Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Do you cite lines from the movies in everyday life?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Nuradar
Rohan

Sep 25 2013, 12:14pm

Post #1 of 56 (637 views)
Shortcut
Do you cite lines from the movies in everyday life? Can't Post

Hello fellow TORN-sibs. Every now and again, I find myself blurting out a line from the movies - in proper context, of course. There are several lines I say regularly, but the 3 most common ones are:

- Whenever I see a flock of crows (I do know the proper word is "murder" of crows, but I just don't like the sound of it), I shout, "Crebain from Dunland!" I've done it so often, that I think my wife now does it, even when I'm not around :)

- Whenever I encounter a situation that is unclear, I say, "What is this new devilry?"

- Whenever I eat ribs, I first have to say, "Ripe meat off the bone!"

What lines from the movies do you say?

Nuradar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 25 2013, 1:00pm

Post #2 of 56 (298 views)
Shortcut
All the time! [In reply to] Can't Post

Whenever someone at work asks if I went to the meeting... "Yes. I've been there and back again."

When something vexes me, "Well... if that isn't a plague and a nuisance!"

When looking at clothing or anything that's loud in colour, "I like white better."

I'm always inserting, "If you take my meaning."

When something makes me feel light and happy, "I feel as if I was inside a song."

When I'm with a crowd of friends or co-workers on our way to... anywhere... I fight the urge (and usually lose) to call out, "Forth Eorlingas!"

When I've been on a long walk and my arthritis starts screaming, I think "Walking for pleasure! Why didn't I drive!?"

I have trouble walking through the produce department without fighting the urge to stuff carrots in my pocketsessssss...

Oh geez... I'll be here all day!

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 25 2013, 1:06pm

Post #3 of 56 (282 views)
Shortcut
Definitely! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now, the first two you mentioned, yes! I have said both of those too Sly. But the third one, I had not thought of. Now that you have gone and mentioned it, of course I'll not be able to ever have those barbecued spare ribs from the chinese take out again without saying it. For which I'm sure my family thanks you in advance, Nuradar Tongue.

Whenever I have to trick my cat into doing something - like coaxing him to come to me so I can put him inside his traveler to take him to the vet - I have that same guilty feeling as Frodo and find myself saying, "Come, Smaegol, you must trust Master!"

Also when with my family I have often interject my opinion in a discussion by saying, "If anyone was to ask for my opinion, which I note they're not..." however I only do that with family because that's certainly not something to say around people who don't recognize it Sly!

That's all I have time for now! Fun topic, Nuradar, thanks for kicking it off!

sherlock
Gondor

Sep 25 2013, 1:08pm

Post #4 of 56 (274 views)
Shortcut
You have no power here! [In reply to] Can't Post

I use that one a lot. Also, tomatoes, sausages, nice crispy bacon was used by me and my husband a lot around the time fellowship came out. And, of course, always have to talk about second breakfast. The orcs (or whatever) are too meeny.Wink

sherlock
Gondor

Sep 25 2013, 1:12pm

Post #5 of 56 (265 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I forgot [In reply to] Can't Post

I use the opinion one a lot, too.

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 25 2013, 1:19pm

Post #6 of 56 (276 views)
Shortcut
"Tell me, boss, when did management abandon reason for madness?" [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I've really said that at staff meetings.

Also, when I find we're arguing over minutiae: "It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. Such a little thing."

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Sometime hours and hours hence:
In The Green Dragon two ales could buy
And drank the one less filling I
And that has made all the difference.
- The Ale Less Filling, by Robert Frostymug

Nuradar
Rohan

Sep 25 2013, 1:30pm

Post #7 of 56 (264 views)
Shortcut
Forth Eorlingas! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ha! I love it. Must use that regularly from now on...

Thanks gramma

Nuradar
Rohan

Sep 25 2013, 1:33pm

Post #8 of 56 (246 views)
Shortcut
you're welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad I showed you a new line you can use!

I snorted out loud at your "Come, Smeagol, you must trust Master!" line to coax your cat. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

As for Gimli's line, I often find myself saying it in my head and not out loud. I will have the courage one day to say it out loud :)

Thanks!

Nuradar

Nuradar
Rohan

Sep 25 2013, 1:35pm

Post #9 of 56 (246 views)
Shortcut
oooooh, good one [In reply to] Can't Post

Never thought of that line from King Theoden. Nice one. Add that to the list....

Thanks sherlock,

Nuradar

Nuradar
Rohan

Sep 25 2013, 1:37pm

Post #10 of 56 (249 views)
Shortcut
Wow, those take courage [In reply to] Can't Post

Brilliant use of movie lines, my friend. Brilliant.

It takes courage to say Gandalf's line in a meeting. Good for you!

Boromir's line is a great one, too. I've never used it, but will definitely remember it the next time I find myself in an appropriate situation to use it.

Thanks Darkstone!

Nuradar

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 25 2013, 1:59pm

Post #11 of 56 (252 views)
Shortcut
if you ain't first you're last [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a bad feeling about this.

One does not simply _________(whatever applicable to the situation).

But you have heard of me.

Nobody puts ______(whatever applicable) in the corner.

Feel the Force.

You're a wizard, Harry.

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Tauriel saved us from Itaril. Never forget.

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Sep 25 2013, 2:24pm

Post #12 of 56 (269 views)
Shortcut
With two little geeky kids, it's easy. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Little Goblin, who definitely marches to his own beat, calls everything the Precious. Legos, cupcakes, granola bars, anything he is coveting at any given moment. Sometimes he even does it in Gollum's voice.

