Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
James Nesbitt says his daughters will play Bard's daughters

demnation
Rohan

Sep 24 2013, 9:42pm

Post #1 of 25 (1185 views)
Shortcut
James Nesbitt says his daughters will play Bard's daughters Can't Post

I thought this was fascinating

http://middleearthnews.com/...lay-bards-daughters/

Just what do PJ and Co have planned for Bard and his (apparently large) family?

"In the beginning the Universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 24 2013, 10:46pm

Post #2 of 25 (613 views)
Shortcut
Nepotism is hardly fascinating [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope their roles are non-speaking parts, cameos. Cameos are tolerable because you don't even notice a kid if you blink (it isn't like Serkis kids or Jackson kids,etc stole the breakout role from someone) but real roles going to kids of cast members is unfair to real child actors.

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Tauriel saved us from Itaril. Never forget.

demnation
Rohan

Sep 24 2013, 11:02pm

Post #3 of 25 (578 views)
Shortcut
I meant from a potential story line perspective [In reply to] Can't Post

As far as nepotism is concerned, Peter Jackson can put his Great Aunt's second cousin in the movie for all I care.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

(This post was edited by demnation on Sep 24 2013, 11:03pm)

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Sep 24 2013, 11:06pm

Post #4 of 25 (551 views)
Shortcut
hahahaha [In reply to] Can't Post

LOLoneTongue

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 24 2013, 11:10pm

Post #5 of 25 (569 views)
Shortcut
One is 16, good luck with trying to take roles from Chloe Moretz and Hailee Steinfeld [In reply to] Can't Post

and another is 12, good luck with trying to steal roles from Joey King. Just sayin. Building a resume is very important so when someone gets a shot just because of mom and dad that's just like any regular job you apply for and someone kid gets because he/she can, not because they are better.

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 24 2013, 11:14pm

Post #6 of 25 (551 views)
Shortcut
to his credit he never put his kids in more than blink-or-you'll miss them cameo [In reply to] Can't Post

and same should apply to 2 Misses Nesbitt. Personally, I'd rather watch Flynn Bloom and Kahekili Kali (Evie's son) as Bard's children.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 24 2013, 11:58pm

Post #7 of 25 (534 views)
Shortcut
It's never Fair to attack Families... [In reply to] Can't Post

no doubt there are many
staff members in the Background...
WE even have a TORn member
who got to be in the shot..

Just before Aragorn kissed Arwen (ROTK)

...are you upset she made it into the Film?

Bomby

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Sep 25 2013, 12:00am)

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Sep 25 2013, 12:27am

Post #8 of 25 (504 views)
Shortcut
Wouldn't putting Bloom or Lilly's kids be the same thing? [In reply to] Can't Post

They're working on the film, if their kids get cameos, that's also considered nepotism. Whether it be Nesbitt's, Serkis', Jackson, Bloom or Lilly's. It would be the same thing.

Patty
Immortal

Sep 25 2013, 1:36am

Post #9 of 25 (474 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I think Phillipa Boyens' son did a great job in TTT... [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'm glad he was in the role even though this was nepotism. He bought a innocence to the subplot about the unqualified young boys having to go to war that was at the heart of the Helm's Deep story. Well done.

Permanent address: Into the West

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 25 2013, 1:57am

Post #10 of 25 (462 views)
Shortcut
True Ziggy [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
They're working on the film, if their kids get cameos, that's also considered nepotism. Whether it be Nesbitt's, Serkis', Jackson, Bloom or Lilly's. It would be the same thing.

Maybe I'm looking at it from the human perspective but I think its great that the actors can share this with their families, particularly children. No matter who it is.

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 25 2013, 7:32am

Post #11 of 25 (370 views)
Shortcut
What makes you think he hasn't? [In reply to] Can't Post

Only teasing - I agree with you completely. I can't see that it matters who the child actor is, providing he/she is capable of doing what's asked of them.

And the storyline is far more interesting. They seem to be writing Bard as a family man, which gives him much more of a stake in the future of Laketown. There has also been talk of fathers and sons being one of the themes of DOS. And of Tauriel healing a little girl - who may perhaps be one of Bard's daughters. But none of that is any more than talk so far.

DeadRabbits
Lorien

Sep 25 2013, 7:48am

Post #12 of 25 (356 views)
Shortcut
I think it is in fact Bard's daughter who's being healed by Tauriel [In reply to] Can't Post

According to DOS Annual (?) Bard's daughters are named Sigrid and Tilda, and according to some other source (can't remember - could it be Empire) Tauriel is supposed to heal a little girl named Tilda.

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 25 2013, 8:24am

Post #13 of 25 (348 views)
Shortcut
I think this is very likely. Though ... [In reply to] Can't Post

The EMPIRE article only says:

[.] Tauriel - a young Silvn elf - resuscitated a dying human girl with a liquid burst of elvish [.]

Rather than referencing Tilda (or Sigrid) directly. It seems almost certain it will be one of the two. We know Tauriel will be in Laketown, along with a band of Orcs. Perhaps one of them is injured even before Smaug attacks?

