Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Links to performance of All Hail Tolkienia, the Tolkienia anthem (both versions)

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Sep 24 2013, 5:10pm

Post #1 of 23 (390 views)
Shortcut
Links to performance of All Hail Tolkienia, the Tolkienia anthem (both versions) Can't Post

Hi all! For the past few weeks or so I have been working on recording a performance of All Hail to Tolkienia, Tolkienia's National Anthem. Ethel Duath has asked me to post what I have come up with. This thread is specifically for presenting, and inviting feedback on, my performance of the anthem, Ethel Duath has a moment ago already posted a separate, general Tolkienia unveiling thread for other Tolkienia-related topics.

For some background, this all started with Ethel Duath's ideas posted in her thread
here.

The idea of Tolkienia, for those who require catching up, draws inspiration from an actual place in the UK known as South Woodham Ferrers, which happens to feature streets and landmarks named after people and places of Middle-earth.

The final product linked below features lyrics contributed by Brethil, DanielLB, Ethel Duath, myself, sineldor, and TheGreyElf, as well as some Tolkien.

I have performed and recorded the anthem in two versions, a shorter "Theatrical" version for singing along, and a "Special Extended Edition" version .

The anthem is performed to the tune of Flanders and Swann's The Armadillo, with some Howard Shore/LOTR soundtrack motifs thrown in, especially in the Special Extended Edition version.

The music and vocals for both versions were arranged by yours truly, based on the Flanders and Swann performance as linked above. The shorter version features piano, vocals, and whistling. The longer version features the same, plus keyboard-voiced trumpet, strings, and flute.

The piano and other instrument voices were generated via the app Garage Band, performed via digital piano. The vocals and whistling were picked up for recording using the Mac’s built-in microphone. Recording and editing was done using the app Garage Band.

The reason for the longer version was to include additional motifs from Howard Shore’s LOTR soundtrack to represent all four kindreds of the Free Peoples: Elves, Hobbits, Men, and Dwarves, three out of four of which were missing from the shorter version. The shorter version, however, comes closer to capturing the tone of Ethel Duath’s original concept for the anthem and is better suited for singing along.

The final arrangement lyrics:

All Hail, Tolkienia!

Main Chorus (Ethel Duath)

All Hail to Tolkienia,
Let us all proclaim our love,
Of our glorious suburban banks and braes.
Here, just south a bit from Chelmsford,
Tooks play golf upon the greensward;
All hail to Tolkenia, thee we praise!

Verse 1 (Ethel Duath)

Here in South Woodham Ferrers we are safe from changeling bears,
As we amble past the trees of Arwen's Grove.
We pick up a lunch at Curlew's, sail off from Eyotts club,
To navigate the falls of Dimrill Stairs.

Verse 2 (Brethil)

We do truly love our vittles well, in our little Tolkien town.
Warm fresh bread and ale, and apples do abound.
We all enjoy our tasty fishes, fresh from the stream.
With Gard'ners and their 'taters held in high esteem!

Main Chorus

Verse 3 (The Grey Elf)

Gallant heroes travel with us, as we explore Tolkienia
From homey hearths to unknown vistas far
Each dawn brings discovery, for the roads go on and on
Beckoning our doors to ever rest ajar.

Verse 4 (DanielLB)

In our gracious Tolkienia
We do not shout "Ere! Oo are you?"
We greet each other with warm hugs
Around our big barbecue

Verse 5 (Ethel Duath)

Drawn by its mellow byways,
We meander on our bikes,
To discover nooks and crannies
Or adventure that We likes (Precious).

Chorus (whistle solo)

Verse 6 (Brethil)

The end of day is a special time, in our little Tolkien town
In our Fellowship, a hum of happy sound.
At dusk we stand together, beneath the darkening sky,
All eyes on heaven as Eärendil glimmers by.

Verse 7 (sineldor)

There is one by name of Tolkien,
With his heart the world adorned.
A spirit of his kind, unique,
Among all authors born.

