Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Links to performance of All Hail Tolkienia, the Tolkienia anthem (both versions)

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Sep 24 2013, 5:10pm

Views: 270
Shortcut
Links to performance of All Hail Tolkienia, the Tolkienia anthem (both versions) Can't Post

Hi all! For the past few weeks or so I have been working on recording a performance of All Hail to Tolkienia, Tolkienia's National Anthem. Ethel Duath has asked me to post what I have come up with. This thread is specifically for presenting, and inviting feedback on, my performance of the anthem, Ethel Duath has a moment ago already posted a separate, general Tolkienia unveiling thread for other Tolkienia-related topics.

For some background, this all started with Ethel Duath's ideas posted in her thread
here.

The idea of Tolkienia, for those who require catching up, draws inspiration from an actual place in the UK known as South Woodham Ferrers, which happens to feature streets and landmarks named after people and places of Middle-earth.

The final product linked below features lyrics contributed by Brethil, DanielLB, Ethel Duath, myself, sineldor, and TheGreyElf, as well as some Tolkien.

I have performed and recorded the anthem in two versions, a shorter "Theatrical" version for singing along, and a "Special Extended Edition" version .

The anthem is performed to the tune of Flanders and Swann's The Armadillo, with some Howard Shore/LOTR soundtrack motifs thrown in, especially in the Special Extended Edition version.

The music and vocals for both versions were arranged by yours truly, based on the Flanders and Swann performance as linked above. The shorter version features piano, vocals, and whistling. The longer version features the same, plus keyboard-voiced trumpet, strings, and flute.

The piano and other instrument voices were generated via the app Garage Band, performed via digital piano. The vocals and whistling were picked up for recording using the Mac’s built-in microphone. Recording and editing was done using the app Garage Band.

The reason for the longer version was to include additional motifs from Howard Shore’s LOTR soundtrack to represent all four kindreds of the Free Peoples: Elves, Hobbits, Men, and Dwarves, three out of four of which were missing from the shorter version. The shorter version, however, comes closer to capturing the tone of Ethel Duath’s original concept for the anthem and is better suited for singing along.

The final arrangement lyrics:

All Hail, Tolkienia!

Main Chorus (Ethel Duath)

All Hail to Tolkienia,
Let us all proclaim our love,
Of our glorious suburban banks and braes.
Here, just south a bit from Chelmsford,
Tooks play golf upon the greensward;
All hail to Tolkenia, thee we praise!

Verse 1 (Ethel Duath)

Here in South Woodham Ferrers we are safe from changeling bears,
As we amble past the trees of Arwen's Grove.
We pick up a lunch at Curlew's, sail off from Eyotts club,
To navigate the falls of Dimrill Stairs.

Verse 2 (Brethil)

We do truly love our vittles well, in our little Tolkien town.
Warm fresh bread and ale, and apples do abound.
We all enjoy our tasty fishes, fresh from the stream.
With Gard'ners and their 'taters held in high esteem!

Main Chorus

Verse 3 (The Grey Elf)

Gallant heroes travel with us, as we explore Tolkienia
From homey hearths to unknown vistas far
Each dawn brings discovery, for the roads go on and on
Beckoning our doors to ever rest ajar.

Verse 4 (DanielLB)

In our gracious Tolkienia
We do not shout "Ere! Oo are you?"
We greet each other with warm hugs
Around our big barbecue

Verse 5 (Ethel Duath)

Drawn by its mellow byways,
We meander on our bikes,
To discover nooks and crannies
Or adventure that We likes (Precious).

Chorus (whistle solo)

Verse 6 (Brethil)

The end of day is a special time, in our little Tolkien town
In our Fellowship, a hum of happy sound.
At dusk we stand together, beneath the darkening sky,
All eyes on heaven as Eärendil glimmers by.

Verse 7 (sineldor)

There is one by name of Tolkien,
With his heart the world adorned.
A spirit of his kind, unique,
Among all authors born.

