Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Lighting in The Hobbit trilogy

jtarkey
Rohan

Sep 27 2013, 10:53am

Views: 787
Shortcut
Lighting in The Hobbit trilogy Can't Post

Before I even begin, I'm sure I have a reputation of negativity around here. However, I usually preface my critiques of AUJ with this...

I enjoy AUJ. I watch it very often, and my respects go to PJ and CO. for creating the LOTR trilogy as well as giving us a new adaptation to look forward to for the next year.

So now that I've gotten that out of the way, it's time to talk about something I noticed during my latest viewing. Lighting is a BIG problem in this film. It might be the REDs. It might be the 48fps. It might be the 3D. It may even be a combination of all these techniques that hurt the film aesthetically.

I noticed it first in Bag End. There is literally light coming out of nowhere. It shines unnaturally onto the actors faces and gives the entire environment a very artificial feel. I noticed it a second time in Rivendell, and a third in Goblin Town. Now, what do all of these locations have in common? Sets.

I can't put my finger on what the main culprit is, but sets have not been kind to this trilogy so far. In outdoor environments, the problem simply melts away. This is obviously because the lighting is real as opposed to artificial. I also want to acknowledge that LOTR had the same problem...to an extent. It's very difficult to re-create natural lighting. Some scenes with Frodo and Sam in and around Mordor look a little on the "iffy" side. However, I feel that film was a lot kinder to the restraints of a studio environment. I felt the need to post about it because of how off putting I find it. It may be the worst lighting I've ever seen in a movie with a budget this high.

Any one else notice this? Theories on the main reason? Disagree?

Any and all comments welcome!

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Subject User Time
Lighting in The Hobbit trilogy jtarkey Send a private message to jtarkey Sep 27 2013, 10:53am
    It's difficult to say that this aesthetic is intentional QuackingTroll Send a private message to QuackingTroll Sep 27 2013, 11:05am
    My two cents Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Sep 27 2013, 12:20pm
    Realism - what creates it? arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Sep 27 2013, 1:01pm
    The Candle Light of Bag End DwellerInDale Send a private message to DwellerInDale Sep 27 2013, 1:23pm
    What "bugs" me LordotRings93 Send a private message to LordotRings93 Sep 27 2013, 2:00pm
    It's an interesting question... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Sep 27 2013, 2:17pm
        doorway lighting Cirashala Send a private message to Cirashala Sep 28 2013, 3:34am
            Yes, you're right... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Sep 28 2013, 8:02am
    "It's sunlight and bright day, right enough," Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Sep 27 2013, 2:34pm
        Yes, that! // dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Sep 27 2013, 2:36pm
            i 100 percent agree with the original post cartermoulton Send a private message to cartermoulton Sep 27 2013, 3:25pm
                Do you? Fair enough dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Sep 27 2013, 4:07pm
                    Once again, Bomby TOTALLY agrees with dormouse Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Sep 27 2013, 4:36pm
                    An example of such in FOTR. Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Sep 27 2013, 4:50pm
                It doesn't look as real imin Send a private message to imin Sep 29 2013, 8:21am
    I can't say I've ever particularly noticed ... but ... DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Sep 27 2013, 4:45pm
        This reminds me of a FOTR appendix Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Sep 27 2013, 7:52pm
            Exactly Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Sep 27 2013, 8:26pm
    Good topic here. cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Sep 27 2013, 5:41pm
    I love discussions like this even though I have nothing to add! The Grey Wanderer Send a private message to The Grey Wanderer Sep 27 2013, 5:43pm
    Unexpected journey... StarGodziller Send a private message to StarGodziller Sep 27 2013, 6:09pm
    Its all simply explained by jackson Lusitano Send a private message to Lusitano Sep 28 2013, 3:48pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.