Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Technology: a Double-Edged Sword?!

Sunflower
Valinor

Sep 23 2013, 11:17pm

Post #1 of 10 (157 views)
Shortcut
Technology: a Double-Edged Sword?! Can't Post

Some of you may have noticed that I started a popular thread a couple weeks ago and never bothered to reply to it. My bad--so sorry (the Local dialects etc" thread.)
This is not b/c I was being thoughtless.
It's b/c my PC was hit by a MONSTER virus that basically took out everything. The hard drive is OK (thank God) and everything was backed up, but I can't do ANYTHING on my PC. (this is being posted from a library.) I can't even access the Help Desk so to speak. I took it to a computer repair shop and I am not going to tell you folks how much I have to pay to have the dratted thing debugged....
In the meantime, I missed, among other things, a TON of Hobbit news and the Jo Rowling's new screenplay project for WB. (which I pound my fists I missed the thread on!!)

It's times like this when I think that I HATE technology...I mean I love you guys and TORN and you're one of my "second familes" (longtime online friends) and I wouldn't give you up for the world, but how fragile all this is... I wasn't doing anything peculiar on the Net when the virus popped up, but one minute I was happily typing away and the next, BINGO, I am off the grid...might as well have been off the *electrical* grid!

If anyone of you has had the same misfortune befall them, please vent here...and I'll try to reply in my own thread! <g> How do you all feel about how we've come to depend on the Net?

Patty
Immortal

Sep 24 2013, 1:07am

Post #2 of 10 (103 views)
Shortcut
My sympathies. That has happened to us before. [In reply to] Can't Post

And it is very expensive to get fixed. It's so odd that some people would find writing viruses and things to be a fun way to spend their time. Destroying stuff for strangers they've never met. But I guess that's life.

I spend most of my time on the iPad now, and have not had any problems like that. But of course, the iPad can't do everything. And I'm timid about taking the update to iOS 7 because I have heard that so many people have problems with the bugs that have not been ironed out yet. I guess you always have to take the good with bad, but it's very expensive and frustrating to do so. I hope your computer gets sorted soon.

Permanent address: Into the West

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Sep 24 2013, 1:00pm

Post #3 of 10 (74 views)
Shortcut
Nah... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was without my laptop (oh, the horror!) for about a week this month. Fortunately it was a hardware problem and the laptop was still under warranty. But still, I had to wait to mail it to a repair center, and wait for it to be mailed back and all.

But somehow failures of technology don't bother me all that much.During my laptop-less time I did a lot of reading (discovered the Percy Jackson series, which surprised me with its not-badness...though I suppose it shouldn't, as my son ate them up and our tastes generally coincide on reading).

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 24 2013, 2:04pm

Post #4 of 10 (72 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

There are no perfect solutions to any one, technological problem. Each solution/improvement? comes with a drawback. Internal combustion brings power and quicker transport, but also pollution and crimes.

We could go on listing the pros and cons for each new invention, but misuse of something does not preclude proper use. Much like in Tolkien, motivation plays a large part in the mastering, or being mastered, by a new invention. You could go into it with wrong motives and do good, but would quickly fall into misuse and abuse of the power.

On the other hand, you could go into it with the purest intentions, but there will still be that temptation to appropriate the power that you have been given, for personal gains, profit, or revenge.

The Ring, in itself, was not evil (in my interpretation) but in the process of claiming it, lay the danger. The new ring-wielder would need to rid himself of all rivals, so that the evil use would not threaten the world. A noble sentiment, ridding the world of evil, but it would be hard to accomplish. The Ring was not an absolute power, only an advantage. A war would NEED to be fought to destroy evil. That is where the danger comes. The pure hearted soul, would be incapable of fighting that war. His private paradise of good would be squashed by the least of the Enemy's might. He would need to be a man of strength, to wield the Ring and lead armies. But what then would happen? How many ambushes, traps, and battles would occur? How many men and orcs killed? The pure individual could never stomach this, and the strong individual would be tempted, at least, to use treachery to end the conflict sooner. In that case, the wielder would take the place left by evil. They would own the same actions that had put the Enemy in power, and be more inclined to follow the downward spiral to destruction.

The pure could not use power to fight, and the fighters would be tempted, at least, and not be pure, strictly speaking. In a perfect world, with a pure soul given absolute power, there would be no abuse, but in a morally muddled world, there would always be evil that would try to take power from the good. In all cases, there would be a temptation to justify the means by the ends, and no pure soul could remain so, in doing such.

The moral high road is lonely and steep. It also lacks guard rails to keep us on the path.