Verse 8 (sineldor)

Profound, entwining meaning,
summoned by simple call of horn.
In Middle-earth, all led as one
By humble ranger, Aragorn.

Bridge (Ruxendil_Thoorg)

Then we saw it in Crickhollow and in winding Shirebourn Vale,
Some Ferrers folk were singing A Elbereth Gilthoniel!

(A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel!)

Shall we join in lifting voices to good Varda high above?

(o menel aglar elenath
Na-chaered palan-díriel!)

Shall we praise the Legendarium, the object of our love?

Verse 9 (Ruxendil_Thoorg)

We join the chorus singing,
Circling Gandalf’s Ride’s detour,
Ever knowing of one truth:
We adore our Professor’s lore!

Alternate Chorus (Ruxendil_Thoorg)

On the breeze that follows sunset
We can hear the bright refrain,
Hail Tolkienia! Tolkienia! Hooray! (hip hip hooray!)
Hail the world-inventing dreamer
O Eärendil Elenion Ancalima!
All hail to Tolkienia, thee we praise!
All hail to Tolkienia, thee we praise!

I surely hope you like at least one of the versions, and if you prefer one over the other, I'd be interested in knowing the reasons. Thanks for listening and reading!

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 24 2013, 5:30pm

Post #2 of 23 (168 views)
Shortcut
I LOVE it! [In reply to] Can't Post

You've done an awesome job. Laugh

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 24 2013, 5:40pm

Post #3 of 23 (167 views)
Shortcut
(**applause**) [In reply to] Can't Post

You put this together just beautifully Rux!!!!!!!!!

I now have a new tune to hum!

SmileSmileAngelicAngelicSmileSmileHeartHeart

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Sep 24 2013, 6:04pm

Post #4 of 23 (165 views)
Shortcut
Woo-Hooo! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Two home runs!

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 25 2013, 12:23am

Post #5 of 23 (155 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just Awesome!

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Sep 25 2013, 2:03am

Post #6 of 23 (144 views)
Shortcut
Sincere thanks :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

for that and for your lyrics contribution, DanielLB! I hope I did justice to your "Ere! 'Oo Are you?" bit! Blush

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Sep 25 2013, 2:07am

Post #7 of 23 (144 views)
Shortcut
*bow* [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks so much Brethil! for that and for your two verses of lyrics, they were both fun to sing...for me and for my "backup chorus" WinkSmile

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Sep 25 2013, 2:13am

Post #8 of 23 (143 views)
Shortcut
Thanks coach! [In reply to] Can't Post

for giving me a swing at the ball (actually more like six or was it seven?Laugh), and for the inspiration, leadership, consultation on the music/lyrics arrangement and feedback on the recording (i.e. for not being too brutal/critical, obviously practicing tremendous restraint Wink), your lyrics, which set the tone for everybody else's lyrics, your choice of source song ... *deep breath*... the list just goes on! CoolSmile

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Sep 25 2013, 2:15am

Post #9 of 23 (151 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

for that--you are too kind!-- and for providing inspiration for this whole thingSmile

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 25 2013, 2:48am

Post #10 of 23 (137 views)
Shortcut
Its a lot of fun to actually hear it all!!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Sep 25 2013, 1:43pm

Post #11 of 23 (131 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! But that's too much credit. You did the actual work, [In reply to] Can't Post

and the final, fabulous stanzas!

The elf-songs still give me chills.Smile

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Sep 25 2013, 2:32pm

Post #12 of 23 (135 views)
Shortcut
Sooooo beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was alternately smiling and blinking away tears as I listened to both of these. They are truly magnificent! You did an excellent job with them! Heart Smile I think I may prefer the extended version since I could discern more of the themes of the various races therein, but both are exquisite. I especially loved the 'A Elbereth Gilthoniel' part - it reminded me of Gregorian chant, which I find so beautiful and haunting. In my opinion, the resemblance was well done.