Our church offers breakfast to kids on Sunday before catechism classes start. The Little Eruvandes eat breakfast at home, and insist on Second Breakfast at church.

The Little Goblin often calls out, while running somewhere, "Wait! I signed it!"
If I ask him where he's going, it's, "I'm going on an adventure!"

Then there's all the Star Wars lines, Indiana Jones lines, Adventure Time lines, King of the Hill lines, etc. We watch way too much tv. CrazyUnsure

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Sep 25 2013, 2:42pm

Post #13 of 56 (250 views)
Shortcut
All. The. Time. [In reply to] Can't Post

"I'm going on an adventure!" - Every. Morning. It's a prerequisite as I leave the house. If I don't say it, someone else in the family is guaranteed to say it for me.

"That does sound quite nice." - Food, potential plans to go out, anything, it's applicable.

"I lost my way. Twice." - I even did a makeshift 'Thorin Oakenshield Award' on Paint for myself after getting lost on the same road. TWICE. Blush Shocked Angelic

"I eat punks like you for second breakfast." - After we saw a picture of Pippin with this caption, my brother and I have had fun quoting this whenever we think it's applicable (and also many times when it's just for the random lolz).

"What is this new devilry?" - Yep, been there, done that, said that.

"One does not simply..." - *Always* applicable. One guy in my speech class even concluded his speech with this. He even did the appropriate 'eye of Sauron' hand gesture (and I realize that Boromir is not doing that when he says 'One does not simply...' but it's too late to stop the meme.) The whole class got the reference and laughed, but the teacher clearly had no idea what was going on. Laugh

"That'll be the door." - Also convertible to a great many situations: "That'll be the phone," for instance.

One of these days, in the middle of an argument with no end in sight, I plan to suddenly stand up and announce dramatically: "I will take it! I will take the Ring to Mordor!" I just want to see what will happen... Cool

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Luinnįr
Rivendell

Sep 25 2013, 2:46pm

Post #14 of 56 (235 views)
Shortcut
"You cannot not pass!" [In reply to] Can't Post

Or at least that is what goes through my mind when presented with a hard test...Frown

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 25 2013, 3:12pm

Post #15 of 56 (234 views)
Shortcut
Or retirement age. [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the perks of being old. Wink

Nowadays I'm working just because I love and believe in the job, not because I need the money.Smile

cats16
Valinor

Sep 25 2013, 3:43pm

Post #16 of 56 (244 views)
Shortcut
"What of it?" [In reply to] Can't Post

That Thorin line comes out every so often.

Oh, and also "Keep breathin'. That's the key." During rigorous activities.Cool

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 25 2013, 3:59pm

Post #17 of 56 (219 views)
Shortcut
I do! [In reply to] Can't Post

I use Butterbur's line "well, one thing drives out another, as they say", whenever I a forgetful.

I also mutter "yrch", whenever I am irritated or harassed.

When surprised I exclaim "Aiya!"

Sean Bean is ALWAYS quotable!

I am always looking for more quotes from the books or movie, so that I can use them in RL.

I started a similar thread a few months back entitled Tolkienite slips, after Freudian slips.

Nuradar
Rohan

Sep 25 2013, 4:16pm

Post #18 of 56 (233 views)
Shortcut
"I'm going on an adventure!" [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a great one. I must remember to use it.

Thanks!

KasDel
Rivendell

Sep 25 2013, 4:18pm

Post #19 of 56 (234 views)
Shortcut
Sam's quote in 'The Two Towers' [In reply to] Can't Post

*Po-tay-toes!* Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew...

My grandkid's got me stuck on this one!

KasDel the Last

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." Gildor

Nuradar
Rohan

Sep 25 2013, 4:19pm

Post #20 of 56 (214 views)
Shortcut
Genius idea... [In reply to] Can't Post

...standing up and saying, "I will take it! I will take the ring to Mordor!"

I'm starting to see that Boromir's "One does not simply...(walk into Mordor)" speech is especially handy for many situations. I must remember that one, for sure.

Thanks Werde Spinner!

Nuradar

Nuradar
Rohan

Sep 25 2013, 4:20pm

Post #21 of 56 (210 views)
Shortcut
a nice situation to be in // [In reply to] Can't Post

Nuradar
Rohan

Sep 25 2013, 4:21pm

Post #22 of 56 (216 views)
Shortcut
HA! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've used Gimli's "Keep breathin'" line several times. I guess that means I'm quite out of shape. Not a good sign :)

Thanks cats16,

Nuradar

Nuradar
Rohan

Sep 25 2013, 4:23pm

Post #23 of 56 (210 views)
Shortcut
Very nice [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that's the only line from the movies that my wife says. Love it when she does that.

Thanks KasDel,

Nuradar

(This post was edited by Nuradar on Sep 25 2013, 4:23pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 25 2013, 4:24pm

Post #24 of 56 (215 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Oh, and also "Keep breathin'. That's the key." During rigorous activities.

That too! And, at my age, not just during rigorous activties!Wink

RosieBaggins
Rivendell

Sep 25 2013, 5:37pm

Post #25 of 56 (207 views)
Shortcut
Yes indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Who can resist saying "It's my own, my precocious!"
I also say "What new Devilry is this?"

On our Philmont trip, me and my fellow LotR fans were constantly comparing our journey to the Fellowship's journey, joking about how we were crossing brandywine bridge, or how the mountain we were climbing was Mt. Doom.... While everyone else looked at us like we were crazy people :P

My progress so far on my walk to Rivendell
I have traveled 71 miles
I have passed Buckleberry Ferry.
It is 2 miles to the next landmark.
I have 387 miles until I reach Rivendell.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.