Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Necromancer

KingTurgon
Rohan

Oct 1 2013, 4:49pm

Post #1 of 11 (919 views)
Shortcut
The Necromancer Can't Post

Have we seen what he will look like yet? I find it really interesting that they are telling us almost nothing about him. Benedict Cumberbatch is playing him so I thought they'd hype up the role considering the profile of the actor. And yes I know he is Sauron lol. Any thoughts?

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 1 2013, 4:52pm

Post #2 of 11 (571 views)
Shortcut
Woah-woah-woah. Spolier Alert! [In reply to] Can't Post

Lots of people using these boards at this time and you drop an S-bomb! A lot of people don't know about Sauron yet!

However he looks, I hope he at least has severed fingers. I'm glad they're not showing much, though. (although the eye in the trailer was a bit of a hint) We need at least this to remain an enigma.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Oct 1 2013, 4:53pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 1 2013, 5:06pm

Post #3 of 11 (480 views)
Shortcut
BC and the Necromancer [In reply to] Can't Post

Firstly, lets not overhype Benedict Crumberbatch's profile. He got and gets a lot of praise for Sherlock and got some wider audiences via Star Trek, but he has not yet a selling power of one of the absolute audience draws such as DiCaprio, Clooney, Depp, and Co. Not one that makes a blockbuster BO difference anyway.

If BC will become a draw BO wise then because word of mouth might be great for his dragon voice.

As for the Necromancer... I guess there will not be that much to show anyway, I doubt we will see that much from him. Maybe hear a bit more... and it was good not to add another mysterious voice to the trailer.

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

nhui06
Rivendell

Oct 1 2013, 5:28pm

Post #4 of 11 (399 views)
Shortcut
Benedict's rise was more of a recent event [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit first started production in 2010 I believe, so at that time Benedict was not as big as he is today. Certainly helps these films gain more attention now that Benedict has blown up, but I do not expect him to play a big role (since he did his scenes back in 2010/2011).

Remus
Lorien

Oct 1 2013, 7:52pm

Post #5 of 11 (279 views)
Shortcut
Spoiler [In reply to] Can't Post

*spoiler*
Do you guys think PJ will explain how the Necromancer goes from being a wraith and turned into a burning eye? Because we do see the lidless eye in the trailer. And it was AMAZING!

malickfan
Gondor

Oct 1 2013, 8:27pm

Post #6 of 11 (230 views)
Shortcut
Well, he'd have to explain it if he was going down that route... [In reply to] Can't Post

Wouldn't it be kind of random to go from a walkng talking Sauron to one hidden in a gaint eyeball?

There is to the best of my knowledge absolutely no reference to how Sauron looses his physical body in the books PJ and co has acess to to, so at this point I guess it's wide open...perhaps that necromancer and smaug rumour isn't to far off the truth.

Bit of a pointless reply, sorry!

I don't have much to say.

Remus
Lorien

Oct 1 2013, 9:08pm

Post #7 of 11 (189 views)
Shortcut
Sauron sitting on the dark throne [In reply to] Can't Post

In my mind it kinda makes sense that Sauron is SITTING on his dark throne just right below the huge burning eye. He sits there, kinda meditating and he summons the eye to look around almost the entire Middle-earth.

Oleander Took
Rivendell

Oct 1 2013, 9:12pm

Post #8 of 11 (166 views)
Shortcut
Benedict was back in NZ [In reply to] Can't Post

to film and work on his characters this Summer around June, and again a couple of days in September. Of these it's only known that the September visit was to work on Smaug's voice

"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."

Thranderz
Rohan

Oct 1 2013, 9:20pm

Post #9 of 11 (154 views)
Shortcut
Same [In reply to] Can't Post

I imagine it like that, despite the fact he does not have a physical form Wink

I simply walked into Mordor.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 1 2013, 9:26pm

Post #10 of 11 (149 views)
Shortcut
It could be more vision-like [In reply to] Can't Post

Similar to how Aragorn saw him with the Palantir in his hand.

He could also remain rather ghost like and then at some point the eye is revealed.

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

kbdiggity
Rivendell

Oct 3 2013, 10:19pm

Post #11 of 11 (30 views)
Shortcut
.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In my mind it kinda makes sense that Sauron is SITTING on his dark throne just right below the huge burning eye. He sits there, kinda meditating and he summons the eye to look around almost the entire Middle-earth.

Sauron has not been able to take physical form since the ring was severed from his hand. Gandalf even reiterates this in the Fellowship of the Ring.

So he won't be sitting anywhere.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.