Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A female's point of view
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Thranderz
Rohan

Sep 27 2013, 10:33pm

Post #1 of 108 (1534 views)
Shortcut
A female's point of view Can't Post

First of all, I'm not female. However, I've noticed that females don't seem to take to these films (I am talking about The Hobbit specifically but not exclusively) like us males! My mum finds it boring, despite me thinking she'd find it enchanting, and my girlfriend tries to enjoy it but says that the characters aren't relatable or likeable. Is this the view of all women, and if so why? Has any of Phillipa Boyens' 'female energy' actually rubbed off on anyone? Thought I'd just share this with everyone to see what you all think. Smile

I simply walked into Mordor.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 27 2013, 10:44pm

Post #2 of 108 (791 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely not, this is a femine forum! ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

It's likely just your mix of family and friends that leads you to that conclusion. But Tolkien (and the films) have equal shares of male and female fans.

As for this forum, it's inundated with Thorin fangirls. AngelicWink

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Sep 27 2013, 10:46pm)

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Sep 27 2013, 10:52pm

Post #3 of 108 (654 views)
Shortcut
I've never seen it that way. [In reply to] Can't Post

I know more guys that have flat out said they find the movie "boring".

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 27 2013, 10:52pm

Post #4 of 108 (694 views)
Shortcut
The view of all women? No. [In reply to] Can't Post

I know men and women who can't get into the books or the films, and men and women who *love* them!

Stick around on TORN and you'll see plenty of women who are fans of the films - and, despite what DanielB says, not just because of Hot Dwarves.

(BTW Daniel's reference to 'femine' is explained in our TORN Dictionary, in case you're confused. See also the reference for 'knitting'.)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Sep 27 2013, 10:56pm)

DeadRabbits
Lorien

Sep 27 2013, 10:53pm

Post #5 of 108 (642 views)
Shortcut
My girlfriend and my sisters loved AUJ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... as did those of my female friends who saw the movie, so I guess it's a matter of personal taste and not which gender one belongs to. All things Tolkien seem to have a strong female fanbase.

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

Elizabeth
Valinor

Sep 27 2013, 10:57pm

Post #6 of 108 (629 views)
Shortcut
Folks said that about LotR, too... [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually had some correspondence with a reviewer on the San Jose (CA) Mercury News who claimed that only males liked it. At the time, RotK was ending its run, and when I went (I saw it in theaters 11 times, which is quite modest by TORn standards - grammaboodawg saw it 60-some times) I would look around the theater and see 75% women. I think a majority of the folks posting on TORn are female.

Personally, I don't care for The Hobbit as much as LotR, but I am definitely a fan.

Thranderz
Rohan

Sep 27 2013, 10:57pm

Post #7 of 108 (643 views)
Shortcut
Oh yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not saying all females dislike these films but despite Phillipa Boyens' efforts to create a female energy I'm not seeing a surge in female fans. I know there are quite a lot on these boards but just not where I live Frown

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 27 2013, 11:00pm

Post #8 of 108 (617 views)
Shortcut
Interesting question... [In reply to] Can't Post

Among my friends there are more female LotR (both book and movie) lovers than male ones. However, those females who dislike it (again, both book and movie) often seem to think that it is "more for guys" or "something guys like".

As for the "female" energy... many of the women I know liking the movies certainly appreciated the way Galadriel and Arwen were handled in LotR. But I think most guys did as well. As for AUJ, I do have the feeling we (among our friends) are not divided on the "female spirit" of characters like Tauriel - actually most of us agree that that energy is welcomed to the story (one even saying that corrects something she loathed about the book). The divide rather comes from the question of whether this goes too far in a book adaptation/interpretation or not.

