Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Watch the new trailer HERE:
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 1 2013, 3:07pm

Post #76 of 120 (716 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

And the terror in McKellen's voice while saying "... our enemy has returned" is worth that time-change of the discovery of Sauron's presence!

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2013, 3:10pm

Post #77 of 120 (705 views)
Shortcut
AWESOMESAUCE! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow I am just speechless. Smaug's voice was menacing and frightening. And I loved how Martin played a frightened Bilbo! He was trembling. You can hear his voice and see it in his body mechanics. PERFECT.

I loved the whole thing. Dol Guldur, Gandalf, Bard, glimpse of Beorn, Thorin and most of all Balin "HIs name...is Bilbo".

Love it love it love it!

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Oct 1 2013, 3:11pm

Post #78 of 120 (694 views)
Shortcut
Eye of Sauron, yeah! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was especially pleased by the way Gandalf swung his staff around just before the flash of the Eye - reminded me of the scene in FOTR when he bends down and his fingertip just barely grazes the Ring... and Sauron's eye flashes.

Plus, it'll be nice seeing ninja!Gandalf. Wink I know some people on here will be pleased if he gets to demonstrate that he is a Maia. Bonus points if Radagast does something awesome. Seeing the Istari put up a concerted effort would be beyond exciting. Shocked Laugh Can't wait!!!

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 1 2013, 3:11pm

Post #79 of 120 (702 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if he is talking to The Council when he says "We've been blind" [In reply to] Can't Post

as I don't think it is part of the same scene where he is shown commenting on Sauron's return. I hope there is some magic effect when his staff hits whatever he is swinging at! lol. I think this trailer will excite a lot of fence sitters. I am excited!

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 1 2013, 3:15pm

Post #80 of 120 (682 views)
Shortcut
Thank you so much, Daniel! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've just watched it on full screen. Fabulous to see Bilbo, Thorin, Gandalf and Thranduil so well portrayed.

Smaug's voice is superb, and I'm glad we haven't been spoilered when it comes to Beorn and Smaug.

Phew!

Now I am finished for the day.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 1 2013, 3:26pm

Post #81 of 120 (669 views)
Shortcut
Great internet reception... mostly. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Regular" people on Twitter, FB and Youtube seem to react overwhelmingly thrilled by the trailer.... just what the movie seemed to need after luke-warm reviews for AUJ and rather slow marketing for DoS so far. I thing that strategy will pay off.

However, some on IMDB and especially boxoffice.com - usually the self-proclaimed "experts" - talk it down, speaking of the last "nail" in the coffin for the franchise etc. I wonder when franchise wars have become such a thing on the internet... well, whatever ;)

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Oct 1 2013, 3:28pm

Post #82 of 120 (625 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

The marketing department finally woke up, it would seem. I loved the first AUJ teaser, but the main trailer and teaser for DOS were both underwhelming. This one was fantastic though.

It still doesn't come close to the LotR trailers, though. Those were pieces of art onto themselves.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Oct 1 2013, 3:40pm

Post #83 of 120 (590 views)
Shortcut
Any HD screencaps? [In reply to] Can't Post

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2013, 3:43pm

Post #84 of 120 (610 views)
Shortcut
Thank you PJ, this was exactly what we needed [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel less worried now. It looks great.

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2013, 3:45pm

Post #85 of 120 (610 views)
Shortcut
Took me by surprise [In reply to] Can't Post

I had expected something softer, kind of combination of a cat and a snake. But this was very good. Can't wait to hear more of it!

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Oct 1 2013, 3:55pm

Post #86 of 120 (585 views)
Shortcut
Impressed by Luke Evans here [In reply to] Can't Post

His interactions with Thorin seem quite intense.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 1 2013, 3:57pm

Post #87 of 120 (535 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

When he speaks he has nothing left of "Will Turner".

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 1 2013, 3:57pm

Post #88 of 120 (540 views)
Shortcut
Daniel thanks so much! [In reply to] Can't Post

For the link.Heart

Finally got a chance to watch it - with headphones sound was amazing.

Highlights...after the initial WOW factor:

"I have the only right..."

Uneasy alliance of Thranduil and Thorin (?) Intriguing.

Gandalf...about their blindness...as usual he looks utterly perfect. "Our enemy..." in that magnificently wise and worried voice. OMG. It looks a lot like the shot before Radagast moves up, and asks if its a trap, that we have seen previously. And hint that the move against Dol Goldur was not *necessarily* known to be against Sauron until that moment, and Gandalf has the first hard clue?

Formost: I REALLY liked that segment of Bilbo, and the Ring...the horrified covering of his mouth. Has he seen the Eye? Or dark tidings? And concealing it from Gandalf: its work has begun again. Wonderful.

ADDING: And Smaug...let's jut say in that part I was grinning like an six year old. SmileHeart

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

(This post was edited by Brethil on Oct 1 2013, 3:58pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 1 2013, 4:01pm

Post #89 of 120 (532 views)
Shortcut
I want you to enjoy DoS!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Darnit!!!!

It does look impressive...hoping it comes through for you more than AUJ!

I agree on BC...Smaug quite honestly is breathtaking. And that voice.

