Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
TORn Amateur Symposium - November 2013. Call For Submissions Thread.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 25 2013, 8:29pm

Post #26 of 61 (449 views)
Shortcut
Wow you guys! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm off the boards for 2 days and everything explodes! Thanks a lot NoWiz, Demosthenes,Swordwhale, Ranger, Ninrandir, Greater Smials and Ida! And, of course, Daniel! Some wonderful and interesting ideas- really looking forward to reading them. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to take a bit of a back seat for this TAS, due to pending hospital treatment. But I'm hoping to submit something if I can- probably relating to Tolkien's use of dreams in the legendarium.

Welcome to TAS and the RR, Ninrandir, Greater Smials and IdaSmile

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 25 2013, 8:50pm

Post #27 of 61 (439 views)
Shortcut
Sorry to hear you can't contribute this time Lothwen [In reply to] Can't Post

but perfectly understandable- exams have to come first, unfortunatelyFrownMad

Good luck with the exams!Smile

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Lothwen
Rivendell

Sep 26 2013, 9:18am

Post #28 of 61 (429 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

...I'll have to wait 'til next time.

In Reply To
Good luck with the exams!
Smile

Thanks!

Followed by that awkwarder moment when you realize that you think this is awesome...

Bow&Helm
The Shire

Sep 26 2013, 8:42pm

Post #29 of 61 (418 views)
Shortcut
Húrin's Endurance: Applicability for the Addict [In reply to] Can't Post

Friends, I'd like your opinion. First I must admit I am both inspired and intimidated by your most excellent symposium topics. I was thinking of writing from a more personal experience and how Húrin's story became a source of inspiration in my life. Not academic by any means. Do you all think it a worthy endeavor?

malickfan
Gondor

Sep 26 2013, 8:52pm

Post #30 of 61 (413 views)
Shortcut
Could (or should) I re submit my essay On Cirdan? [In reply to] Can't Post

Now even longer!

...of course that runs the risk of boring virtually everyone on the site...

What do you think? Could his history appearance and role as a tertiary character be used as a in depth model for a discussion on archetype Elves and Aging in Middle Earth?

I didn't have much progress on the purse essay I got as far as 'He's awesome because he is'...there isn't exactly much to base an essay on.

Though I did have a controversial thought that the purse was more in Tolkien's spirirt than Tauriel...he he (though that would probably turn into more of a rant than an essay).

I don't have much to say.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 26 2013, 9:06pm

Post #31 of 61 (411 views)
Shortcut
Tie up the mysteries [In reply to] Can't Post

Who was the Talking Purse? Was it really Tom Bombadil? Was it Eru, who's offended by theft, or Mandos, who knew it was Bilbo's fate to be an inept burglar? Did the squeaky voice come from the cats of Queen Beruthiel trapped inside? Or was it a Balrog trapped in a purse so it couldn't fly away?

Who taught the purse to speak? Didn't Elves teach the Ents to speak, so they did the same for clothing accessories? I mean, they made magic rings, so couldn't they make magic purses too?

There's lots of fodder in the purse for solving the riddles of MEarth. Go, man, go!

malickfan
Gondor

Sep 26 2013, 9:14pm

Post #32 of 61 (403 views)
Shortcut
I might give it a shot... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'm not going to lie, I'm no Tolkien Scholar or seasoned essay writer...so at best it would be a humorous (and longwinded knowing me) checklist of the possible candiates...then again there are no rules saying the essay has to make sense or be entertaining...are there?

I do however maintain It's rather odd the purse is the only catalyst in Bilbo's journey that remained entirely unchanged from conception to it's final appearance in the adult 1960 Hobbit...

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 26 2013, 9:17pm

Post #33 of 61 (408 views)
Shortcut
By all means, B&H [In reply to] Can't Post

It doesn't have to be pure academia and can relate to Tolkien's themes within our own lives. Sounds interesting!Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 26 2013, 9:31pm

Post #34 of 61 (402 views)
Shortcut
How long is it? ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

If you think you could edit it down, maybe you could submit two (three/four?) 2000-3000 word essays, over two, three or four symposiums. It might be nice to have something that is "to be continued", like DwellerInDale's physics essays. Just an idea. I think it's worth submitting in some form.