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 27 2013, 11:01pm

Post #9 of 108 (675 views)
Shortcut
You may have a point Daniel. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

As for this forum, it's inundated with Thorin fangirls. AngelicWink

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

MediaMalable
Bree

Sep 27 2013, 11:05pm

Post #10 of 108 (631 views)
Shortcut
I do not agree at all [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually think Tolkien seems to have one of the most impressively gender agnostic fandoms that there is, with men and women enjoying the films and books equally. I know that my sisters love the films and books nearly as much as I do, and my mother has been a huge Tolkien fan since she read them growing up.

I think the depth and beauty of Tolkien's world speaks to people of both sexes, and draws them in.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 27 2013, 11:06pm

Post #11 of 108 (673 views)
Shortcut
I'd expect more Tauriel fanboys ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Had she been canon. Wink

And that avatar suits you, Brethil.

(I was only joking by the fangirl comment - there are no fangirls or fanboys, just very obsessive Tolkien fanatics. All of which are great!)

Going back to Thranderz's point - I rarely come across any other Tolkien fans in real life - at least anyone more passionate than having only read the books (once, maybe twice) and seen (and enjoyed) the films. Where are you all hiding?

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Sep 27 2013, 11:08pm)

Elizabeth
Valinor

Sep 27 2013, 11:07pm

Post #12 of 108 (679 views)
Shortcut
Phillipa Boyens' efforts are wasted on me. [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved The Hobbit book with no females at all, and fear Phillipa's insertions will weaken the films, not improve them. I really disagree with the notion that women only like stories with female characters, whether we're talking about movies or books. Women like good, well-written stories, period.

Thranderz
Rohan

Sep 27 2013, 11:08pm

Post #13 of 108 (632 views)
Shortcut
Same here! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know no Tolkien fans (except all of you lovely people on these message boards), I feel like the only one in town Frown

Thranderz
Rohan

Sep 27 2013, 11:11pm

Post #14 of 108 (618 views)
Shortcut
I agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

Galadriel is fine as long as they keep her on a leash with all that power of hers Wink and Tauriel........well I'm willing to give her a chance I suppose.

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 27 2013, 11:19pm

Post #15 of 108 (628 views)
Shortcut
Where *are* the fans? Good question [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Had she been canon. Wink (haha!Laugh)

And that avatar suits you, Brethil. Sadly, now I shall have to look at my own posts over and over. CrazyLaugh
(I was only joking by the fangirl comment - there are no fangirls or fanboys, just very obsessive Tolkien fanatics. All of which are great!) Yes, its good to be part of a Fellowship...which leads into the next question..

Going back to Thranderz's point - I rarely come across any other Tolkien fans in real life - at least anyone more passionate than having only read the books (once, maybe twice) and seen (and enjoyed) the films. Where are you all hiding? ...which I totally find to be the case as well. I know almost NO book-firster people (excepting my BFF) and even the Movie-fans are not exactly ... committed (committable?) like we are. It seems we are a strong fan following - but I have to say my RL meetings are rare. I wonder too, where is everyone?

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Elskidor
Rohan

Sep 27 2013, 11:28pm

Post #16 of 108 (569 views)
Shortcut
I've met many of both of gender that love [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'm surprised by the equal amount of men and women, for the main cast is all mainly men. There are but a couple female in LoTR even less in the Hobbit. It's pretty one sided, really. I figure a lot of women watch for the Legolas, Aragorn and..hmm is Thorin a heart throb now?

cats16
Tol Eressea

Sep 27 2013, 11:35pm

Post #17 of 108 (580 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I really disagree with the notion that women only like stories with female characters, whether we're talking about movies or books. Women like good, well-written stories, period.

Oleander Took
Rivendell

Sep 27 2013, 11:48pm

Post #18 of 108 (567 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely agree with this [In reply to] Can't Post

give me a good story, and despite being a female, I won't need a single female character to enjoy it or identify myself with the story and/or characters. And like you I feel that that addition will be more something that could pull me off the story than something to make me get into it better Unsure

"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."

