Yes but not intelligent
View Results (46 votes)

thorinoakenshield
Rivendell

Sep 29 2013, 10:00pm

Post #1 of 13 (469 views)
Shortcut
Aliens Can't Post

Do you believe in extraterrestrial life?

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 30 2013, 6:52am

Post #2 of 13 (361 views)
Shortcut
A question I often pose to people: [In reply to] Can't Post

What do you find scariest: knowing that there is intelligent life out in there in the universe, or knowing that we are alone in the universe?

I think both are quite daunting, when you really think about it.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Sep 30 2013, 9:41am

Post #3 of 13 (343 views)
Shortcut
Well, yes, sort of. [In reply to] Can't Post

If by extraterrestrial life that life exists in the universe besides what is on Earth, then yes.

I don't think that intelligent extraterrestrials have visited Earth.

As to whether or not other beings of sufficient intelligence to be considered "intelligent life" there is not enough data!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 30 2013, 3:02pm

Post #4 of 13 (334 views)
Shortcut
Extraterrestrial life is almost a certainty [In reply to] Can't Post

That doesn't mean, though, that we've been visited.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Sep 30 2013, 3:41pm

Post #5 of 13 (314 views)
Shortcut
There's not an 'I don't have an opinion' button. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know. I don't believe that there is alien life or that there isn't. There could be. We don't know. Does that make me an alien agnostic?

In this situation, I think Calvin & Hobbes applies: "Sometimes I think the surest sign of intelligent alien life is that none of it has tried to contact us."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 30 2013, 7:35pm

Post #6 of 13 (290 views)
Shortcut
Exactly what I was going to say. // [In reply to] Can't Post

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Sep 30 2013, 7:38pm

Post #7 of 13 (303 views)
Shortcut
Other? [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe extraterrestrial life, intelligent or otherwise, may exist. But we've not made contact with any yet.

RosieLass
Valinor

Oct 1 2013, 3:54pm

Post #8 of 13 (272 views)
Shortcut
Ditto. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm in the "there's no reason there can't be extraterrestrial life, but we'll never meet it" camp.

joec_34
Rivendell

Oct 1 2013, 4:36pm

Post #9 of 13 (265 views)
Shortcut
My two cents: probably not. [In reply to] Can't Post

It just doesn't seem probably to me for such a complex series of events requiring life to occur twice in the same universe. Unless you believe in an impersonal teleology, in which case it is totally plausible. I believe in a personal teleology who hasn't let me know about aliens, but has told me a lot of other stuff in this pretty amazing book, so I assume that means the former assertion is true.

RangerLady23
Lorien

Oct 1 2013, 4:38pm

Post #10 of 13 (267 views)
Shortcut
Yes I do [In reply to] Can't Post

IU think that it is very vain and selfish for us to think that we are the only intelligent life in a galaxy as big as ours is plus the3 next and the next and the next.... you get the picture. I have never seen or experienced a sighting but I believe.

dubulous
Rohan

Oct 2 2013, 8:26pm

Post #11 of 13 (254 views)
Shortcut
So many ways to look at it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I do believe there is life out there, somewhere. Could be in many different forms on many different planets even within this galaxy. Is it intelligent? Maybe. Have we encountered them? I don't think so. Will we? Might depend on how long we last as a species.

RosieBaggins
Rivendell

Oct 9 2013, 2:48am

Post #12 of 13 (264 views)
Shortcut
Oops. [In reply to] Can't Post

Meant to hit the last one (yes, but not intelligent) and wound up hitting the one above it.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Nov 30 2013, 6:21am

Post #13 of 13 (168 views)
Shortcut
There must be. [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems almost impossible that there isn't life out there somewhere. But i do not think that they've visited us here on the Earth, and we probably will never, ever run into them during the entire life-span of humanity, and we probably won't even find evidence of them, especially during our lifetimes.

But one never knows...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.