Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
"which literary character are you?" quiz, from abe books
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Sep 29 2013, 7:11pm

Post #26 of 60 (175 views)
Shortcut
nothing [In reply to] Can't Post

it just is what i happen to be doing in the grey havens.

also, probably many here would deem you super, so your quiz result does make sense.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Sep 29 2013, 7:36pm

Post #27 of 60 (174 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf! [In reply to] Can't Post

Crumbs! Crazy What a result! Cool Tongue

Then Manw and Yavanna parted for that time, and Yavanna returned to Aul; and he was in his smithy, pouring molten metal into a mould. 'Eru is bountiful,' she said. 'Now let thy children beware! For there shall walk a power in the forests whose wrath they will arouse at their peril.'

'Nonetheless they will have need of wood,' said Aul, and he went on with his smith-work.

(This post was edited by FlyingSerkis on Sep 29 2013, 7:37pm)

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 29 2013, 8:19pm

Post #28 of 60 (159 views)
Shortcut
Yet another Hermione here! // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

malickfan
Gondor

Sep 29 2013, 9:08pm

Post #29 of 60 (159 views)
Shortcut
Yet another Sherlock... [In reply to] Can't Post

...no idea why. If anything I'm Watson, the ugly quiet guy who never gets enough credit.

I don't have much to say.

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Sep 29 2013, 9:19pm

Post #30 of 60 (163 views)
Shortcut
Me too, but I can't think why [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm way too short for one thing.Laugh

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 29 2013, 10:32pm

Post #31 of 60 (159 views)
Shortcut
I'd be Gandalf if I was male.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but I'm not, so they made me Galadriel. Angelic

Pretty unlikely, I'd say, but who's counting!

Elizabeth
Valinor

Sep 30 2013, 12:13am

Post #32 of 60 (152 views)
Shortcut
Lots of Hermiones here, apparently. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's obviously our superior intellect. Wink

Actually, that quiz annoyed me. Most of the questions made me look for a "none of the above" answer.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 30 2013, 12:45am

Post #33 of 60 (148 views)
Shortcut
Hermione as a girl, Holms as a man. [In reply to] Can't Post

By just changing my gender, I'm Holmes. I'm happy with either. Holmes is just about my favorite literary character, and I love Hermione!

Alassa Eruvande
Valinor

Sep 30 2013, 1:49am

Post #34 of 60 (152 views)
Shortcut
Male or female, apparently I am Tigger. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am so not Tigger. Crazy

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 30 2013, 2:07am

Post #35 of 60 (139 views)
Shortcut
Another one here! Goodness, we have enough Hermiones to make up a quidditch team. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 30 2013, 2:16am

Post #36 of 60 (142 views)
Shortcut
And quite a few Sherlocks. [In reply to] Can't Post

Could make for some strange sort of doppelganger Christmas Ball (Ok, Hermione 3 you are with Sherlock 2...)

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 30 2013, 2:20am

Post #37 of 60 (140 views)
Shortcut
Wanna swap? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd rather be Tigger than Juliet!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 30 2013, 2:23am

Post #38 of 60 (147 views)
Shortcut
Just imagine... [In reply to] Can't Post

the Battle Royal that would ensue if we all sat down to play Trivial Pursuit! Laugh

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Sep 30 2013, 2:27am

Post #39 of 60 (137 views)
Shortcut
i was... [In reply to] Can't Post

...just to add... i was galadriel.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 30 2013, 2:39am

Post #40 of 60 (127 views)
Shortcut
EPIC!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
the Battle Royal that would ensue if we all sat down to play Trivial Pursuit! Laugh

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

sador
Half-elven

Sep 30 2013, 2:46am

Post #41 of 60 (130 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I've noticed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's to hoping Kel won't.

sador
Half-elven

Sep 30 2013, 2:52am

Post #42 of 60 (131 views)
Shortcut
What a balcony scene that would have made! [In reply to] Can't Post

But trading won't work for me. I'm no Superman.
I was expecting perhaps Piggy from Lord of the Flies; but I hope to have a better end.

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Sep 30 2013, 2:59am

Post #43 of 60 (132 views)
Shortcut
A Juliet by any other name would be [In reply to] Can't Post

a Pooh character?Shocked

squire
Valinor

Sep 30 2013, 3:17am

Post #44 of 60 (148 views)
Shortcut
The White Witch (not) [In reply to] Can't Post

I was seeing too many Hermiones and Sherlock Holmes, and I wondered (as Elizabeth seems to have also) just how the quiz was structured.

I saw that each question had six responses. I began to do the quiz, and it seemed by the third question that I was always going to answer to my 'type' - in other words, even though there are nine questions with six answers each, suggesting 54 possible answers (male and female, for a total of 108 literary characters), in fact there were probably only six characters, with a male and female version for each.

Just for fun, then, I went back and restarted the quiz, answering as far against my own type as I could. I went for revenge, power, domination, hatred, and general 'evil'. And as other here did, just for giggles, I identified as female. Lo, the White Witch, from a young adult fantasy novel. Why not Miranda Priestly? Morgan Le Fay? Lady MacBeth? Nurse Ratchet? Scarlett O'Hara?

Anyway, I wonder how many of Abe Books' readers really spend their weekends "plotting revenge"?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

(This post was edited by squire on Sep 30 2013, 3:20am)

cats16
Valinor

Sep 30 2013, 4:41am

Post #45 of 60 (123 views)
Shortcut
Same here. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Actually, that quiz annoyed me. Most of the questions made me look for a "none of the above" answer.

I tend to have difficulty on quizzes like this. It's a struggle to pick one remotely accurate sometimes.

All in good fun, though.

(This post was edited by cats16 on Sep 30 2013, 4:41am)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Sep 30 2013, 6:37am

Post #46 of 60 (110 views)
Shortcut
Maybe the Romeo/Juliet thing.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe it has more to do with passion and idealism than smoochy smoochy romantic stuff. Wink

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Sep 30 2013, 6:45am

Post #47 of 60 (115 views)
Shortcut
I'm embarrassed to ask [In reply to] Can't Post

But Lucy who? Blush The only Lucy's I can think of are Lucy Honeychurch from A Room With a View and Lucy from The Peanuts Crazy, neither seem like the female equivalent of Sam.

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

sador
Half-elven

Sep 30 2013, 7:58am

Post #48 of 60 (108 views)
Shortcut
I assume it Lucy from the Narnia series. // [In reply to] Can't Post

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 30 2013, 10:42am

Post #49 of 60 (100 views)
Shortcut
Same here... [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of those questions I didn't really have an answer to.

Misto
Lorien

Sep 30 2013, 12:22pm

Post #50 of 60 (116 views)
Shortcut
Karen Blixen who? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know the book "Out of Africa", which means I know of its existence, but because I never read it, I haven't got the first clue about this character.Crazy

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.