Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Character analyze: Gandalf the Gray

Old Pilgrim
Rivendell

Sep 28 2013, 8:10am

Views: 421
Shortcut
Character analyze: Gandalf the Gray Can't Post

Since he is my favorite character in both books and movies I decided to open a new thread, where we will analyze and compare his outfit and his personality or behaviour between AUJ and the Lord of the Rings trilogy two things;

Outfit

Once we first see him in "Old friends" chapter he looks very similar then he looked in the Fellowship of the Ring and I liked that very much because Ngila Dickson create a perfect outfit for Gandalf in my opinion and changing that would be a bad idea. His robes may look a little bit dirtier and more scruffy in LOTR but that may be because of different camera and also because in those 60 years he may experienced hard times in Dol Guldur and other places. Interesting things on those two pictures are that I don't see him wearing a scarf in neither of them and his coat seems a little more dense in AUJ.

Gandalf the Gray in the Felowship of the Ring

Gandalf the Gray in The Hobbit

The next thing I noticed about his wardrobe is that he is not wearing the same thing during the movie. We see him in this gray coat only in this first scene while later he doesn't have a coat at all or he is wearing a different coat which is not of the same material. Two examples:

Gandalf without his coat

Gandalf wearing a different coat

In latter two pictures his scarf suddenly becomes very important, so my question is why did they changed his appearance? He is not wearing a coat at all while they are leaving the Shire but when they are chased by wargs he is wearing a completely different piece of robes that we haven't seen it before. Which one do you prefer?

Do you find his outfit better in the LOTR or in AUJ?

Personality and behaviour

There is not much to tell here as Ian Mckellen was always a perfect actor for Gandalf but still I noticed some changes between his role in the Hobbit and the LOTR. He looks more serious and determined in the LOTR while in AUJ he is more peaceful, absend minded and humble like an old grandfather. His speech sound sometimes a little odd like when he is talking about five wizards or when he is talking with Elrond about their journey on the Great East Road. I also don't know why did he hit the nose of one troll with his staff or why he is choking when he is asked how many dragons did he killed. There are maybe some more odd scenes with him but in common I like his portrayal in AUJ very much and I am happy that Ian Mckellen portrayed Gandalf once more.I am also looking forward for the other two movies to see him again.

What are the reasons for changing his behaviour?

Where do you prefer him more?

Subject User Time
Character analyze: Gandalf the Gray Old Pilgrim Send a private message to Old Pilgrim Sep 28 2013, 8:10am
    Forget to mention his staff Old Pilgrim Send a private message to Old Pilgrim Sep 28 2013, 8:31am
    Exactly the same morro91 Send a private message to morro91 Sep 28 2013, 9:21am
    Gandalf the White Thranderz Send a private message to Thranderz Sep 28 2013, 2:48pm
    Oh lovely selection of pics, cheers! I do hate to do this, but it's Gandalf the 'Grey' not 'Gray', to go by Tolkien :) Xanaseb Send a private message to Xanaseb Sep 28 2013, 5:46pm
        Heh Old Pilgrim Send a private message to Old Pilgrim Sep 29 2013, 9:33am
    Don't Forget the Sometimes Properly Blue, sometimes erroneously Gray hat! AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Sep 29 2013, 6:28am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.