*goes off to listen again*

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 25 2013, 4:17pm

Post #13 of 23 (126 views)
Shortcut
It's my favourite part! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been humming the tune all day. Evil

elaen32
Gondor

Sep 25 2013, 9:57pm

Post #14 of 23 (118 views)
Shortcut
Brilliant!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well done Rux! And all the wordsmiths too!

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Sep 25 2013, 10:11pm

Post #15 of 23 (114 views)
Shortcut
*huge smile/blush* [In reply to] Can't Post

Werde Spinner, I'm so touched you felt that way about it! Thanks so much! Heart

I'm glad that one part reminded you of Gregorian chant, I was going for just that (since I can't quite pull off Elizabeth Frazier, lol! Evil)

Also glad you were able to discern the themes of the kindreds in the extended. I especially enjoyed borrowing and playing with those from the Maestro for this project.

Just curious, did you find the part with the Dwarves' theme? not sure how recognizable it was. The other ones were more obvious, probably.

Thanks again!

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Sep 25 2013, 10:20pm

Post #16 of 23 (111 views)
Shortcut
Yesss! *fist pump* I'm glad :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Sep 26 2013, 12:45am

Post #17 of 23 (111 views)
Shortcut
Thank you elaen32 :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 26 2013, 10:20am

Post #18 of 23 (114 views)
Shortcut
I can't decide! [In reply to] Can't Post

Preferring one over the other? I love them both! Laugh

But I suppose I'd best listen to them each a few more times...Wink

Amazing what you've done with this, Rux, it's such a long song to piece together (and by that I mean, get the instrumentation just right), and of course, you've got a great voice for singing it! Smile

Thank you and *hugs*!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Sep 26 2013, 12:46pm

Post #19 of 23 (107 views)
Shortcut
*hugs* back, dernwyn :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad you felt that way, thanks so much! Smile

I don't currently have anyone teaching or coaching me on music performance or singing, so I rely on listener's feedback and support whenever I can get it. It really means a lot to me to have yours and that of other members here.Evil

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Sep 27 2013, 12:34am

Post #20 of 23 (105 views)
Shortcut
I had a bit more trouble discerning the Dwarf theme, yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

but, hey, trying to catch it gives me an excuse to listen to it again and again, right? I haven't gotten tired of listening to it yet. Smile I'm glad to see that your attempt at Gregorian-chant style turned out so well and that all the themes came together in such a unified-sounding whole.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Sep 27 2013, 12:30pm

Post #21 of 23 (105 views)
Shortcut
I'm tempted to tell you [In reply to] Can't Post

where to find the Dwarf bit but I am restraining myself. Angelic If you still have trouble, let me know, I'll PM you the answer, or a hint as you might prefer.

I'm so glad you're still listening to it! Thanks again Smile

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Sep 27 2013, 2:37pm

Post #22 of 23 (94 views)
Shortcut
Okay, I'm gonna take a stab at it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Are the chords I can hear after the words 'Dimrill Stairs' any part of the Dwarf theme? Because when I hear those words, it brings the Battle of Azanulbizar to mind, and that's the most appropriate place for a Dwarf theme, that I can think of. Am I right, or should I listen to it a few more times? Laugh Angelic

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Sep 27 2013, 3:36pm

Post #23 of 23 (180 views)
Shortcut
The descending chords immediately following "Dimrill Stairs".... [In reply to] Can't Post

...are not the notes you're looking for (whoops sorry, wrong franchise!)

Those chords are supposed to be from the Flanders & Swann original (although but a mere imitation, not the real thing. I strongly suspect the original chords have more notes in them.). Its resemblance to anything Dwarvish, or anything from Shore's soundtrack to LOTR or TH, is but an unintended but happy coincidence (which I will be sure to listen for next time I get the chance).

I'd be thrilled if you tried a few more times, but if you decide you need a hint or the answer, I'll be happy to PM to you. Well, ok here's a free hint. I would suggest listening to both versions for comparison, if you're so inclined, and see... I mean hear... where they differ. I sincerely hope you find it! Evil

BTW your idea of putting Dwarf music at the Dimrill Stairs bit is brilliant, I wish I'd thought of that! Heart

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.