Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Friday???... Fiesta!!!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2013, 10:46pm

Post #51 of 75 (137 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, Daniel [In reply to] Can't Post

The Indian in Indian Summer refers to American Indians. Back in the old days, they used the warm spell before winter to go attack some settlers!

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 20 2013, 11:28pm

Post #52 of 75 (127 views)
Shortcut
This is the race that never ends... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it just goes on and on my friend. Crazy

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 21 2013, 1:27am

Post #53 of 75 (120 views)
Shortcut
Yachting's version of The Neverending Story. [In reply to] Can't Post

*drums fingers*

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 21 2013, 2:00am

Post #54 of 75 (118 views)
Shortcut
You need a diversion [In reply to] Can't Post

There are plenty of thrilling stories to keep you occupied as the time passes until the next race. Why not follow Liz Hurley and Shane Warne's 'crisis talks'. Or, if you prefer something more traditional, you could follow John Key's 'Royal Tour'.
If none of this takes your fancy, you could always check out the weather. There's bound to be a bit of it about this weekend.

Don't say I didn't try to help you through this difficult time. Angelic

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 21 2013, 2:12am

Post #55 of 75 (119 views)
Shortcut
I'm planning to go to a dream writing workshop tomorrow [In reply to] Can't Post

My little sister is teaching it: link. My daughter plans to go with me. The one last week was cancelled due to flooding, when my sister was trapped in her neighborhood. But the local streets in Boulder are drying out, even though the canyons are still impassable.

I've been glued to the news all week. I've been very lucky that our house is on high ground, and so is my workplace, and so is the highway I take to get to work. But that highway is closed east of my work and west of my house, so I've been feeling a bit like I'm living on an island.

In fact, looking at a map, I realized that I am almost on an island, The rivers north and south of me come together east of Greeley, and have their headwaters within a mile of each other high up on the Continental Divide to the west. So when the north-south bridges were out, I really couldn't get out of my local area. There was one day we went to buy gas and the station was out because the supply trucks hadn't been able to get in.

And of course the mountains are pretty inaccessible right now, so who knows when I'll get back. A minor matter compared to all the suffering other people are going through, but I'm still feeling it. I want to get up to Estes and support the local businesses, who are using the slogan "Mountain Strong". But it's a five-hour drive now over some hairy roads, so I'm not sure when we'll get back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Sep 21 2013, 2:18am

Post #56 of 75 (115 views)
Shortcut
Sounds lovely! [In reply to] Can't Post

We were actually in a drought until last week. So I know how welcome rain can be. I'm glad you're having a sweet, slow rain.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 21 2013, 2:38am

Post #57 of 75 (111 views)
Shortcut
You're all heart, Starling! / [In reply to] Can't Post

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 21 2013, 3:33am

Post #58 of 75 (145 views)
Shortcut
In all seriousness, [In reply to] Can't Post

I am impressed with Dean Barker's stoicism.
Yesterday we had the whole school gathered to watch what we thought would be the winning race. The kids were terribly disappointed when the racing was called off. But in the middle of this there was a lovely surprise. Some of the classes had written to Team New Zealand, and a reply email came back while we were all gathered together. It was a lovely response, full of detail and answering the questions the children had asked. It definitely wasn't a 'stock' letter. The kids were thrilled, and they all felt super important.

I'm not massively into the America's Cup, but I do love to see people excited about something. When my staff asked if we could watch the racing on our interactive board, I immediately said yes. I remembered a long time ago when I was at teachers' college, a mean lecturer who wouldn't let us watch a crucial Olympic race, so we all missed out on seeing Danyon Loader win gold, and had to sit through a tedious technology lecture instead. I certainly do not want to be remembered in that way!

