Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A female's point of view
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

glor
Rohan

Sep 30 2013, 1:59am

Post #101 of 108 (125 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

but wasn't he adopted by Theoden, thus making him heir i.e. the adoption rather than the sister son bit sealed his inheritance

hope my memory is holding up on this one, although things can get complicated when it comes to primogenitor and no direct male descendants. 'adoption' was used historically where no direct male heir lived to secure the line and throne, a way of ensuring continuity and political stability.

(This post was edited by glor on Sep 30 2013, 2:01am)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 30 2013, 2:03am

Post #102 of 108 (120 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

Until Theodred died, he was the heir. Failing heirs of Theoden's body, the heir is the next closest-related male in the royal line, which is Eomer. It doesn't sound like there are a lot of backup royals in the line. This is why royalty have traditionally wanted several offspring to secure the succession, especially in times and places which have a relatively short life expectancy or a lot of infant mortality and death by accident or illness.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 30 2013, 2:16am

Post #103 of 108 (113 views)
Shortcut
I was familiar [In reply to] Can't Post

with the "Yes Virginia..." line, but never knew its origin, so it was fun finding out. Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 30 2013, 2:19am

Post #104 of 108 (114 views)
Shortcut
We are all in the gutter... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but some of us are looking at the stars. Cool

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Sep 30 2013, 4:06am

Post #105 of 108 (125 views)
Shortcut
Not sure what planet you're living on.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but I know quite a few rabid female fans.

Of course, I understand how one might be surrounded by folk who are not of the same viewpoint; I am continually asked "are you really from around here?" (yes, I was indeed born in this very conservative and yea, even backward, backwater of Pennsylvania).

A female friend dumped the original LOTR series on me, a female aritst's (Judy King-Reniets) illustration of the Fellowship (specifically the Blond Guy With The Bow) encouraged me to actually pick it up and read it back in 1978. I found the epic adventure quite to my liking, I found the films quite to my liking (particularly the several appealing males). I've found The Hobbit amazingly to my liking despite its total lack of Elves (so far), the Dwarf band has proven to be a very appealing lot (earflap hats rule) to not only me but many female fans (a quick tour of tumblr will reveal some stuff you might prefer not to be revealed).

And the more I see of Tauriel, the more I ask, "where were you when I was 22? Because you're that D&D/cosplay/living history character I was playing all those years!"

Go outside and play...

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 30 2013, 12:38pm

Post #106 of 108 (84 views)
Shortcut
if all males of the lineage died [In reply to] Can't Post

Eowyn would have to take the reigns of the country a la Elizabeth I. Which she didn't want to do, hence going into the battle expecting to die like everyone else. She also told Faramir she didn't want to be a Queen when he said he was only a Prince. I se eno problem here. I'm just pointing out that Tolkien got it right. making her the Queen just because she killed the big bad would be too fanfic and Tolkien doesn't do fanfic. Laugh

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Tauriel saved us from Itaril. Never forget.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 30 2013, 2:27pm

Post #107 of 108 (79 views)
Shortcut
There has been a little more background since then [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...about Tauriel mostly comes from Lilly herself (from an interview in Total Film):
“She’s a very, very young elf. She’s only 600 years old, unlike Legolas who’s like, 1,900 years old and Thranduil who’s about 3,000 years old. She doesn’t have quite the wisdom and poise that those two boys do; she’s a little more… gritty. A little more spontaneous, passionate perhaps. To play this character I need to have a certain amount of grace. But I’m also supposed to be an absolutely ruthless, deadly killer.”

More recent articles have suggested that Tauriel may be even younger, giving her an age of 300 years. It will be interesting to see how her official backstory plays out.

Since Tolkien's Elves seem to mature to adulthood only a little more slowly than mortal Men, I presume that Itaril would have been less than 50 years old (assuming that Saoirse Ronan or an actress of similar age had agreed to portray the character).

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 30 2013, 2:29pm)

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Sep 30 2013, 3:27pm

Post #108 of 108 (95 views)
Shortcut
Amen, sister! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your post sums up a lot of my feelings on this subject perfectly. I have had no problem relating at all to the Dwarves. Maybe it comes from having two rambunctious brothers and two equally rambunctious cousins, but very little of the Dwarves' behaviro in AUJ surprised me. I love 'em. I'd hang out with them any day. Tongue

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.