Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Azog's Death

Peterthorn of Rohan
Rivendell

Sep 29 2013, 12:05pm

Post #1 of 22 (874 views)
Shortcut
Azog's Death Can't Post

I know it's been discussed before but who do you think is gonna kill azog. I think it will be either Thorin or Bilbo, but more possibly it will be Thorin.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Sep 29 2013, 12:15pm

Post #2 of 22 (514 views)
Shortcut
Dain Ironfoot [In reply to] Can't Post

Azog and Thorin will have their final fight (I'm pretty sure it will take place here: Erebor Throne Room) with Azog SPOILER killing Kili and Fili. Perhaps Thorin get's heavy wounded but is still able to fight Azog but not to defeat him. Perhaps he cuts off his other arm and than Dain comes to kill Azog finally (as he does in the book). Perhaps they both fight Azog from the beginning. But in the end Azog's death will be Dains work.

On the other side of the battle we still have Bolg being killed by Beorn (as in the book).

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

(This post was edited by Lieutenant of Dol Guldur on Sep 29 2013, 12:15pm)

Peterthorn of Rohan
Rivendell

Sep 29 2013, 12:41pm

Post #3 of 22 (478 views)
Shortcut
That won't be book canon [In reply to] Can't Post

And will change the course of bofa.The orcs didn't enter the mountain.I hope bilbo kills Azog in Dos.It will prove even more that bilbo is the true hero of the story(and I know that already by the book its proved that bilbo is the hero, killing spiders,confronting smaug, but it will develop the bilbo-thorin relationship even more)

emre43
Lorien

Sep 29 2013, 1:05pm

Post #4 of 22 (434 views)
Shortcut
That won't be book canon [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And will change the course of bofa.The orcs didn't enter the mountain.I hope bilbo kills Azog in Dos.It will prove even more that bilbo is the true hero of the story(and I know that already by the book its proved that bilbo is the hero, killing spiders,confronting smaug, but it will develop the bilbo-thorin relationship even more)

Bilbo didn't kill AzogCrazy

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 29 2013, 1:05pm

Post #5 of 22 (419 views)
Shortcut
I would be pretty sure it won't be Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

It would change his character too much, I think, to have him killing Azog. Bilbo is the hero of the story in the sense that it's his story. And in the sense that he discovers in himself reserves of courage, cunning and common sense that he never knew he had, and that enable him to help his friends. He's a hero without heroics.

But as I haven't a clue where they're going with this, or what they plan to do, my plan is just to wait and see!

Peterthorn of Rohan
Rivendell

Sep 29 2013, 1:16pm

Post #6 of 22 (412 views)
Shortcut
Yes,but [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing about azog is canon since he didn't die in azanubilzar,whereas the bofa has a ''structure'' in the book that shouldn't be changed.Azog has a minor role in Middle-earth and The Hobbit, whereas bofa has a big and crucial part in the Hobbit

Shagrat
Gondor

Sep 29 2013, 1:30pm

Post #7 of 22 (394 views)
Shortcut
To be fair [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo killing Azog would be pretty ridiculous, and not especially satisfying. I think it will be Thorin, Dain or Beorn.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Sep 29 2013, 1:54pm

Post #8 of 22 (434 views)
Shortcut
Have you seen Return of the King? [In reply to] Can't Post

In the book no single Orc enters Minas Tirith at all. Only the Witch King was able to broke the gate to confront Gandalf but than the Rohirrim arrived and the Battle of the Pellennor began. But in the movie the forces of Mordor broke the gate with Grond and entered it from there and with towers. So I think entering Erebor is still possible ;-)

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Peterthorn of Rohan
Rivendell

Sep 29 2013, 2:09pm

Post #9 of 22 (391 views)
Shortcut
of course [In reply to] Can't Post

i've seen rotk.more than 5 times.I also think what you say it's possible!;-)I just say it's not canon

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 29 2013, 2:55pm

Post #10 of 22 (353 views)
Shortcut
Hehe [In reply to] Can't Post

The irony, of course, is referring to canon when Azog shouldn't even be there. Don't get me wrong, I love Azog as a villian and think he makes a good and necessary adversary to Thorin and the company, but he's hardly canon.

Welcome to the forums, by the way! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Sep 29 2013, 4:34pm

Post #11 of 22 (327 views)
Shortcut
Cannot happen soon enough. In fact, can some one do it now, before Desolation-Smaug begins? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I know it's been discussed before but who do you think is gonna kill azog. I think it will be either Thorin or Bilbo, but more possibly it will be Thorin.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Sep 29 2013, 4:36pm

Post #12 of 22 (331 views)
Shortcut
I don't think Azog is necessary at all. He does nothing Bolg could not have done just as well, [In reply to] Can't Post

and without the detrimental alterations to the history of The Dwarves and The Third Age.

In Reply To
The irony, of course, is referring to canon when Azog shouldn't even be there. Don't get me wrong, I love Azog as a villian and think he makes a good and necessary adversary to Thorin and the company, but he's hardly canon.

