the sounds of thousands of keyboards as they write their horrible fanfics...

That being said, I know of a series where a trailer played up the 'love triangle aspect' and hinted that one couple would kiss in upcoming episodes... and then, the viewers drawn in, completely ignored everything they put in the trailer. My fingers are crossed that this will be a bit of that case in DoS. Legolas will hopefully be fond of Tauriel as a friend or sister or whatever, and I dunno... something tells me that if they do have him like her *in that way* he won't have figured it out. His facial expression didn't scream to me, "OMG I luv u," but rather, "You're kinda interesting and I don't know why."

And then, if she dies, he'll be more sympathetic in memory of her to the Dwarves she was (apparently) more sympathetic towards. If that's all it is, I can live with it. Tongue Wink

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

TheBrewingOfAle

Oct 1 2013, 2:55pm

Post #9 of 29 (504 views)
Shortcut
if anyone remembers... [In reply to] Can't Post

in lord of the rings gandalf says to bilbo that frodo is "very fond of you".

Na Vedui
Rohan

Oct 1 2013, 2:56pm

Post #10 of 29 (482 views)
Shortcut
You might be right [In reply to] Can't Post

and they're making a "why Legolas isn't married" backstory here.

As for why it doesn't seem to be on - three possible explanations:
1. As has been suggested in this thread, Thranduil doesn't want his son to "marry beneath him" and is warning Tauriel off.
2. Tauriel is a career elf, likes her fighting, doesn't want to settle down and look after a family, but has not yet screwed herself up to hurt Legolas' feelings by telling him.
3. It's one of those unfortunate A loves B loves C situations, where C probably = Thranduil. (I doubt Kili is seriously in the running!)

Dragonrnbw
Rivendell

Oct 1 2013, 3:15pm

Post #11 of 29 (478 views)
Shortcut
To me it seems to prove [In reply to] Can't Post

To me it seems to confirm the Tauriel in love with Thranduil rumor. Legolas has developed feelings for her and his father knows she does not feel the same.
The look on her face to me looks as if she is feeling some guilt - she doesn't want to hurt Legolas but she clearly has feelings for someone else.
The way it is presented looks as if Thranduil is aware she has feelings for him...and ( to me) it could possibly hint at a secret affair between them. Now that would TOTALLY go against what Tolkien wrote about the laws and customs of the Eldar. ( but Jackson has gone against what Tolkien has written before)
Just my impression ...

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 1 2013, 4:05pm

Post #12 of 29 (387 views)
Shortcut
Well, we'll see, but I suspect you're reading too much into it.... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's equally possible to read that scene as saying that there's a reason why no romance can exist between Legolas and Tauriel and both she and the King know that reason - irrespective of what it is. I can't see anything there that even suggests an affair between the King and Tauriel, much less confirms it And I can't honestly believe that's a storyline they would choose to insert in a film of The Hobbit. Too much invention to absolutely no purpose.

What I take from that scene is that there's no actual romance between anyone. The King thinks Legolas is growing too fond and is trying to put a stop to it. That's all - and he could be wrong.

easterlingchief1
Rivendell

Oct 1 2013, 4:42pm

Post #13 of 29 (336 views)
Shortcut
On the bright side, at least it's not Tauriel-Kili [In reply to] Can't Post

They were always going to have the token, movie-only female character get involved with a male character. At least she's romantically entangled with the other character who's being inserted into the story and not someone from the book. That way, at least, the Jackson and Co fabricated stuff will be more of less separate from the material Tolkien thought up.

That, and elf-dwarf romances really only seem to work if they're platonic (i.e. Gimli and Galadirel), don't they? I mean, does anyone else find that pairing kinda disturbing?

Man I hope that doesn't make me sound racist Crazy

Dragonrnbw
Rivendell

Oct 1 2013, 4:42pm

Post #14 of 29 (339 views)
Shortcut
Yes I may be reading into it too much but [In reply to] Can't Post

I may be reading into it too much but to me the mood and setting could easily imply that. He is in his private chamber pouring wine... The brief look he gives her...turning slowly...obviously he knows she for whatever reason can't be with Legolas. What could that reason be?
I don't believe it is her station...if she was 'below' Legolas then Legolas would know that she was out of bounds and there would be no hope. Also per HOME they joined with the silvan elves and adopted their customs which implies to me they like them wanted to be like them and less like the Nordor. So I don't believe they see them as lowly or beneath them. The best way to strengthen loyalty and allies is to marry into the family/ people. ( as our history - arranged marriages between kingdoms etc...)
Per interviews we know Thranduil is also fond of Tauriel - I think the phrase 'soft spot' was used. It is one of the reasons Legolas notices her....so why does Thranduil feel that way and how deep is it? Does she take it the wrong way due to her youth and inexperience? Does she read to much into it?
Also, why is she Captain of the Guards? A question that has bugged me. Yes she has skill...but you need more than skill to lead! She is the youngest, least experienced in war, impulsive, and to me it seems emotional... These are not qualities for the Captain of the Guard! Maybe once she grows up a little...but she doesn't even follow his orders. So why did he make her Captain??
I don't think she will die and her death is the reason Legolas leaves for LOTR. Maybe she influences him to become involved but it is possible he leaves to get over her. He knows they cannot be so he goes off or his father sends him off for that reason?
We will not know until December 13... :)