Blkcpt
Rivendell

Sep 27 2013, 11:54pm

Post #19 of 108 (552 views)
Shortcut
Welll [In reply to] Can't Post

With me and my girl. We both like and dislike parts of all the films for different reasons. I want them to be more dark and violent....she wants a more feel good, love story type of thing. I love the "bad" characters. I think their costumes and presence is a little bit more gripping. On the otherhand my girl loves the good guys and thinks the bad guys are bland. Men and women.... two different species

(This post was edited by Blkcpt on Sep 27 2013, 11:56pm)

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Sep 28 2013, 12:10am

Post #20 of 108 (524 views)
Shortcut
Definitely not [In reply to] Can't Post

There are a lot of female LOTR and Hobbit fans, just as there are males. Tolkien's works, to me, are one of those things that appeal to both genders. Perhaps your mum and girlfriend are just indifferent to The Hobbit, but not all women are. Who knows? Maybe even the female energy by Boyens could have even rubbed them the wrong way. There are some female fans who, while they love Tolkien, were rubbed the wrong way by Boyens female energy. Some say she tried/tries too hard.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Sep 28 2013, 12:20am

Post #21 of 108 (519 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always valued story and character, over the quantity of characters, quantities of male and female characters. If the story is good, and the characters whether male or female is likeable, that's all that matters to me.
Besides, if The Hobbit has no female characters, so what? There are other works that have some cool female characters, like Harry Potter. Hermione, who was female, was smarter and more practical than all the boys. She's even the top of the class. Usually the female characters nowadays are ditsy and dumb. She wasn't. And then there is Katniss in The Hunger Games.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Sep 28 2013, 1:23am

Post #22 of 108 (516 views)
Shortcut
I know several females, mine own lady included, who adore it, and not just because they desire Thorin, Aragorn or Thranduil, though [In reply to] Can't Post

that certainly has been a factor for some. lol

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Sep 28 2013, 1:29am

Post #23 of 108 (495 views)
Shortcut
Nope! [In reply to] Can't Post

Female and lovin' it.

Though I am not a representative member of my sex as regards a Tolkien adaptation, as I am and have been for ages, a devoted Tolkien fan. First read the Hobbit at age 6, and have probably read LotR approximately once time for each year of my life (currently in my 40s).

But my mother loves the movie and can't wait to buy the EE when it comes out. (She has read the books, I believe once, and liked 'em. Loves the LotR movies).

I have two sisters. One can't stand the books, she tried to read them and gave up, they were not to her taste. But she likes both the LotR films, and AUJ. The other is a bit like me (perhaps not taking her fandom to quite the same degree...) and so, is another example of a female who liked the movie.

Regarding the characters not being relatable or likable to the female audience...surely you have not missed the impact Thorin (and his hair) have made with many of the female members of this forum?Cool

Mikah
Lorien

Sep 28 2013, 1:36am

Post #24 of 108 (510 views)
Shortcut
Maybe working at High Schools? [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess I am lucky here. When DoS came out I was working at a public charter school. So many Tolkien fanatics there. Twelve of us got together and saw DoS on opening night...waited 6 hours on a rainy night to see it. These people are huge fans. They quote everything from the Silmarillion to Lord of the Rings. It was crazy, Student Advisors, Guidance Counselors, Teachers, and IT. The Principal of the school was quite confused when she had that many people showing up late the following day! Good thing that kids were out for Christmas break.

As a matter of fact one of the Guidance Counselor's told me about this site when you guys were reading the Silmarillion. He said I really needed to join in because I was getting rusty on my lore!

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Sep 28 2013, 1:47am

Post #25 of 108 (502 views)
Shortcut
I loved The Hobbit book with no females at all [In reply to] Can't Post

Misoginy!

Neanderthal notions! This is the 21st century, lady, cant we update this black and white story for a modern era?

Geez....

Wink

Im with you. I never felt the testosterone bottle overflowing and ruining the story for me. Boyens's comments about this much needed energy are in my view, disrespectfull of TH novel, and ultimately the author himself.

Boyens is red haired herself isnt she? What a coincidence Angelic

Vous commencez ŗ m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.