Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD: The Beacon is Lit

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Sep 26 2013, 6:24pm

Post #1 of 20 (445 views)
Shortcut
SCOD: The Beacon is Lit Can't Post

Welcome to another Screencap of the Day.

Here are the images:

You can see the full-sized images here, here and here.

As always feel free to answer any or all the questions.

1) What was your reaction when you first saw the beacon being lit? Were you as relieved/pleased as Gandalf that Pippin had succeeded?

2) This is the first sign in the films of any attempt for aid from Gondor. Denethor’s actions have been passive about the war from Sauron so far (unlike in the book). Do you like this deviation? Do you think it gave Gandalf and Pippin’s arrival more of a purpose?

Look at the pictures of Gandalf and Denethor.

3) What do you think about the lighting in each picture?

4) What do you think about the facial expressions?

5) Any other thoughts/comments about this scene?

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.
I can ask no more than that."

...... ~ Thorin Oakenshield

Erewen
The Shire

Sep 26 2013, 7:20pm

Post #2 of 20 (257 views)
Shortcut
Nice contrasts in this [In reply to] Can't Post

1) What was your reaction when you first saw the beacon being lit? Were you as relieved/pleased as Gandalf that Pippin had succeeded?
Definitely, I remember cheering in my head when I saw it I thought it was one of the most awesome shots in ROTK the music at this point is amazing.

2) This is the first sign in the films of any attempt for aid from Gondor. Denethor’s actions have been passive about the war from Sauron so far (unlike in the book). Do you like this deviation? Do you think it gave Gandalf and Pippin’s arrival more of a purpose?
It does give a better sense of urgency that the beacons really needed to be lit. However I dislike the portrayal of Denethor in the movie, although I understand they may not have had time to develop his character properly in the books I got a real feeling of pity for him and though not as much as say Theoden I did feel sad when he died.

The contrast between Gandalf in the light and Denethor in the dark is good as it symbolises their different viewpoints, Denethor has despaired whereas Gandalf still has hope.

Again it echoes their different viewpoints but I don't quite understand the almost bitter expression on Denethor's face, was he just too proud to accept help from Rohan?

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 26 2013, 8:45pm

Post #3 of 20 (244 views)
Shortcut
I'm a movie firster [In reply to] Can't Post

My reaction was general worriment for Pippin until I saw him underneath the beacon and climbing on the rock safe and sound. I think the filmmakers did this on purpose, just for fun, to make the audience jump. First you see Pippin climbing up the beacon and it takes him a little while, then the fire starts and Pippin realizes he must get down quickly (I love the look on Billy Boyd's face in this scene), it cuts to the guards of the beacon seeing the flames and then goes to the shot seen in the screencap you provided where the whole beacon is blazing with light. So its kind of a trick of the camera; if they hadn't cut to the guards of the beacons, there would not have been enough time for Pippin to climb down the beacon before it burst into flames. The music also helps add to this effect of a need to hurry.

Like I said, I'm a movie firster, so not only was I anxious about Pippin being caught on fire at the edge of a cliff, but I also didn't realize when things matched up with the book or not. I've read the book once and sporadically and quite honestly I don't remember a lot of the details. When re-watching ROTK I noticed that the reasons for going to Gondor were different, but I don't remember much about the beacons lighting scene and Denethor's attitude. I can say this however (and forgive me if I am forgetting the book again but I think this is a movie difference), I think it is kind of funny and odd to think that Théoden wasn't convinced by Gandalf to go to war, until Gandalf rode to Gondor and called for his help from there. Seriously, Théoden, what's the difference? "Wait, you mean Gandalf had those beacons lit by that fool of a Took just to get me here, and this was all against the will of Gondor?"....Yep. "Mutter mumble...darn wizard, and he says he's not a conjurer of cheap tricks..."

It's great! The white walls of Minas Tirith are awesome, and the color of white and its brightness can signify hope and light in the lighting of the beacons. It makes sense then, that Denethor, in his hard heartedness and misery, would be going back into the darkness of his own despair despite the hope that is offered to him.