Verse 8 (sineldor)

Profound, entwining meaning,
summoned by simple call of horn.
In Middle-earth, all led as one
By humble ranger, Aragorn.

Bridge (Ruxendil_Thoorg)

Then we saw it in Crickhollow and in winding Shirebourn Vale,
Some Ferrers folk were singing A Elbereth Gilthoniel!

(A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel!)

Shall we join in lifting voices to good Varda high above?

(o menel aglar elenath
Na-chaered palan-díriel!)

Shall we praise the Legendarium, the object of our love?

Verse 9 (Ruxendil_Thoorg)

We join the chorus singing,
Circling Gandalf’s Ride’s detour,
Ever knowing of one truth:
We adore our Professor’s lore!

Alternate Chorus (Ruxendil_Thoorg)

On the breeze that follows sunset
We can hear the bright refrain,
Hail Tolkienia! Tolkienia! Hooray! (hip hip hooray!)
Hail the world-inventing dreamer
O Eärendil Elenion Ancalima!
All hail to Tolkienia, thee we praise!
All hail to Tolkienia, thee we praise!

I surely hope you like at least one of the versions, and if you prefer one over the other, I'd be interested in knowing the reasons. Thanks for listening and reading!

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

Subject User Time
Links to performance of All Hail Tolkienia, the Tolkienia anthem (both versions) Ruxendil_Thoorg Send a private message to Ruxendil_Thoorg Sep 24 2013, 5:10pm
    I LOVE it! DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Sep 24 2013, 5:30pm
        Sincere thanks :-) Ruxendil_Thoorg Send a private message to Ruxendil_Thoorg Sep 25 2013, 2:03am
            It's my favourite part! DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Sep 25 2013, 4:17pm
                Yesss! *fist pump* I'm glad :-) // Ruxendil_Thoorg Send a private message to Ruxendil_Thoorg Sep 25 2013, 10:20pm
    (**applause**) Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Sep 24 2013, 5:40pm
        *bow* Ruxendil_Thoorg Send a private message to Ruxendil_Thoorg Sep 25 2013, 2:07am
            Its a lot of fun to actually hear it all!!!! // Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Sep 25 2013, 2:48am
    Woo-Hooo! :D Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Sep 24 2013, 6:04pm
        Thanks coach! Ruxendil_Thoorg Send a private message to Ruxendil_Thoorg Sep 25 2013, 2:13am
            Thank you! But that's too much credit. You did the actual work, Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Sep 25 2013, 1:43pm
    Awesome! Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Sep 25 2013, 12:23am
        Thank you! Ruxendil_Thoorg Send a private message to Ruxendil_Thoorg Sep 25 2013, 2:15am
    Sooooo beautiful! Werde Spinner Send a private message to Werde Spinner Sep 25 2013, 2:32pm
        *huge smile/blush* Ruxendil_Thoorg Send a private message to Ruxendil_Thoorg Sep 25 2013, 10:11pm
            I had a bit more trouble discerning the Dwarf theme, yes, Werde Spinner Send a private message to Werde Spinner Sep 27 2013, 12:34am
                I'm tempted to tell you Ruxendil_Thoorg Send a private message to Ruxendil_Thoorg Sep 27 2013, 12:30pm
                    Okay, I'm gonna take a stab at it. Werde Spinner Send a private message to Werde Spinner Sep 27 2013, 2:37pm
                        The descending chords immediately following "Dimrill Stairs".... Ruxendil_Thoorg Send a private message to Ruxendil_Thoorg Sep 27 2013, 3:36pm
    Brilliant!!! elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Sep 25 2013, 9:57pm
        Thank you elaen32 :-) // Ruxendil_Thoorg Send a private message to Ruxendil_Thoorg Sep 26 2013, 12:45am
    I can't decide! dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Sep 26 2013, 10:20am
        *hugs* back, dernwyn :) Ruxendil_Thoorg Send a private message to Ruxendil_Thoorg Sep 26 2013, 12:46pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.