What about an A0 poster? That'll be a challenge for you. Tongue

And by all means, write with humour! I'd love to read a purse essay. Perhaps explore why a male Troll had a purse, rather than a wallet. Angelic

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Sep 26 2013, 9:33pm)

malickfan
Gondor

Sep 26 2013, 9:34pm

Post #35 of 61 (400 views)
Shortcut
Well at the last count it was nearing 23,000 words... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not including page references, or 'why the heck are you still reading this, go have a nap' warnings every five pages...

But yeah I could re edit it into different essays.

And I think I will have a go at the purse essay...before you do Wink

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 26 2013, 9:42pm

Post #36 of 61 (403 views)
Shortcut
Installment idea: interesting! [In reply to] Can't Post

(But so are dueling Talking Purse essays.) Wink

Considering size, that installment idea may be the best format Malickfan. Plus it would allow us to discuss your piece in more detail.

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

sador
Half-elven

Sep 27 2013, 6:40am

Post #37 of 61 (392 views)
Shortcut
That's one huge topic! [In reply to] Can't Post

If I may presume to offer advice, don't bring examples from all over the legendarium, but focus on a few chapters. That way it would be easier to come up with anything meaningful.
Your intent to look at the impact on the audience is also very promising; I'm looking forward to reading your essay.

demnation
Rohan

Sep 28 2013, 3:04am

Post #38 of 61 (362 views)
Shortcut
If I may jump in to say... [In reply to] Can't Post

A) How I dearly wish I had the time to compose an essay and B) How excited I am to read all of yours. Great to see so many lined up already!

"In the beginning the Universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

(This post was edited by demnation on Sep 28 2013, 3:06am)

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 28 2013, 3:06am

Post #39 of 61 (361 views)
Shortcut
Will be happy to have you reading along with us Demnation! // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
A) How I dearly wish I had the time to compose an essay and B) How excited I am to read all of yours. Great to see so many lined up already

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Sep 28 2013, 4:07pm

Post #40 of 61 (350 views)
Shortcut
I have something bumping around in my brain... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that I'd like to contribute. It has to do with Bilbo writing the "All that is gold" poem from his POV. It's less scholarly and more about character development across the two books. I've always been fascinated by Bilbo, the only being in Middle Earth to willingly give up the Ring. His unexpected life-journey-adventrue makes me want to read more of his autobiography.

Can you tell I've completely bought into Mr. Tolkien's world? I think I would be a hobbit who went on adventures....

“Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 28 2013, 4:09pm

Post #41 of 61 (344 views)
Shortcut
Follow that bump! [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds wonderful Ioreth. Intriguing topic! Can't wait to read it. Cool

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Sep 29 2013, 4:22am

Post #42 of 61 (342 views)
Shortcut
oooooooooooooooo [In reply to] Can't Post

I like that idea! I'm an artist, and somewhat musically impaired, so it would be cool to see a musician's interpretation of what I think is a marvelous set of soundtracks.

Go outside and play...

Na Vedui
Rohan

Sep 29 2013, 4:47pm

Post #43 of 61 (329 views)
Shortcut
Good luck! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope all goes well with the hospital treatment.

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 29 2013, 6:41pm

Post #44 of 61 (328 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope to be back on the boards soonSmile

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 30 2013, 12:09am

Post #45 of 61 (312 views)
Shortcut
WE hope so too Fearless TAS leader! // [In reply to] Can't Post

noWizardme
Half-elven

Oct 3 2013, 3:49pm

Post #46 of 61 (291 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps "The men of Gondor will never submit"- but I just did (my essay I mean ) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 3 2013, 4:29pm

Post #47 of 61 (295 views)
Shortcut
Yes, happily the Men of Gondor have submitted... [In reply to] Can't Post

hmmm. That statement can give one mixed feelings about being happy! Laugh

Maciliel
Valinor

Oct 4 2013, 3:38pm

Post #48 of 61 (276 views)
Shortcut
i will.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...submit this...

an essay on female heroes of middle earth.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 4 2013, 4:33pm

Post #49 of 61 (276 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful topic! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I know you will do it fine justice! Great to hear from you Telpemairo! Angelic

elaen32
Gondor

Oct 6 2013, 10:48am

Post #50 of 61 (267 views)
Shortcut
Great to read so many interesting titles and ideas! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still hoping to write on the use of dreams as a device to progress the narrative. I'm hopefully leaving hospital tomorrow, so can get down to recovering with the aid of TORn and TAS Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.