Welcome to the forums, by the way! Smile

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Elskidor
Rohan

Sep 29 2013, 8:15pm

Post #13 of 22 (287 views)
Shortcut
Azog won't die [In reply to] Can't Post

He will kill Thorin, Smaug, Gandalf and everyone. The End

StarGodziller
Bree

Sep 29 2013, 8:34pm

Post #14 of 22 (266 views)
Shortcut
I have a feeling... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that Thorin will kill Azog but then Bolg will kill Thorin who will in turn be killed by Beorn.

Lio
Lorien

Sep 29 2013, 8:37pm

Post #15 of 22 (259 views)
Shortcut
How I hope it plays out [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I consider myself very much in the "Dain kills Azog" camp. Wink In fact, if/when Azog and Thorin fight I think Azog should have the upper hand all the way. Thorin killing or significantly wounding Azog at that point would be just too… obvious, I guess. I don't know, I think their final confrontation should be more interesting and surprising than that. Plus we also have Fili, Kili, and Azog's White Warg likely participating in all this, and I wonder what their roles here will be.

Although now that you mention Bilbo, I wonder if he will also be involved somehow. But I hope not. His heroics as at the end of AUJ were a bit much I think, he really shouldn't be a fighter.

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

"Don't laugh at the Dwarves because they will mess you up." — Dean O'Gorman (Fili)

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

malickfan
Gondor

Sep 29 2013, 8:42pm

Post #16 of 22 (267 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty certain that CGI stunt double we saw Thorin kneeling over in the last P.Blog... [In reply to] Can't Post

...will be ONE of the various orc leaders the question is who? Given the controversy and secrecy surrounding Azog's storyline I doubt we will be given any clues until TABA is released.

Although I think your idea is the most likely, I'm seriously not liking the idea of Dain turning up at the last minute with no prior backstory in the films, then doing nothing of importance (other that swearing in a deep Glaswegian accent knowing Connoly) before claming the thrown of erebor out of the blue.

Still, It's better than Bilbo killing Azog...that really would ruin the film for me.

I don't have much to say.

malickfan
Gondor

Sep 29 2013, 8:45pm

Post #17 of 22 (255 views)
Shortcut
I would... [In reply to] Can't Post

...respond with a witty reply about The Talking Purse killing Azog in a post credit scene, if I didn't have a sickening feeling that Azog is being readied for a spin of TV series. And no I'm not joking, I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but I highly doubt Saul Zanetz and co won't try and squeeze even more fan fiction (and money) out of the material they can.

I don't have much to say.

Thranderz
Rohan

Sep 29 2013, 9:08pm

Post #18 of 22 (233 views)
Shortcut
Yup! [In reply to] Can't Post

Although this isn't perfect I reckon it will happen and be pretty cool nontheless Smile *spoilers* Bolg will kill Thorin, Fili and Kili I think!

I simply walked into Mordor.

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 29 2013, 10:36pm

Post #19 of 22 (206 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully Dain [In reply to] Can't Post

Takes him out since he's most likely to live to movie three.

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Sep 29 2013, 10:52pm

Post #20 of 22 (226 views)
Shortcut
as heartbreaking [In reply to] Can't Post

as this scene is going to be regardless, I decided to put a monkey wrench in and introduce an idea I haven't seen anyone else come up with...

What if....

Fili and Kili kill Azog after Azog mortally wounds Thorin? Kind of like the flawed could not kill the evil, but the good, innocent, and pure (since they were not touched by the gold sickness like the rest of the company) can.

Then Bolg can kill them in their moment of triumph and distraction (concerned about Thorin and not aware that Azog had someone to avenge him)- offspring against offspring (or unofficially offspring, since F and K are Thorin's nephews, not sons, but like his sons)...

and then Dain will kill Bolg (or Beorn will) as the two lie over Thorin, slowly dying but still just barely alive, then they die a few minutes later while Thorin watches, seeing the true price of his greed as the last of the gold sickness vanishes and coming to the realization that it was his OWN doing, not his enemy Azog's, that wiped out the elder line of Durin. Then, Thorin can hold on until the tent, where he reconciles with Bilbo before he finally passes.

And maybe Dain could say something like I didn't want to get the throne like this as he sees the two young heirs (who were really too young to have come and died) drawing their last breath....to redeem him in the eyes of the audience.

Any which way it happens, it will be heartbreaking to watch-bring on the tissues!

Race is meaningless. We all bleed red-no matter who or what we are. What matters is the heart. For each race has those with good hearts and those with bad hearts. You have a good heart. You do not deserve to die.

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Sep 29 2013, 10:54pm)

glor
Rohan

Sep 30 2013, 1:25am

Post #21 of 22 (178 views)
Shortcut
I'm in the Dain camp too. [In reply to] Can't Post

It makes movie sense to have Dain kill Azog all be it at a different point in the narrative timeline. It's the only way in a movie that has to 'make sense' to those who haven't read the books, to stop Dain showing up after Thorin's demise and just becoming King for no logically or discernible reason.

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 30 2013, 2:55am

Post #22 of 22 (184 views)
Shortcut
That's my thought as well [In reply to] Can't Post

It causes the pieces of the puzzle to fit together better.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.