Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Want to go to the Desolation of Smaug Premiere? Are you the world's biggest Hobbit fan?

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Sep 30 2013, 4:30pm

Post #1 of 9 (617 views)
Shortcut
Want to go to the Desolation of Smaug Premiere? Are you the world's biggest Hobbit fan? Can't Post

Last year, you may remember that Denny's had a Hobbit menu in their restaurants during the holiday season. Today we can reveal that they're doing it again this year, with an all new menu to be launched close to the film's release; but the REALLY exciting news is the contest they'll be launching tomorrow, to celebrate their renewed partnership with Warner Bros. and the Hobbit movies.

Denny's will be hosting 'The Search for Middle-earth's Greatest Fan'. This competition will run throughout the month of October, and will be for an AMAZING prize: a two-night trip for two, including flights and hotel, to see the Desolation of Smaug world premiere! That's right; if you're deemed Middle-earth's Greatest Fan, your reward will be that you will get to be in the audience at the world premiere screening of the next Hobbit movie, in December this year.

How do you win such an incredible prize? Full details of the competition will be coming tomorrow, when Denny's make their official launch, but we can let you know that you'll need to make a video explaining WHY you are the biggest fan. Tomorrow a website will go live, where you can upload such a video; we'll let you know details, such as how long it should be and any other rules.

Denny's will pick their favourite videos. They will then send those videos along to us here at TORn, where we will pick, from Denny's favourites, what we think should be the top five. This top five will then be sent to Peter Jackson himself, who will choose his favourite to be the winner. Does it get any better than that? - Peter Jackson himself choosing the lucky winner who will get to join him at the premiere.

TORn is excited to be partnering with Denny's on this. If you read this post last year, you'll know that we were pleasantly surprised by the care and attention Denny's gave to their Hobbit menu. This year they've been going even further, and have been consulting an 'Advisory Board', which includes Senior Staff at TORn, about some of their menu content and giveaway ideas. And of course, we here at TheOneRing.net always love bringing you, dear reader, the chance to win cool stuff - and what could be cooler than this contest?

Check back tomorrow morning - after you've watched the new Desolation of Smaug trailer - to get all the details on how you could win those tickets to see the world premiere! Smaug is coming!!

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Sep 30 2013, 11:50pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 30 2013, 10:26pm

Post #2 of 9 (443 views)
Shortcut
This is great news!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

My nearest Denny's is about 35 miles away, and I would manipulate my trips to go their way as often as possible! I walked away with a full menu and promo set for TH: AUJ thanks to their generosity (and pity ;). I can't WAIT to see what they have lined up for us!

Gotta be Mirkwood/Beorn/Elvis-themed meals! Biscuits and honey? Fish (river/barrel-riders)? Mead? ;)

This is gonna be fun :D

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Altaira
Superuser

Oct 2 2013, 2:48pm

Post #3 of 9 (426 views)
Shortcut
Denny's search for Middle-earth's Greatest Fan - the details [In reply to] Can't Post

On Monday we let you know about an exciting contest Denny's are holding this year, where one lucky fan will win a trip to see the World Premiere of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. The competition officially launched yesterday, but we were too busy watching the trailer multiple times to post about it!

So, if you're getting your video entry ready to prove yourself the biggest Hobbit fan out there, here are all the details you need, taken from Denny's official press release:

"Denny's, America's iconic family diner, announced today its renewed partnership with Warner Bros. Pictures to bring another taste of Middle-earth to the national diner, inspired by the long-awaited fantasy adventure The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, a production of New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures (MGM). To celebrate the highly anticipated movie, Denny's is inviting Hobbit fans to showcase their dedication in "The Search for Middle-earth’s Greatest Fan" contest for the chance to win an exclusive trip to the movie's world premiere screening.

Beginning October 1, through October 31, Hobbit enthusiasts are invited to visit www.dennysfanquest.com and upload a one-minute video demonstrating why he or she should be named Middle-earth's greatest fan. One grand prize winner will be selected by Academy Award®-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson to receive a trip for two to attend the film's world premiere screening. Four runners-up will receive free Denny's Grand Slam's for one full year."

Those details again - a ONE MINTUE video uploaded to the competition website [click here] by October 31st, to have a chance of being declared the Number One Fan! Remember, staff from TORn will be helping with the judging, before the top five videos will be passed along to Peter Jackson himself.

[And now the part which breaks our hearts; having looked closely at the rules for this contest, it looks like it is open to US residents only. I know, I know - that sucks. We do realize there are fans all over the world! And we report on any and all contests we hear about. Alas, this one is America based. So sorry to those whom this rules out!]

TORn has also been involved with Denny's 'Advisory Board', as the restaurant chain has sought to make their Hobbit menu this year as interesting as possible for the fans. The new menu will be launched on November 5th, and Denny's will also be offering the chance to 'access a variety of exciting movie content in-store, including an augmented reality interactive placemat, a series of "Elvish Made Easy" social posts and an exclusive behind-the-scenes film content piece.' We happen to know that the Elvish work for Denny's posts was done by someone very highly respected in the realm of Tolkien languages; more on that as we get nearer to the launch of the menu! (I for one am hoping those red velvet hushpuppies will be back....)

Get cracking on those one minute videos - and good luck!

[Upload your contest videos here] [Visit Denny's main website]

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Oct 2 2013, 3:09pm)

geordie
Tol Eressea

Oct 2 2013, 5:20pm

Post #4 of 9 (424 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I'm the world's biggest Hobbit fan [In reply to] Can't Post

- and no, I don' wanna go..

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 2 2013, 5:50pm

Post #5 of 9 (413 views)
Shortcut
Now why does that not surprise me..... ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello geordie!

geordie
Tol Eressea

Oct 2 2013, 6:14pm

Post #6 of 9 (409 views)
Shortcut
Yoo-hoo, Dormouse [In reply to] Can't Post

- thanks. If I win (as I ought to, considering I'm the world's biggest fan) - I'll give the tickets to you.

Smile

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 2 2013, 6:19pm

Post #7 of 9 (395 views)
Shortcut
What a gentleman! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 2 2013, 7:39pm

Post #8 of 9 (392 views)
Shortcut
Doesn't AGE Count for Anything, anymore? [In reply to] Can't Post

Christmas 1966..read everything Aloud in my Head for about 7 Months!

My Cats are Aragorn & Arwen...
I've given away more copies fo the Books than anyone I know?
Of Course, Bomby never got them BACK

Met Goldberry in a Used BookStore in 1985.
What was she READING?

She saw LOTR with Bomby many times

but Cancer took her.

As many here know
There is only Goal
left for Bomby

Sprinkle her Ashes
under Bilbo's Party Tree.

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 2 2013, 10:02pm

Post #9 of 9 (465 views)
Shortcut
Sure it does [In reply to] Can't Post

And I hope you find your way to that tree... :)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.