Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
How could Thorin possibly draw his sword?

Blkcpt
Rivendell

Sep 26 2013, 4:22am

Post #1 of 12 (857 views)
Shortcut
How could Thorin possibly draw his sword? Can't Post

Think about it. It wouldn't fit through the skinny part of the scabbard.

(Oversized image removed - Ataahua).

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Sep 26 2013, 4:31am)

SaltedPork
Bree

Sep 26 2013, 4:24am

Post #2 of 12 (537 views)
Shortcut
It fits [In reply to] Can't Post

The skinny part of the scabbard isn't completely closed off. So the sharp part actually protrudes from the scabbard as he sheaths and unsheaths.

Blkcpt
Rivendell

Sep 26 2013, 4:27am

Post #3 of 12 (508 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

Well that shut me up. How did you know that?

SaltedPork
Bree

Sep 26 2013, 4:30am

Post #4 of 12 (480 views)
Shortcut
In the movie? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you can see it at some point in the movie... not really sure where. Or maybe in some bonus features.

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Sep 26 2013, 5:33am

Post #5 of 12 (451 views)
Shortcut
watch closely [In reply to] Can't Post

When Thorin first unsheathes it in the troll cave. You see the blade come up in the skinny part under his hand, and when he flips it toward the camera, you see the slit in the scabbard

The bigger mystery for me is-how in the name of Eru did he not cut his finger????!!!!

Race is meaningless. We all bleed red-no matter who or what we are. What matters is the heart. For each race has those with good hearts and those with bad hearts. You have a good heart. You do not deserve to die.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Sep 26 2013, 9:32am

Post #6 of 12 (353 views)
Shortcut
Possibly it was blunt [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure if elven blades can blunt, but those swords had been there a long time, so for a normal sword it would probably need sharpening with a whetstone before use.

Esmeralda
Bree

Sep 26 2013, 12:43pm

Post #7 of 12 (292 views)
Shortcut
Yep, [In reply to] Can't Post

I cringe when I see the naked blade slide under Thorin's index finger in that scene. He does try to flick his finger away, but still, oops! Those fake hands must make it so difficult to hold things correctly.

I expect those ancient elvish blades hold an edge quite well, otherwise he wouldn't be so impressed.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Sep 26 2013, 11:22pm

Post #8 of 12 (152 views)
Shortcut
A Dwarf's sword fits precisely where it needs to. [In reply to] Can't Post

And one should never judge the size of the sword by the shape of the scabbard.

Or something like that.

Angelic

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Sep 26 2013, 11:26pm

Post #9 of 12 (145 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

so....if I understand dwarfish anatomy correctly, they have larger than average heads, chests, hands, feet, and thicker muscles than human men.....then....perhaps....

Probably better stop before the Thorin fan club swoons.... Evil

Race is meaningless. We all bleed red-no matter who or what we are. What matters is the heart. For each race has those with good hearts and those with bad hearts. You have a good heart. You do not deserve to die.

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Sep 26 2013, 11:27pm

Post #10 of 12 (147 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I forgot to mention [In reply to] Can't Post

Thicker, longer, more lustrous hair....

Angelic

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 26 2013, 11:45pm

Post #11 of 12 (142 views)
Shortcut
Yup. I'm quite sure that's the case Cirashala. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
so....if I understand dwarfish anatomy correctly, they have larger than average heads, chests, hands, feet, and thicker muscles than human men.....then....perhaps....

Probably better stop before the Thorin fan club swoons
.... Evil

I've thought about it quite a lot and still can be a bit dizzying. Not good to think about while on a ladder. Wink

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Sep 26 2013, 11:48pm

Post #12 of 12 (158 views)
Shortcut
might want to stay away from ladders [In reply to] Can't Post

during such stimulating conversation Wink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.