Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies (et. al.) did you watch last weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 23 2013, 4:18am

Post #1 of 32 (308 views)
Shortcut
What movies (et. al.) did you watch last weekend? Can't Post

which really means what visual, moving media have you watched recently or since the last time you posted?

I watched Gunless after a mention of that movie from someone on the boards. It's a Canadian film and it has that same kind of gentle, slowish nature of many Canadian films. The premise is a US Wild West gunslinger has fled capture by crossing over the boarder to Canada where he finds his gunslinging ways make him a fish out of water.

It was okay but I found it a bit didactic. I actually agree (rare political comment) that the US has a crazy attitude towards guns (/rare political comment) but I don't like didactic films/stories. And I liked Paul Gross better in Slings and Arrows.

I also watched The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. Again, it was okay. Well, in spots, I was reacting with a bit of emotion but it might have been my frame of mind. It wasn't quite what I expected. It wasn't a feel good movie where all the characters are jovial and predictable. Not completely, anyhow. I love Judi but she always plays to her strengths (and, I think, the audience's expectations). Maggie played quite the different character than in Downtown Abbey. The actresses that really impressed me with moving farthest afield from what I've seen her in recently was Penelope Wilton. She took on the role that had no glory in it.

I don't think it was a spectacular movie but it's worth watching.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 23 2013, 6:23am

Post #2 of 32 (186 views)
Shortcut
Solomon Kane (2009) [In reply to] Can't Post

Solomon Kane has finally come to to U.S. home video and I've caught it through NetFlix. I've seen this movie get attacked a lot on the internet, but it isn't a bad film. It plays fast and loose with Kane's fictional background, but no worse than Peter Jackson does with Tolkien's history of Middle-earth. In fact, I would say that Jackson makes much greater alterations.

Solomon Kane has a grittier, more authentic feel for the period of its setting (16th Century Europe) than most fantasy films. It is well-acted, particularly by James Purefoy (as Kane) and Pete Postlethwaite (as the Puritan, Willliam Crowthorn). I have some issues with Kane portrayed as a man turned to evil until he learns that his soul is damned. But at the same time, I have to admit that Robert E. Howard's Kane is a pretty two-dimensional character as originally written. The visual effects are far inferior to those of the LotR films, but they are sufficient to the story being told. The movie entertained me. I don't expect much more than that.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Sep 23 2013, 12:40pm

Post #3 of 32 (205 views)
Shortcut
Austenland [In reply to] Can't Post

I felt kind of "meh" about it. I tried to think of the movie as a spoof, but if it was, it wasn't wholehearted about it. Honestly, there very little about it, besides the costumes (and the life-size cutout of Mr. Darcy), that really made it about Jane Austen's books or even her themes. I found myself wondering exactly what the point of the movie was. It was probably something about looking beyond the surface or separating fantasy from real life, but I can't be sure. We never got beyond the surface of anything, and if anything the movie promoting living in a fantasy world. Crazy

The female characters were disappointingly stock parts (even Jane Seymour's character, although of course Jane played her well). The main male characters were a little better, but just a little. JJ Feild was good, as always, and Keri Russell no doubt played the part written for her just fine (at times she was seriously channeling Amanda Root), but the part was just...too flimsy, in my opinion.Unsure I wasn't looking for a Jane Austen adaption, but I was looking for something that had, if not meat, at least some bite to it. No such luck.

"It was just a sword, beautiful in the way of a weapon, with the jewels in the hilt set in gold scrollwork, and the blade glimmering and eager, as if it would fight of itself. Weapons are named for this; some are eager fighters, some dogged, some unwilling; but all are alive."--The Hollow Hills

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 23 2013, 2:45pm

Post #4 of 32 (180 views)
Shortcut
The movie of Marigold Hotel... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is a feel-good movie in contrast with the book, which is dismal and depressing. This is a rare instance in which the movie is better than the book, in that you don't reach the end ready to crawl away and kill yourself but at least feel hopeful about the future of the (considerably less grim and nasty) characters. Dench, Smith, and especially Wilton stole the show.

I enjoyed the Indian aspects of the movie, too, some of which were presented with sly wit.

Meneldor
Grey Havens

Sep 23 2013, 9:32pm

Post #5 of 32 (173 views)
Shortcut
I liked Solomon Kane OK too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Something that surprised me about it was that the Puritans were shown in a positive light. I expect big mainstream movies to show them as strict, joyless, severe, judgemental, and unsympathetic, but these people were a loving family who practiced the compassion, generosity, and forgiveness that they preached.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Old Toby
Gondor

Sep 23 2013, 10:23pm

Post #6 of 32 (157 views)
Shortcut
Penelope [In reply to] Can't Post

A friend of mine loves this movie, so when I said I'd never seen it, she bought me a copy! It's a 2006 film and stars Christina Ricci and James McAvoy. It's a modern fairy tale about a young lady who through an old family curse has the nose of a pig (yup), and the curse won't be lifted until she finds someone who loves her for who she is. It's a comedy, and I found it very entertaining and has a nice little lesson in it. It's a good family movie, I think. (And I've liked James McAvoy ever since I saw him as Mr. Tumnus in the Chronicles of Narnia.)