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Sep 24 2013, 5:03pm

Post #5 of 10 (59 views)
Shortcut
Interestingly, [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There are no perfect solutions to any one, technological problem. Each solution/improvement? comes with a drawback. Internal combustion brings power and quicker transport, but also pollution and crimes.

the combustion engine was first seen as the solution to pollution. People didn't understand smog or carbon monoxide, but they knew all about horse patties. The lesson I take from that is, always look for the problem caused by the solution.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

sherlock
Gondor

Sep 24 2013, 5:38pm

Post #6 of 10 (59 views)
Shortcut
I updated my phone to iOS 7 [In reply to] Can't Post

and I'm happy with it. Siri works so much better and the camera is improved. It does drain your battery more quickly and I was hesitant about updating my iPad but I did and I haven't had any problems with it. It's a bit hard to get used to certain changes but I'll manage. The camera on the iPad is better but I never use my iPad as a camera. I use my digital camera and the accessory that lets me put my pictures on my iPad. Sometimes I use my phone as a camera when I don't have my digital one on me.

Patty
Immortal

Sep 24 2013, 7:36pm

Post #7 of 10 (51 views)
Shortcut
My sister and I are always laughing at the way Siri cannot recognize the word... [In reply to] Can't Post

Nanny. She always prints out Manny. My sis updated her iPad 4 , and Siri still doesn't get it right.

This was one of the main things that I wanted to know about the update, if Siri's voice recognition software was any better.. I'm still not anxious to do it, and I'm still at iOS 6. Also, I have the iPad 3, which does not have a high-definition rear facing camera. I was wondering if there was any way they could improve on that with just a software update.

Sunflower
Valinor

Sep 25 2013, 12:13am

Post #8 of 10 (47 views)
Shortcut
It's interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

that you refer to Siri as "she" simply b/c the software speaks in a female voice. If I had the i5 I'd simply call the phone still an "it." It would be far easier for me to begin to refer to computers as "he" or "she" if they looked like Artoo or Threepio. (and; I'll bet some company is working on that.) This brings up the throrny issue of our computers eventually controlling our lives instead of them being a reference and tool--Frank Herbert's nightmare potentially coming to life....that scene in Neil Blomkamp's "Elysium" comes to mind where Matt Damon's character gets arrested and interrogated by...a robot. He snaps back a remark in a sracastic manner, not beleiving perhaps that a robot--an AI that he could easily dismatle with a well-placed hidden RPG--has the legal authority to do with him as they wish, power over him just as a human would. In this case he fears not the robit but the corporate entity that manufactured it and whihc is spying on him using its software, so the robit, like the slave overseer, is only a tool for evasion of legal accountabilty of abuses of power. Just as white slave owners used black "middle manager" overseers to do most of the plantation punishments in some cases. But in this case, you need not worry about the moral degredation and anger and potential danger posed by a non- fleash-and-blood entity.

I was going to continue this with a refelction on the Ring and Syria but I won't. Suffice it to say that my views on this will prove controvrsial. Given my family history, I wish I could join the crowd of currently self-congragulatory peaceniks in Europe and America, but my family's brush with genocide a century ago gives me a somewhat differen POV about bullies who genuinely, through their actions, threaten the global peace and are allowed to get away with it. This goes not only for the dictators but us as well. I'd loved to have seen us hauled into the Hague if it would stop any of what we're doing around the world. Andthat's not an easy thing for me to say. Suffice it to say that the dicators have won, through the actions of our peaceniks. A year ago I'd never have said that....

Having a time limit I will close, but I'll be back..thanks for listening to my blather of a thread:)

Patty
Immortal

Sep 25 2013, 1:16am

Post #9 of 10 (35 views)
Shortcut
I call her she because… [In reply to] Can't Post

I read somewhere that Siri is Norwegian for "beautiful woman who leads you to victory". Kinda funny to me that in IOs 7 you can change the gender to male...

Sometimes it really is just as simple as that.

(This post was edited by Patty on Sep 25 2013, 1:18am)

Donry
Tol Eressea

Sep 26 2013, 12:47am

Post #10 of 10 (18 views)
Shortcut
It is scary [In reply to] Can't Post

I had my laptop crash a year ago. It was my life, I used it for everything. I am still annoyed that it happened. I still have not 'recovered' from it. I still have not replaced everything that was lost, some of which I lost forever because it wasn't backed up and some I just haven't had the heart. As I'm anticipating another crash and I just don't have it in me to re-create some of the stuff I had on there.
I knew how much I relied on it before the crash, but I realized I didn't know how much I relied on it after the crash. It has been an eye opener. I don't have photos in a shoeboxes or photo albums anymore, they are all on phones or computers. Some are backed up, but not all, and I am trying my best now to back everything up - at least once.
I hadn't realized how much my daily habits and rituals revolved around having my own laptop. I have access to a computer at work, but the security there is so tight, many sites are unavailable...and there is absolutely no personal stuff tolerated on those systems, so work was out of the loop for me. So in the end, I love having my technology but am in trouble without it. I would love to say I have learned my lesson, but I still dont' back-up things as often or as quickly as I should.....I guess the difference is that I am backing things up....more than pre-crash.......

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

http://donryfetor.blogspot.com/
@DonryFetor

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.