Angelic

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 1 2013, 4:09pm

Post #90 of 120 (503 views)
Shortcut
Couldn't wait to see your post on this A-O [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought that the shot where he is speaking the actual sentence - in the center bit - looks like right before Radagast comes walking up, and asks if its a trap. The background to me looks similar and the angle and depth of field looks the same.

So (as I posted in my first quick response) the question is if Gandalf is saying those words *right* before they appear to advance - is the move against Dol Goldur against an 'unknown' at that point, and the final confirmation comes to Gandalf at that point? In which case maybe the White Council is still thinking some sort of unknown, unspecified enemy before they advance into the field?

That could account for the bit of chaos that seems implied by Galadriel assisting Gandalf. (?)

imin
Valinor

Oct 1 2013, 4:26pm

Post #91 of 120 (497 views)
Shortcut
I do like the look of it :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I have watched the trailer a few times now and (for me) it looks like it will be better than AUJ which i thought was good in parts, not so good in others.

I think Smaug's voice is awesome and was the stand out part of the trailer for me but there was much to like - basically everything. I thought Tauriel looked ok but not that sure on the relationship/non-relationship between Tauriel and Legolas but i think Lee Pace as Thranduil looks fantastic and his voice again is perfect.

Overall i really liked it and it has made me feel much more interested in the movies again but i don't want to get carried away, lol.

'What's the matter with you?' - J.R.R. Tolkien

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Oct 1 2013, 4:30pm

Post #92 of 120 (465 views)
Shortcut
thanks for sharing! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a wonderful thing to wake up to!

I've been so excited for this movie, but I kind of forgot how excited I was until watching this trailer!

It hit all the right notes. Curious to see how all the allegiances play out in the expanded Hobbit-Lore of Jackson's films.

I wonder how the journey between Laketown and Erebor will be shown.

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

(This post was edited by There&ThereAgain on Oct 1 2013, 4:31pm)

nhui06
Rivendell

Oct 1 2013, 4:39pm

Post #93 of 120 (449 views)
Shortcut
May not be in DOS [In reply to] Can't Post

They probably added the Eye to bring more LOTR feels- to remind the audience this is related to LOTR. I actually do not expect the Eye to appear until the last scene of TABA where the Eye first lights up Mordor (how awesome will that be to close off TABA). Remember back with the TTT trailers that they threw in some scenes from ROTK in there, so you can't believe everything you see here.

Na Vedui
Rohan

Oct 1 2013, 4:39pm

Post #94 of 120 (509 views)
Shortcut
I've a feeling that Thranduil is going to [In reply to] Can't Post

follow up the word "help" with something along the lines of "at a price, of course".

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 1 2013, 4:50pm

Post #95 of 120 (437 views)
Shortcut
I agree ... [In reply to] Can't Post

That line seems to be sort of cut short off doesn't it? With that look.

cats16
Valinor

Oct 1 2013, 5:03pm

Post #96 of 120 (426 views)
Shortcut
Psst...Daniel... [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw a few birds flying around near the beginning of the trailer. Looks like a red one (cardinal-ish?) and a couple of yellow/brown ones.

Now I'm really bird-watching!Laugh

Thranderz
Rohan

Oct 1 2013, 5:13pm

Post #97 of 120 (392 views)
Shortcut
One word: Fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

I simply walked into Mordor.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Oct 1 2013, 5:20pm

Post #98 of 120 (397 views)
Shortcut
I think so too... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm definitely wondering what the rest of the conversation between Thranduil and Thorin is going to be like and how it will develop into the dwarves being imprisoned. The snipets that we've heard from the trailers where Thranduil seem really quite calm and reserved certainly haven't sounded like the intense and lengthy interrogation from the book where he's accusing the dwarves of disturbing the peace and "molesting" his people. Also, I've seen a clip where Thranduil is standing mere inches away from Thorin and practically spitting in his face as he talks. When is that going to happen?

Hi, I'm new. I fell in love with the LOTR saga for the first time after getting and playing the LEGO LOTR video game for my birthday in May this year (2013). I'm currently reading the books. I'll think of a better signature eventually...

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 1 2013, 5:23pm

Post #99 of 120 (364 views)
Shortcut
You are probably right. For one thing, he has his hat, and I think he may leave that one behind in Dol Guldur [In reply to] Can't Post

though I am not certain. All the shots of him from the vlogs in places that we would assume to be after his escape from Dol Guldur show him without the hat. We shall see.

In Reply To
I thought that the shot where he is speaking the actual sentence - in the center bit - looks like right before Radagast comes walking up, and asks if its a trap. The background to me looks similar and the angle and depth of field looks the same.

So (as I posted in my first quick response) the question is if Gandalf is saying those words *right* before they appear to advance - is the move against Dol Goldur against an 'unknown' at that point, and the final confirmation comes to Gandalf at that point? In which case maybe the White Council is still thinking some sort of unknown, unspecified enemy before they advance into the field?

That could account for the bit of chaos that seems implied by Galadriel assisting Gandalf. (?)

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

PattyJB
Rivendell

Oct 1 2013, 5:25pm

Post #100 of 120 (383 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic delivery by Balin [In reply to] Can't Post

"His name is Bilbo" is where I teared up. In addition to the kindness that Balin has shown Bilbo, the relationship between Thorin & Balin has been so well drawn that this line in context is going to rip my heart out.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.