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

(This post was edited by Old Toby on Sep 23 2013, 10:26pm)

Patty
Immortal

Sep 24 2013, 1:10am

Post #7 of 32 (147 views)
Shortcut
Oh, that's disappointing to hear [In reply to] Can't Post

I have been looking forward to this movie. Thanks for this review.

Permanent address: Into the West

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Sep 24 2013, 1:48am

Post #8 of 32 (142 views)
Shortcut
I hope I didn't rain on your parade :( [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe you would enjoy it more than I did, or enjoy the costumes and silliness without expecting too much depth! Smile

"Our perennial spiritual and psychological task is to look at things familiar until they become unfamiliar again."
--G. K. Chesterton

Patty
Immortal

Sep 24 2013, 1:59am

Post #9 of 32 (142 views)
Shortcut
No. I appreciate the warning. [In reply to] Can't Post

This sounds definitely like Netflix and not a purchase. Thanks.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Sep 24 2013, 2:19am

Post #10 of 32 (147 views)
Shortcut
Do you have to finish the movie to count? [In reply to] Can't Post

The family (i.e., younger siblings) picked National Treasure 2. (I wanted to watch AUJ, predictably. Angelic) I still don't understand how finding the city of gold clears his ancestor's name, why a revelation about a random treasure-hunter's genealogy would be front-page news, why the president would pardon him, how on EARTH a pre-Columbian Middle-American society built an underground city of gold in the Dakotas (geography: *failed*), and why Mitch or what's his name thought he had to threaten and blackmail Ben into treasure-hunting. It's not like you could have turned up and said, "Hey, I have a clue, let's go looking!" Gah.

Oh, and the fact that he's Southern and evil annoys me since people from the South of America are always portrayed so stereotypically and negatively in modern media. Needless to say, I'm from there and I know nobody like that... Crazy

Surprise, surprise, I got kicked out of the room about halfway through for snarking at it. Shocked Laugh

...Am thinking the original was better, since it had Boromir in it... Angelic

Anyway, sorry for ranting. Me and movie (il)logic don't have a good relationship...

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Meneldor
Grey Havens

Sep 24 2013, 4:31am

Post #11 of 32 (133 views)
Shortcut
Ben-Hur [In reply to] Can't Post

It is EPIC!!! First time I ever sat down and watched it; I was always put off by the 3+ hour run time. Great acting, good writing and directing, compelling story, awesome action. The galley battle managed to be exciting and scary even though the miniature galleys were thoroughly unconvincing, and the chariot race... Wow. Those stunt men earned their paychecks the hard way. The theology was lightweight, but real. The only thing missing was a gladiator battle in the arena.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Old Toby
Gondor

Sep 24 2013, 5:08am

Post #12 of 32 (125 views)
Shortcut
I'm old enough to remember seeing Ben Hur on screen [In reply to] Can't Post

although I was very young at the time (cough cough). And you betcha it was EPIC! Those were the days without CGI and the special effects we have nowdays, so everything was done pretty much for real, or as real as possible. When they said a cast of thousands they meant it! And that chariot race...I don't think they'd be able to get away with doing it like they did because the organizations that oversee animal handling on films today wouldn't allow it. But it was incredible, wasn't it? I know I sound like an old geezer (and maybe I am...but a female one. So I would be an old geezette?), but without the technology to fill the movie with special effects, they had to actually fill it with...oh, maybe a good story? (snirt!)

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

cats16
Tol Eressea

Sep 24 2013, 6:01am

Post #13 of 32 (123 views)
Shortcut
Glad to hear you enjoyed it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I never tire from watching Ben-Hur. Once the overture comes on, I'm glued to the screen.

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 24 2013, 8:38am

Post #14 of 32 (130 views)
Shortcut
Ben Hur is a film I will never see [In reply to] Can't Post

The level of cruelty to horses in that film makes it a no go for me.

Trixie Hobbit
The Shire

Sep 24 2013, 10:58am

Post #15 of 32 (133 views)
Shortcut
Ben Hur 1959 may be all right [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been searching the internet for cases of animal cruelty in the 1959 version of Ben Hur, and I can't find any.

I did learn that in the 1923 version, possibly hundreds of horses were killed, and that indeed is such a tragedy. There is even some controversy about animal cruelty concerning Peter Jackson's Hobbit films, though those incidents took place where the animals were being lodged for filming, not during actual filming.

However, I think it would be all right for you to watch the 1959 version. My husband and I saw a video on Turner Classic Movies right after watching Ben Hur detailing how the horses were trained for the chariot race, and it was absolutely fascinating.