DeadRabbits
Lorien

Sep 25 2013, 8:36am

Post #14 of 25 (339 views)
Shortcut
You're right, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I'm almost positive that the girl's name is Tilda. I know I've read it somewhere, but can't quite remember the source - it could be the translation of an article from a German movie magazine that was floating around a couple of months ago. Can anyone with a better memory than me straighten this out?

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

boldog
Rohan

Sep 25 2013, 9:40am

Post #15 of 25 (315 views)
Shortcut
that was from me... [In reply to] Can't Post

....you must have heard that from one of my previous posts, as I suggested that tilde may be the child whom tauriel heals

"fingolfin looked up in grief to see what evil morgoth had done to maedhros"

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 25 2013, 9:42am

Post #16 of 25 (313 views)
Shortcut
The names are in the Annual/Almanac, just not in the EMPIRE magazine article. :-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 25 2013, 10:49am

Post #17 of 25 (299 views)
Shortcut
Not the same for babies [In reply to] Can't Post

for they can't work long so technically they would be just cameos. I've nothing against cameos.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 25 2013, 11:03am

Post #18 of 25 (298 views)
Shortcut
I'm not attacking families, I'm attacking nepotism [In reply to] Can't Post

It's funny that nepotism is fair game for criticism for all jobs except industry ones. That's where fans come to defense of celebrity's kids who jump the line. Just because one likes so-and-so celebrity, it doesn't mean that putting their kids in significant roles is OK. Yes, they have the power to do it but it doesn't mean it's right.

Look, I'm sorry that I replied to OP at all. My issue isn't with Nesbitt family but nepotism in general, and the reason I singled out this situation is because, unlike usual cameos by family members of LOTR/Hobbit cast and crew, these roles strike me as bigger, real roles. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe those roles are nothing. IMO there's a difference between blink-or-you'll-miss-them cameos and something you can put on your resume and jump over actors who are fighting for a chance to get experience. I link it to real life. You need experience to get a job and someone doesn't even have to break a sweat because they have an inside help. So I'm sorry for not being sympathetic or happy for kids who get real parts in their parent's movies.

(This post was edited by Semper Fi on Sep 25 2013, 11:06am)

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 25 2013, 12:18pm

Post #19 of 25 (280 views)
Shortcut
Is this really an issue? [In reply to] Can't Post

I just don't see whats the point of getting ones knickers in a twist over. Its an nothing issue. Its at most a few minute roll in a movie. If we're talking about a regular everyday job then its worth getting upset over.

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 25 2013, 12:20pm

Post #20 of 25 (271 views)
Shortcut
I see that now and I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I overreacted. My apology.

tolktolk
Lorien

Sep 25 2013, 2:13pm

Post #21 of 25 (238 views)
Shortcut
The funny thing is... [In reply to] Can't Post

Those girls really didn't want to leave London and go to New Zealand - Jimmy Nesbitt tells a funny story about them sobbing for hours after he told them, and then using the opportunity to blackmail him into buying a puppy!

Incidentally, I noticed some of the cast (including Evangeline Lilly and Luke Evans) have been wishing the older girl a happy birthday on Twitter and saying they are looking forward to seeing each other, which I think is further evidence the publicity tour is about to get underway.

Noria
Rohan

Sep 25 2013, 2:26pm

Post #22 of 25 (234 views)
Shortcut
It was take your kids to work day on The Hobbit! [In reply to] Can't Post

The LotR and The Hobbit movies seemed to have meant a lot to the people who worked on them, either in front of the camera or behind the scenes. I think its sweet that they want their children to share in something so important to them.

LotR must have hung over the early childhoods of PJs kids like a cloud (hopefully a fluffy white one). Though they probably hardly remember their roles, I hope they enjoy looking at the movies and seeing themselves as part of it all.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 25 2013, 2:35pm

Post #23 of 25 (239 views)
Shortcut
I don't necessarily mind Bard being given three children [In reply to] Can't Post

We know that he sired children sooner or later. I just hope that his wife either shows up or (if she is dead) that her absence is explained.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 25 2013, 3:55pm

Post #24 of 25 (228 views)
Shortcut
Going by Evans and Nesbitt&Bell kids age [In reply to] Can't Post

he is 34, oldest girl is 16, boy is 13 and youngest girl is 12. So Bard would've had his first child at 18 which is perfectly accurate for Medieval setting. I'm always annoyed when they cast actors who are way too old for that period, like 30something actress playing unwed maiden waiting for prince charming who is also too old to be unmarried.

This is a reason why I'm dreading new Star Wars. It takes place 30 years after events in ROTK and Ford, Fisher and Hamill are in their 70s and 60s respectively but at least daughter of Han and Leia is expected to be a teenager going by the casting call and actresses who read for the part (Saorse Ronan - 19 - funny how that one is popping up on every big franchise list - Hobbit, The Avengers 2, Star Wars). So that kind of doesn't really work, such young girl for 70+ Han.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Sep 26 2013, 12:13am

Post #25 of 25 (150 views)
Shortcut
How is it not the same? [In reply to] Can't Post

What if the kids of the other actors/personnel working on the film get a cameo, and they're not babies? What if they're like 8? Even then, they don't necessarily work long.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.