Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
My prediction about Smaugs gem incrusted chest

Blkcpt
Rivendell

Sep 25 2013, 11:21pm

Post #1 of 16 (692 views)
Shortcut
My prediction about Smaugs gem incrusted chest Can't Post

When I read the hobbit the fact that smaug had gems and gold embedded in his chest because of the fact that he was just pure lazy really never matched his character and personality for me. A smart, sly, and cunning serpent should no doubt know of his un-shielded heart. My prediction is thaaaatt. When smaug takes over erabor that not everyone was able to escape. And that smaug knew of his un-shielded heart and forced some of the survivors to make him a magnificent breast plate of gold and gems to shield it and so that some of his precious treasure could be on him at all times. His treasure is like a drug to him. But in a act of defiance the dwarfs purposely fashion the area around his heart extremely weak. Smaug just strikes me as a character that would wear a jeweled breast plate and not just jewels embedded in his chest from being lazy

(This post was edited by Blkcpt on Sep 25 2013, 11:23pm)

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Sep 26 2013, 12:06am

Post #2 of 16 (333 views)
Shortcut
Not a bad thought [In reply to] Can't Post

But why would the dwarves agree to make him a breastplate in the first place? He's their deadly enemy. He might even kill one of them when they are trying to put the breastplate on him.

Blkcpt
Rivendell

Sep 26 2013, 1:13am

Post #3 of 16 (306 views)
Shortcut
Because they are slaves [In reply to] Can't Post

I read that one thing "the dark side" does is that they always take slaves. Smaug would put the breast plate on himself and just kill them once they have finished fashioning it. Of course not without the promise of letting them live once they have finished. Just a deeper plot.... Probably won't happen.

(This post was edited by Blkcpt on Sep 26 2013, 1:15am)

Luinnár
Rivendell

Sep 26 2013, 1:20am

Post #4 of 16 (311 views)
Shortcut
Maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

that is why Smaug is looking for the arkenstone...to cover up that spot.Shocked

Blkcpt
Rivendell

Sep 26 2013, 1:35am

Post #5 of 16 (314 views)
Shortcut
Don't get me started [In reply to] Can't Post

About the arkenstone. A thousand facets? All I saw was a semi glowing opal looking thing with not one facet. I thought they could have done ALOT better on such an important piece.

(This post was edited by Blkcpt on Sep 26 2013, 1:37am)

Luinnár
Rivendell

Sep 26 2013, 1:48am

Post #6 of 16 (299 views)
Shortcut
Sorry,Blkcpt. [In reply to] Can't Post

BlushEvil My imagination is running away from me again.

Blkcpt
Rivendell

Sep 26 2013, 4:09am

Post #7 of 16 (244 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

If PJ can change such major plot lines I think it's ok to have a active imagination on the minor ones haha

The Grey Elf
Gondor

Sep 26 2013, 4:03pm

Post #8 of 16 (154 views)
Shortcut
That's a very interesting scenario! [In reply to] Can't Post

A while ago I came up with my own hypothesis for Smaug's folly (hope you don't object to it being in the form of a poem):

Treasure bedazzled Smaug the sartorial dragon,
Garbing his boastful chest with ghostly gold and gems olden
Blind pride tailored his vanity
One jewel more would perfection be
Feathered ebony finished off his fateful fashion.

It will be interesting to find out if the movie gives any explanation for Smaug not protecting his most vulnerable spot. I would not doubt a being as arrogant as Smaug considered himself invulnerable. Narcissism might explain a lot.

Welcome more children to Middle Earth. Support The S.H.I.R.E. Project!

burgahobbit
Rohan

Sep 26 2013, 4:06pm

Post #9 of 16 (161 views)
Shortcut
Some have suggested [In reply to] Can't Post

That when the dwarves attack Smaug with their "artillery" they will knock off part of his armor and Bilbo notices it. Not a bad idea, though I kind of dislike there being a battle with Smaug and the dwarves. If PJ can pull it off that's great but it seems like it would be dumb. Smaug would "melt the flesh off their bones in the blink of an eye" wouldn't he? Tongue

"I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I’m afraid, and he gives me courage.” - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir, if ever you should need my help, I will come." - Lady Galadriel.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Sep 27 2013, 10:56am

Post #10 of 16 (89 views)
Shortcut
Ridiculous! Smaug doesn't take slaves [In reply to] Can't Post

His motivation is gold alone. When he takes the mountain all he wants is the gold, he's not interested in forcing slaves to do anything for him, that's far more out-of-character than having the gems pressed into his belly. He's not evil, remember, he's just selfish and vain.

Making someone else do something for him is almost embarrassing to him, as it implies he cannot do it himself. Even more embarrassing you imply he needs a coat to protect himself? His body is covered in dragon scales! He wouldn't want a coat as it would cover his perfect and impenetrable body.

We hear in AUJ that Smaug has been lying asleep on the gold for 60 years. You can't suddenly say it's out of character for him to appear lazy. It's not laziness that keeps him there, 60 years is not long time for a dragon. He's simply basking in his greed while the world outside grows jealous of him. THAT'S where he gets his pleasure.

The idea of the gems being pressed into his belly is a poetic concept of how much his possessions have consumed him - to the point that they've literally become a part of his body.

I personally like the idea of a gem (possibly the Arkenstone) covering his bare patch and falling away, or possible Bilbo pries the gem off while Smaug sleeps. But I don't see why anyone would have a problem with the one characteristic that makes Smaug different from other dragons? The jeweled belly is Smaug's defining feature! Don't change it.

Thranderz
Rohan

Sep 27 2013, 12:52pm

Post #11 of 16 (72 views)
Shortcut
I agree with this! [In reply to] Can't Post

The main theme, for me, is greed. *Spoilers* It leads to the downfall of Thorin and the irony is that it is the downfall of Smaug too. It's one of the many parts of the story that make it so unique and enchanting in my opinion. Smile

I simply walked into Mordor.

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 27 2013, 1:27pm

Post #12 of 16 (76 views)
Shortcut
I think a stone with a thousand facets would look pretty smooth.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... unless you could examine it really closely. Or it was a much, much bigger stone. Also It would reflect an lot of light, as that did. A thousand is an awful lot of facets.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Sep 27 2013, 2:32pm

Post #13 of 16 (76 views)
Shortcut
A gem with literally 1000 facets [In reply to] Can't Post

I posted this image last year when we were discussing the Arkenstone. You might remember it, Dormouse?

http://www.flickr.com/...emstones/5740583486/

My original post in 2012:
http://newboards.theonering.net/...latest_reply;so=ASC;

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Sep 27 2013, 2:32pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 27 2013, 2:35pm

Post #14 of 16 (67 views)
Shortcut
I didn't, no.... [In reply to] Can't Post

But thanks for the reminder. It is really beautiful!

Na Vedui
Rohan

Sep 27 2013, 3:13pm

Post #15 of 16 (62 views)
Shortcut
Dragons might be a bit like those big snakes... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that can swallow a whole antelope, i.e. not "lazy" as such, but when they eat, they really do eat, and then have to lie still for ages to digest what they've had.

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Sep 28 2013, 6:49am

Post #16 of 16 (41 views)
Shortcut
how do you conclude Smaug is not evil [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien dragons have soft underbellies that is why he used the encrusted gems as a protective coat. This fact of soft underbellies is mentioned in both TH and LOTR.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.