Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
America's Cup: down to the wire!

Elizabeth
Valinor

Sep 25 2013, 7:45am

Post #1 of 24 (168 views)
Shortcut
America's Cup: down to the wire! Can't Post

My dear Kiwi friends, I know you'll be glued to this tomorrow, via whatever medium works for you. So will I, with very mixed feelings! What an incredible turn of events!

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 25 2013, 8:34am

Post #2 of 24 (136 views)
Shortcut
It's been banned in my classroom! [In reply to] Can't Post

It has disrupted the whole week and messed with the minds of all my staff. I for one will be most glad when it is over, whatever the outcome.
Poor old Dean Barker. It's him and his team I really feel for.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 25 2013, 7:22pm

Post #3 of 24 (119 views)
Shortcut
I'm not looking. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's too hard to watch.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 25 2013, 7:24pm

Post #4 of 24 (120 views)
Shortcut
Mustn't ask us... [In reply to] Can't Post

...not its business. Crazy

Some of my work colleagues are in a very bad way. Please let it be over today.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 25 2013, 8:21pm

Post #5 of 24 (115 views)
Shortcut
I'm Switzerland in this, but leaning to the [In reply to] Can't Post

Kiwis. Normally, as a US citizen, I'd be all-in for the US team. However, Larry Ellison is kind of a jerk, and I don't like the boat style he's imposed on this year's race. I much prefer a more old-fashioned sailboat. The type of boat they're using is much too expensive, and really takes some of the romance out of the race.

So that puts me in the Kiwi camp. Of course, I love New Zealand, so it's easy to cheer them on. If it was any other country, I would be pulling for the US.

On the other hand, the US has overcome amazing obstacles to get to this point, so you have to love someone who came back like Team Oracle has.

So I guess I'll be happy whoever wins, but if the Kiwis promise to bring back more rational boats for the next cycle, I'll be thrilled if they win.

Moahunter
Rohan

Sep 25 2013, 9:20pm

Post #6 of 24 (113 views)
Shortcut
The cup was won by MONEY not Americans. [In reply to] Can't Post

How many were in Oracle's crew?

Nimloth
Lorien

Sep 25 2013, 9:31pm

Post #7 of 24 (110 views)
Shortcut
It's finally over [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sad we lost but glad it's over. It has certainly made travelling to work easier with so many people staying at home to watch the first race of the day. Wink

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 25 2013, 9:42pm

Post #8 of 24 (121 views)
Shortcut
How many All Blacks were born in New Zealand? [In reply to] Can't Post

Elite sports teams bring in top players from other countries as allowed by the rules of their sport's governing body, and Larry Ellison has done the same with his team in the America's Cup.

We were beaten by a team with a faster boat. Oracle got there with a lot of money behind them, but Team NZ weren't exactly poor either.

Both boats raced under agreed rules and we lost. Well done Oracle. Commiserations Team New Zealand - it's clear that everyone put their all into winning the cup but we just couldn't win that necessary last race. I feel really sorry for the boys on Aotearoa.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

bborchar
Rohan

Sep 25 2013, 10:19pm

Post #9 of 24 (108 views)
Shortcut
Waves small American flag :) [In reply to] Can't Post

This was a great race, in all seriousness. Every participant deserve congratulations.

"The thrill of the chase, the blood pumping through your veins...just the two of us against the rest of the world!" ~ Sherlock

(This post was edited by bborchar on Sep 25 2013, 10:21pm)

shadowdog
Rohan

Sep 26 2013, 1:42am

Post #10 of 24 (97 views)
Shortcut
This competition has gotten crazy [In reply to] Can't Post

The US team only had one American. Not sure how many Kiwis were on the NZ team. Crazy

Elizabeth
Valinor

Sep 26 2013, 3:37am

Post #11 of 24 (86 views)
Shortcut
As Ataahua pointed out... [In reply to] Can't Post

...many international sports teams have players from other countries, why should this one be different? According to the rules for America's Cup, the nationality of the team is determined by the nationality of the sponsoring yacht club, and the boat must have been built there.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 26 2013, 4:27am

Post #12 of 24 (77 views)
Shortcut
Go the Football Ferns! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've moved on. :)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/9211299/Football-Ferns-smash-China-to-win-silverware

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 26 2013, 4:30am

Post #13 of 24 (71 views)
Shortcut
:D / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua's stories

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 26 2013, 4:35am

Post #14 of 24 (85 views)
Shortcut
Very true [In reply to] Can't Post

regarding sports teams with members from other countries - that's often how players from smaller countries get experience on a wider stage.