Did you find cases of animal cruelty for the 1959 version of Ben Hur?

Patty
Immortal

Sep 24 2013, 1:14pm

Post #16 of 32 (96 views)
Shortcut
It is indeed an awesome flick... [In reply to] Can't Post

and the blu-ray version makes it a pleasure to behold.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Sep 24 2013, 2:57pm

Post #17 of 32 (96 views)
Shortcut
I saw it once [In reply to] Can't Post

and I thought it was amazing. I've always wanted to watch it again, but the rest of the family didn't seem to care for it and certainly hasn't been inclined to sit down and watch it. Too long for them, or something. (What, and a LOTR marathon is shorter?) And this is the same family that has watched The Ten Commandments at least three times. Go figure.

The chariot race was actually the best part. I don't know about any cruelty to animals in this version of Ben-Hur, but I know in an earlier version - don't ask me which - the stunt drivers were racing for an actual prize and men and animals both were killed, if I recall correctly. Unsure An attempt at realism taken too far.

Of course, I had read the book, and I was still in my dogmatic teens, so I spent the whole time comparing the two, which probably didn't help my family understand it. I was rather relieved that Messala was killed off earlier and the whole subplot with Balthasar's daughter was removed. If I want a love triangle, I'll go watch the film adaptation of any modern book geered towards teens. Grr.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 24 2013, 5:41pm

Post #18 of 32 (88 views)
Shortcut
Correction [In reply to] Can't Post

I was indeed referring to the 1923 version, although I didn't know it, as I had got the two mixed up.
Apologies for my confusion!

I have seen clips of the 1959 version, and it's enough to tell me that I don't want to see any more. Although it is helpful to read that the chariot race was indeed carefully planned and managed, I still find that kind of scene horrible to watch, as it goes beyond my comfort level.

Quite an interesting overview of treatment of animals (particularly horses) in films here.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 24 2013, 6:10pm

Post #19 of 32 (84 views)
Shortcut
New Acquisitions! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just today, between my wife and myself, we've picked up Iron Man 3 and the first season of Hannibal. Comments to follow.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

sherlock
Gondor

Sep 24 2013, 6:18pm

Post #20 of 32 (85 views)
Shortcut
Luther [In reply to] Can't Post

Season 2. I watched season 1 a while ago and really liked it but then I kind of forgot about it until I heard Season 3 is coming out. Couldn't remember if I'd seen 2 but I hadn't. It's a about a murder detective in London and stars Idris Elba. I'd reccomend it to fans of Sherlock.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 24 2013, 7:09pm

Post #21 of 32 (74 views)
Shortcut
I loved it, but I wasn't expecting much [In reply to] Can't Post

so maybe that's why my experience was better. I expected a silly satire of Jane Austen fans, and that's exactly what I got. I thought the cast was excellent and the Austen references were great.

Whether or not you see it in the theater or later on at home depends on how you like to watch movies. I personally love the experience of seeing something in a theater with lots of people, but not everyone does. You'll lose nothing by seeing it at home.

Patty
Immortal

Sep 24 2013, 7:46pm

Post #22 of 32 (74 views)
Shortcut
For the most part, what I use as a deciding factor about whether I go to the theater or not… [In reply to] Can't Post

Is whether a movie is pretty much just interpersonal relationships, which I always watch at home, or if it is spectacle.

My husband and I were watching the new Star Trek movie at home, after we had seen it at the theater. My first comment after watching about a half an hour of it was that this was definitely a big IMAX screen movie. I enjoyed it watching it at home, but I remember the theater experience as much more epic.

Austenland, sounds like something I can watch at home and it won't lose much.

(This post was edited by Patty on Sep 24 2013, 7:47pm)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 24 2013, 11:57pm

Post #23 of 32 (69 views)
Shortcut
Agree. But I hope you like it! [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a moment with the main character that made me literally laugh out loud, in the theater. There are some funny parallels to some of the LOTR fans I know. Wink

Patty
Immortal

Sep 25 2013, 1:24am

Post #24 of 32 (58 views)
Shortcut
Thanks. I definitely intend to give it a try./ [In reply to] Can't Post

Pazeer
Rivendell

Sep 25 2013, 12:57pm

Post #25 of 32 (53 views)
Shortcut
Breaking Bad and Sherlock [In reply to] Can't Post

Breaking Bad - Started watching a couple of weeks ago, and now I´m finally up to date with the show. Waiting for the last episode is torture! It might be cliché to say, but WOW what a show. The acting, the story, the editing, everything is just perfect! The best series I´ve ever watched (even though Supernatural is my personal favorite Smile) 10/10

Sherlock - Figured I should give this series a try before DoS hits the theater, and I was not disappointed! The acting and chemistry between Cumberbatch and Freeman is great! Really smart and well written show. 10/10

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.