Gandalf looks overjoyed. Later in the film he experiences his own hope being shaken by fear, but this still puts a huge smile on his face, so he at least has some hope! Denethor looks like he should. He always looks dismal, why wouldn't he look disgusted now when things are getting worse for him? I do feel bad for him though. If only he had thrown himself out of his misery while he could have. I know this is probably beating a dead horse, but I do wish his Palantir had been featured. This may not be relevant to the screencaps but I feel it effects all of his emotions, they would make so much more sense with the Palantir being the cause of his crazed anxiety and preoccupation. Oh well! What's in the film is good too.

Just that the music is awesome. Especially during the actual sequence that's coming up next, but even here, I like the playfulness of it all. Howard Shore always comes up with something great.

"I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I’m afraid, and he gives me courage.” - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir, if ever you should need my help, I will come." - Lady Galadriel.

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Sep 26 2013, 10:52pm

Post #4 of 20 (218 views)
Shortcut
A moment where I couldn't care less that it deviates from the books [In reply to] Can't Post

This is such an awesome scene with some super awesome music. Could be the best deviation from Tolkien in the trilogy. This scene makes me believe in PJ. Heart

(Howard Shore, as ever, is completely flawless here! In fact, "flawless" is an unjust understatement. Shore is truly magnificent here and in the following Beacons scene.)

By the way, I think Denethor is great in the movie. It's just a shame that we only really get to see the man right at the end of his tether, all but marble-less (too marble-less: where is the palantir? Tongue)

Then Manwë and Yavanna parted for that time, and Yavanna returned to Aulë; and he was in his smithy, pouring molten metal into a mould. 'Eru is bountiful,' she said. 'Now let thy children beware! For there shall walk a power in the forests whose wrath they will arouse at their peril.'

'Nonetheless they will have need of wood,' said Aulë, and he went on with his smith-work.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Sep 27 2013, 1:04am

Post #5 of 20 (208 views)
Shortcut
I LOVE this scene!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

(1) You wanna know my reaction when I first saw the beacons go up, blazing across the White Mountains all the way to the Halifirien on the borders of Rohan? I LOVED it! In fact, I'm struggling to find the words to express the otherworldly joy I felt when I saw the beacons lit and heard that music. My expression was probably similar to Gandalf's. I *still* want to cry with joy everytime I watch this scene. Smile Heart

(2) I love seeing the beacons as a scene in themselves, rather than get merely mentioned as they do in the books. However, I'm not very fond of how Denethor is portrayed in the movies. That's my only drawback about this scene. But I'll happily ignore it just to watch the flames race across the peaks...

(3) Have I mentioned the white walls of Minas Tirith and the White Wizard? They're beautiful here. Gandalf's overjoyed face is truly a delight to see. I also can't help but gush over the stonework - look at those arches! Look at the torches set into the walls! Why isn't Minas Tirith real so I can go and visit it??? Unsure

(4) Denethor's angry scowl is everything that is wrong with Gondor - the musing on heraldry, the asking questions of the stars in high cold towers, the counting the names in the rolls of ancestors more dear than the names of sons. Everything that led to its decline, the steadily increasing pride of the Stewards - it all coalesces into his scowl. He does not want the king to return. He does not want hope. If he cannot save Gondor, no one will save it. It is him vs. Sauron, Gondor vs. Mordor. He cannot look out, away from the walls of his own mind and of his own city.
Gandalf, on the other hand, does not look for hope within himself. He looks out - to other people, to other things. He knows he may be alone in organizing the resistance of the West against Sauron, but he knows he is not *alone*. The Men of the West stand with him. As the White, he knows the Valar stand, at least in thought, behind him and the West. He knows Eru Iluvatar meant for things to happen this way. And so he has hope.

(5) Those black pillars Denethor is clutching... they look like talons. Very appropriate and sinister imagery for his movie portrayal. He almost looks like a gargoyle himself - that, or a monument of some ruler frowning down on those approaching his tomb.

Other random comments?

Someone please explain to me why Theoden does an abrupt 180 when Aragorn comes rushing in Meduseld (taking the stairs three at a time, very impressive) and shouts, "The beacons of Minas Tirith! The beacons are lit!" It just makes no sense. I mean, the moment where he *does* say, "And Rohan shall answer. Muster the Rohirrim!" is a powerful moment, but every time he goes into his whole 'Where was Gondor' spiel, I want to yell at the screen, "HELLO! Eorl swore on the pains of hell over Elendil's grave that he and his descendants would aid Gondor! And Cirion swore to do the same, invoking Eru as only the kings of Numenor dared to do! You are most *certainly* obligated, Theoden, whether or not Gondor aided you! Now get your sorry self and your herd of ponies to Mundberg, stat!"