Just for interest (and because our neighbour worked on the Oracle boat, just a few minutes from here! Talk about mixed emotions): it's specifically the hull that must be built in the official country of origin, not the whole boat. According to this article, 70% of the Oracle boat was built right here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/9213744/NZ-designer-No-blank-cheque-from-Larry Boat-building is quite an important industry for New Zealand.

My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Elizabeth
Valinor

Sep 26 2013, 7:18am

Post #15 of 24 (72 views)
Shortcut
Fascinating, thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

That was a very interesting article. In a previous thread, I mentioned having visited the America's Cup shed in the Viaduct Basin in 2011, when the AC45 prototypes were being tested. It's clear, now, that NZ has a reason to feel very proud with this win, although I'm sure you grieve for the official NZ team!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 26 2013, 3:17pm

Post #16 of 24 (67 views)
Shortcut
I heard that the Oracle skipper, a Kiwi [In reply to] Can't Post

worked with Larry Ellison on the design. Larry was the one who first introduced the catamaran style to the competition a few years ago. The winning team gets to dictate the design for the next race, so when America won the last Cup, Russell Coutts (the skipper) worked with Larry on the design to be used in this race.

Many, many years ago, Chicago mounted a Cup challenge. They didn't get far, but I contributed a few dollars. This was when the US lost the Cup for the first time ever. I still have a coffee mug from that challenge. It says "Bring the Cup Up" - from those horrid Aussies who "stole" it from us Wink

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Sep 26 2013, 3:19pm)

Elizabeth
Valinor

Sep 26 2013, 6:26pm

Post #17 of 24 (52 views)
Shortcut
The Oracle skipper is an Aussie. [In reply to] Can't Post

James Spithill was born in Sydney. He is married to an American, and lives in San Diego.

His first AC campaign was with Young Australia in 2000. Since then, he has worked for various international teams. He was beaten by Oracle in a Louis Vuitton Cup in 2003, and defeated Oracle for Luna Rossa in 2007. He has raced for Oracle since 2010.

imin
Valinor

Sep 26 2013, 7:30pm

Post #18 of 24 (52 views)
Shortcut
All down to Ainslie :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

'What's the matter with you?' - J.R.R. Tolkien

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 27 2013, 1:34am

Post #19 of 24 (33 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm, then the news article I read was incorrect [In reply to] Can't Post

It talked about Russell Coutts, and his win with Oracle.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 27 2013, 2:31am

Post #20 of 24 (32 views)
Shortcut
Coutts (a Kiwi) is CEO of Oracle Racing, [In reply to] Can't Post

while Spithill (an Aussie) is the skipper of the Oracle boat. However for the 2007 race Coutts was also the skipper.

Ataahua's stories

Elizabeth
Valinor

Sep 27 2013, 2:38am

Post #21 of 24 (36 views)
Shortcut
We're both right :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Spithill was the skipper of the winning boat. Coutts was the CEO of Oracle/TeamUSA.

Edit: Ataahua beat me to it!

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Sep 27 2013, 2:40am)

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 27 2013, 2:57am

Post #22 of 24 (34 views)
Shortcut
The cats actually go back a bit further than that [In reply to] Can't Post

To the somewhat infamous 1988 race, in fact: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_America%27s_Cup

Some years later we were in an Auckland restaurant one evening, and realised that Dennis Conner was at a neighbouring table. We exchanged pleasantries about the food (seafood, naturally) and left it at that. :)

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

(This post was edited by Kimi on Sep 27 2013, 3:37am)

Elizabeth
Valinor

Sep 27 2013, 3:27am

Post #23 of 24 (30 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that was freaky. [In reply to] Can't Post

At least these cats are fairly evenly rated! "Dennis the Menace" is not much loved here, either.

Aragorn's Sexy Scar
Bree

Sep 27 2013, 8:12am

Post #24 of 24 (38 views)
Shortcut
Sir Ben did good :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Everything changed for Oracle when Ben Ainslie came on board.He's an incredible sailor and a master tactician.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.