Erewen
The Shire

Oct 1 2013, 5:05pm

Post #15 of 29 (303 views)
Shortcut
Just a thought [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps Thranduil is warning Tauriel not to try and change Legolas' mind about something. So far I have got the impression that Tauriel is trying to convince them to participate in a fight whether with orcs or goblins or Smaug I do not know, she says "it is our fight" in the first trailer this is implying that the rest of the elves don't believe they should get involved. Because she and Legolas are friendly, though it might be in purely platonic way, she has some influence over how he thinks. Maybe it means:

"Legolas has grown very fond of you" and therefore will listen to your opinion.
"Do not give him hope where there is none." i.e don't try and persuade him that we have a chance of winning so we should fight

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2013, 5:08pm

Post #16 of 29 (331 views)
Shortcut
A rather obvious Trailer Always Lies moment, if you ask me [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil's lines sound like they're from two separate scenes, and the hope he is referring to is most likely hope against enemy, hope in any fight outside defending their ever smaller forest home.

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 1 2013, 5:14pm

Post #17 of 29 (291 views)
Shortcut
That line [In reply to] Can't Post

Just watching it again I think Thranduil is talking more about not giving Legolas hope about getting involved in Middle-earth's business.

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 1 2013, 5:27pm

Post #18 of 29 (262 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I think you're right... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's ambiguous, and your reading of it, and Erewen's and Elessar;s, sound much more likely to me.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2013, 5:36pm

Post #19 of 29 (247 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, I'm new. I fell in love with the LOTR saga for the first time after getting and playing the LEGO LOTR video game for my birthday in May this year (2013). I'm currently reading the books. I'll think of a better signature eventually...

sycorax82
Rohan

Oct 1 2013, 5:38pm

Post #20 of 29 (293 views)
Shortcut
It's because she's in love with Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't we hear ages and ages ago that Tauriel will have an 'obsession' with Thranduil, or something? So it seems they have made Legolas be in love with her but it's unrequited because she loves Thranduil, his father!!! o.o

Na Vedui
Rohan

Oct 1 2013, 6:05pm

Post #21 of 29 (266 views)
Shortcut
That seems more credible [In reply to] Can't Post

than a Thranduil-Tauriel affair, I think, if there is going to be anything between them at all. It would be more Tolkien-like - a sort of Faramir - Eowyn - Aragorn - Arwen setup, but with Thranduil loyal to the memory of Legolas' (presumably late) mother, and Legolas (perhaps) not getting anywhere with Tauriel either.

If Legolas' mother is dead and the cause of her death has any connection with Thranduil's reluctance to involve himself in other people's battles, it would add a painful edge to the whole "it is/isn't our fight" issue for both father and son.

Dragonrnbw
Rivendell

Oct 1 2013, 6:40pm

Post #22 of 29 (222 views)
Shortcut
I don't think [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think there is an affair going on between Thranduil and Tauriel. I would hope not as it does go against the laws and customs. I just was saying it is possible to make that leap from those lines and scene. I was just tossing that out as a possible read of that scene.
Personally I think Legolas has feelings for Tauriel. Tauriel has secret feelings for ________ and Thranduil knows she does not love Legolas. Due to rumor way back in April and due to Tauriel's youth I honestly think she has feelings for Thranduil. Thranduil does not have romantic feelings for her as it is against the laws and customs. The Eldar ( except one) marry once...no affairs...no rape...
A young woman or elf falling in love with a powerful confident and older man / elf is not unheard of. And it makes sense to me.
As far as Thranduil telling Tauriel not to give Legolas hope for joining the battle ...well...that doesn't make sense to me. I would think he would use the word encourage and not hope. He is also talking about feelings..he has grown very fond of you.do not give him hope where there is none ..hope would be she feels the same for him.
I t makes sense to me that Tauriel is in love with Thranduil and he rebuffs her..which is why the romance goes no further and is a minor storyline in the film but dictates her actions. Legolas is in love with her so he hangs around her and when he finds out she doesn't feel the same he leaves to get over for him. ( LOTR bridge) no reason for him to stay in Mirkwood and 'protect her'.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Oct 1 2013, 7:02pm

Post #23 of 29 (211 views)
Shortcut
I'm not liking romance with Legolas because that spells her death [In reply to] Can't Post

unless the writers want to rewrite everything and make her join Legolas and Gimli on the ship to the West.

Romance with Thranduil would not have to kill her off. Thranduil could marry her and as the Queen of Mirkwood she wouldn't be obliged to join the war in LOTR.

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Tauriel saved us from Itaril. Never forget.

Na Vedui
Rohan

Oct 1 2013, 7:25pm

Post #24 of 29 (186 views)
Shortcut
Brainstorming ... [In reply to] Can't Post

--- is half the fun, isn't it?

Worst case scenario:

Tauriel: Alas, Legolas, I cannot return your affections. My heart is given to Another
Legolas: Name him!
Tauriel: Aaaaa-
Legolas (helpfully): - choo?
Tauriel. Aaaa -
Legolas: What?
Tauriel: -zog!

Dragonrnbw
Rivendell

Oct 1 2013, 7:36pm

Post #25 of 29 (166 views)
Shortcut
Rotfl [In reply to] Can't Post

Cute!!! Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.