My family has heard that rant many times, believe me...

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Na Vedui
Rohan

Sep 27 2013, 1:38am

Post #6 of 20 (207 views)
Shortcut
Denethor [In reply to] Can't Post

Something about this shot of Denethor reminded me of a spider in its lair - like the one where we see Shelob's feet coming out of the hole. Brr.

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 27 2013, 2:20pm

Post #7 of 20 (203 views)
Shortcut
"Now all of Rohan knows you're here." "Perfect." [In reply to] Can't Post

1) What was your reaction when you first saw the beacon being lit?

“Mulan!”

(BTW, Shan Yu would have made a great orc leader.)

Were you as relieved/pleased as Gandalf that Pippin had succeeded?

Surprised is more like it. Hobbits don’t do mountain climbing.

2) This is the first sign in the films of any attempt for aid from Gondor. Denethor’s actions have been passive about the war from Sauron so far (unlike in the book).

Except that unlike in the book he’d pinned all his hopes on Boromir bringing back the ring. When that plan fails, and fails disastrously, he’s more than a little at beam ends.

Do you like this deviation?

If you want the “my father is a Noble man” speech at Lothlorien and The Sons of the Steward scene this is pretty much a logical, even unavoidable, consequence.

Do you think it gave Gandalf and Pippin’s arrival more of a purpose?

It gave Pippin more of a purpose other than feeling “like unneeded baggage”, though in fact that was Merry.

Two "likes" though only one gets a “share".

Bright White City, bright White Wizard. Frowning dark columns, frowning dark steward. I mean, his jowls are as long as Gandalf’s beard!

Gandalf: Great! Here comes Aragorn!

Denethor: Great. Here comes Aragorn.

”Not the Gandalf who was responsible for so many quiet lads and lasses going off into the Blue for mad adventures? Anything from climbing trees to visiting elves--or sailing in ships, sailing to other shores!”

Or, more precisely, climbing *up* ”into the Blue” and “like mariners in a mountainous ship look from its peak sheer down upon the Gate seven hundred feet below”.

Either Bilbo was prophetic, or somebody jiggered with The Red Book after the fact.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Sometime hours and hours hence:
In The Green Dragon two ales could buy
And drank the one less filling I
And that has made all the difference.
- The Ale Less Filling, by Robert Frostymug

Nuradar
Rohan

Sep 27 2013, 6:11pm

Post #8 of 20 (163 views)
Shortcut
One scowl to rule them all. [In reply to] Can't Post

Very excited. It definitely represented a turning point in the movie and in the overall storyline. Hope rekindled!

I don't mind the deviation from the book, as it does what you say - it gives other characters more prominence in the story. Always a good thing, when you have terrific actors such as these.

The lighting represents their mental states, and their overall intentions. Gandalf is elated and aims to fight evil. Denethor is severely depressed and has given up all hope. He's in a dark place.

Gandalf - one of the few times we see him smile in these films. Makes my heart happy.

Denethor - one of the all-time most evil scowls I've ever seen. Awesome.

(This post was edited by Nuradar on Sep 27 2013, 6:11pm)

flameofudun
Lorien

Sep 28 2013, 12:14am

Post #9 of 20 (155 views)
Shortcut
Thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

1. My first thought was" denethor will be furious" but, yes I thought something like this had to be done.
2. I think that at first gandalf had come to attempt to, first off aid gondor, second off, prepare discreetly for the arrival of isildurs heir, and thirdly, to push denethor out of his shell and try to convince theoden to help gondor.
3. I actually never noticed the lighting before, I will have to do a more in depth analogy on this one next time I watch this particular scene again, which won't be long in the future.
4.i think that the facial expressions are key. It conveys what's going on in the minds and actions of gandalf and denethor. Important. Also, it always amazes me to this day why denethor wouldn't even ask for help from Rohan, like it wouldn't hurt.
5. As a matter of fact I have a question... In the unfinished tales chapter "if cirion and eorl" it talks about a certain beacon(can't recall the name darn it) but it is where the memorial of elendil was originally kept, and where cirion and eorl swore their oaths. I will make another post here concerning the name, I will check my copy of unfinished tales tonight before bed. My question however, is pertaining to this: I could not seem to find a beacon hill matching this ones description, and was wondering if anyone else had... Or maybe this is a better question for next SCOD. Oh well I can just repost it there, or when they return to this one next time around. Or maybe they just skipped showing this one being lit? Help would be appreciated.

