Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's interesting

Sunflower
Valinor

Sep 25 2013, 12:13am

Views: 42
Shortcut
It's interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

that you refer to Siri as "she" simply b/c the software speaks in a female voice. If I had the i5 I'd simply call the phone still an "it." It would be far easier for me to begin to refer to computers as "he" or "she" if they looked like Artoo or Threepio. (and; I'll bet some company is working on that.) This brings up the throrny issue of our computers eventually controlling our lives instead of them being a reference and tool--Frank Herbert's nightmare potentially coming to life....that scene in Neil Blomkamp's "Elysium" comes to mind where Matt Damon's character gets arrested and interrogated by...a robot. He snaps back a remark in a sracastic manner, not beleiving perhaps that a robot--an AI that he could easily dismatle with a well-placed hidden RPG--has the legal authority to do with him as they wish, power over him just as a human would. In this case he fears not the robit but the corporate entity that manufactured it and whihc is spying on him using its software, so the robit, like the slave overseer, is only a tool for evasion of legal accountabilty of abuses of power. Just as white slave owners used black "middle manager" overseers to do most of the plantation punishments in some cases. But in this case, you need not worry about the moral degredation and anger and potential danger posed by a non- fleash-and-blood entity.

I was going to continue this with a refelction on the Ring and Syria but I won't. Suffice it to say that my views on this will prove controvrsial. Given my family history, I wish I could join the crowd of currently self-congragulatory peaceniks in Europe and America, but my family's brush with genocide a century ago gives me a somewhat differen POV about bullies who genuinely, through their actions, threaten the global peace and are allowed to get away with it. This goes not only for the dictators but us as well. I'd loved to have seen us hauled into the Hague if it would stop any of what we're doing around the world. Andthat's not an easy thing for me to say. Suffice it to say that the dicators have won, through the actions of our peaceniks. A year ago I'd never have said that....

Having a time limit I will close, but I'll be back..thanks for listening to my blather of a thread:)

Subject User Time
Technology: a Double-Edged Sword?! Sunflower Send a private message to Sunflower Sep 23 2013, 11:17pm
    My sympathies. That has happened to us before. Patty Send a private message to Patty Sep 24 2013, 1:07am
        I updated my phone to iOS 7 sherlock Send a private message to sherlock Sep 24 2013, 5:38pm
            My sister and I are always laughing at the way Siri cannot recognize the word... Patty Send a private message to Patty Sep 24 2013, 7:36pm
                It's interesting Sunflower Send a private message to Sunflower Sep 25 2013, 12:13am
                    I call her she because… Patty Send a private message to Patty Sep 25 2013, 1:16am
    Nah... arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Sep 24 2013, 1:00pm
    Well.... Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Sep 24 2013, 2:04pm
        Interestingly, Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Sep 24 2013, 5:03pm
    It is scary Donry Send a private message to Donry Sep 26 2013, 12:47am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.