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

Na Vedui
Rohan

Sep 28 2013, 4:21pm

Post #10 of 20 (142 views)
Shortcut
It's Halifirien [In reply to] Can't Post

which in the books is the one on the border with Rohan, and is the nearest in the beacon chain to Edoras.

Rohan

Sep 28 2013, 5:08pm

Post #11 of 20 (125 views)
Shortcut
I cheered in my head too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think perhaps Denethor was just angry that Gandalf had disobeyed him at this point. Though, perhaps it is his pride that got in his way.

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.

Rohan

Sep 28 2013, 5:10pm

Post #12 of 20 (124 views)
Shortcut
Excellent answers! [In reply to] Can't Post

And, indeed the music is awesome. It really gave me that spark (excuse the pun there as we are talking about the beacon Sly) of hope.

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.

Rohan

Sep 28 2013, 5:14pm

Post #13 of 20 (119 views)
Shortcut
Maybe the palantir was in his cloak somewhere... [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh
I was actually wondering about that myself as they did not have that in the film anywhere.

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.

Rohan

Sep 28 2013, 5:22pm

Post #14 of 20 (119 views)
Shortcut
I LOVE this scene too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile
Indeed, I think the way the filmmakers chose the beacons to be a scene themselves instead of being mentioned (or seeing the last one in Edoras getting lit, and Aragorn sees it).

I wish I could visit Middle-Earth, too. *sighs*

Excellent analysis of this scene, Spinner!

Boy, how Aragorn ran up those steps - indeed, impressive. I actually feel sorry for Viggo, because he probably would have had to retake the shots, etc (though I could be wrong).
That was my favourite story - The Battle of the Field of Celebrant - because I really like anything to do with the Stewards of Gondor (need anyone ask why? Wink)

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.

Rohan

Sep 28 2013, 5:25pm

Post #15 of 20 (122 views)
Shortcut
Your post reminded me of that "Éomer's Bootcamp" on YouTube... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Laugh

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.

Rohan

Sep 28 2013, 5:27pm

Post #16 of 20 (117 views)
Shortcut
Agree with you there. [In reply to] Can't Post

The lightning, indeed, represents the character's intentions.
Thanks for posting. Wink

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Sep 28 2013, 5:28pm

Post #17 of 20 (121 views)
Shortcut
Field of Celebrant [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
That was my favourite story - The Battle of the Field of Celebrant - because I really like anything to do with the Stewards of Gondor (need anyone ask why? Wink)

Off-topic, but I loved that story too. But I seem to remember being extremely frustrated when Tolkien had been building up this battle and the text ended just as the battle was about to get started! Crazy Mad Tongue

Then Manwë and Yavanna parted for that time, and Yavanna returned to Aulë; and he was in his smithy, pouring molten metal into a mould. 'Eru is bountiful,' she said. 'Now let thy children beware! For there shall walk a power in the forests whose wrath they will arouse at their peril.'

'Nonetheless they will have need of wood,' said Aulë, and he went on with his smith-work.

Rohan

Sep 28 2013, 5:30pm

Post #18 of 20 (117 views)
Shortcut
Haha, indeed. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was saying to my sister "Denethor is not going to like this" and she was all "Gandalf is going to get into lots of trouble".
I at first was more concerned about Pippin - after all, if he should fall... Unsure

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.

Rohan

Sep 28 2013, 5:33pm

Post #19 of 20 (122 views)
Shortcut
I remember feeling that way too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps it was not important enough to go into great detail about it...

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Oct 10 2013, 8:17pm

Post #20 of 20 (112 views)
Shortcut
Howard Shore's "lower level" themes still beat out any other soundtrack [In reply to] Can't Post

There's obviously the main themes of Rohan, Gondor, Rivendale, Shire, Mordor, etc. that are present throughout the entire three films. But the ones that he writes for one particular instance (the beacons, Dwarrowdelf, the march of the Ents) are just so amazing. They still top other films main themes, at least in my opinion.

"Only, you've never done a hard day's work." - Merry

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.