And what's with the 40min time limit anyway? Is it something to do with TV coverage? That would be my guess.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 21 2013, 6:09am

Post #59 of 75 (104 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it's a requirement of TV coverage. [In reply to] Can't Post

The network wants a two-hour package with two races within it - which explains why they didn't just let the first race finish and hold over the second race to the next day. *fume*

How lovely that your students got that response from the team! I bet the kids will remember that for a very long time. :)

Ataahua's stories

cats16
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2013, 6:56am

Post #60 of 75 (103 views)
Shortcut
Ooo enjoy the trip, Kim! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds wonderful. Smile

cats16
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2013, 7:00am

Post #61 of 75 (99 views)
Shortcut
Hiya, Altaira. [In reply to] Can't Post

One last calm weekend before the plunge into the overwhelming-at-times and busy Fall. Planning on enjoying good company and doing as little as possible. Cool

Stay dry there in Colorado, and I'll be thinking of you all during the stressful clean-up period.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 21 2013, 7:21am

Post #62 of 75 (105 views)
Shortcut
Ahh, I see. Thanks for the correction! [In reply to] Can't Post

There's my ignorance for you. I've googled it now. Wink

I suppose North American Summer just doesn't have the same ring to it.

sherlock
Gondor

Sep 21 2013, 1:54pm

Post #63 of 75 (93 views)
Shortcut
Going to the [In reply to] Can't Post

movies with a friend today & chores tomorrow. Will probably be spending time with my granddaughter & grand puppy at some point.

Have a great weekend all!

sherlock
Gondor

Sep 21 2013, 1:58pm

Post #64 of 75 (90 views)
Shortcut
Great pics!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 21 2013, 3:45pm

Post #65 of 75 (89 views)
Shortcut
We still have the bubbly on ice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, it's actually in the 'fridge. I bought it two days ago thinking it couldn't go on until the weekend. Crazy

Yep, that was a heart breaker for sure. We were comparing that ludicrous rule to NFL games, basketball, soccer, etc. They'd never dream of stopping a game just because the network has to move on to different programming. We'd never heard of such a thing. *fumes along with you* Mad

Most of the races have been on TV here, but not yesterday, so I was following along with the 'stuff.nz' bloggers. They were saying that for the longest time NZ TV wasn't mentioning the time limit, so everyone watching on TV there must have thought it was in the bag. Ouch.

Don't worry, they'll win today and we'll devote a sip or two to our NZ family and friends! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 21 2013, 7:45pm

Post #66 of 75 (96 views)
Shortcut
The bloggers on Stuff do a great job, don't they? [In reply to] Can't Post

I followed them for most of the last week instead of watching it on TV in the cafeteria - after the near-capsize I needed a break from the TV tension! NZherald has a similar function on their webpage too.

Just 25 more minutes and we're into the next race. I so hope Dean Barker can win this one, finally!

ETA: Ach, the first race delayed: http://www.stuff.co.nz/...t-Americas-Cup-again

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Sep 21 2013, 7:52pm)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 21 2013, 8:12pm

Post #67 of 75 (80 views)
Shortcut
We're hearing 2:00 p.m. San Francisco time [In reply to] Can't Post

It's on TV here now. We're just afraid that with an hour delay, NBC might cut off to something else before it's all over. I hope not! It will be hard enough to get around the house for the next hour with all my fingers and toes crossed.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Patty
Immortal

Sep 22 2013, 8:48pm

Post #68 of 75 (60 views)
Shortcut
Hope everyone's weekend was happy... [In reply to] Can't Post

of course I'm late. But that's just me, lately.

It's Bilbo and Frodo's birthday, and I thought today would be an appropriate time to begin my journey looking into the past of my ancestors--at least as far back as I can go, seeing as how descendants of former slaves won't be able to go back very far. I've heard some interesting family tales that I intend to research as far as I can.

I've put off upgrading the iPad to iOS 7 because I've been hearing many tales of woe. I also don't like the look of this new OS, so I may hang onto iOS 6 for a while. Any other apple users care to share their experiences I'm specifically wanting to know if you think Siri's voice recognition is any better.

I had planned also to watch LotR today, but I think that may be too much. I do have Masterpiece to watch tonight, as usual.

Happy birthday of note to all Tolkien fans!

Permanent address: Into the West

Meneldor
Grey Havens

Sep 22 2013, 10:06pm

Post #69 of 75 (58 views)
Shortcut
Saturday was great. [In reply to] Can't Post

I volunteered to help out with a church youth canoe day. Good kids and a few hours in a canoe; how can anyone not have a great day doing that? Smile

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Kim
Valinor

Sep 22 2013, 10:46pm

Post #70 of 75 (58 views)
Shortcut
thanks cats! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd say I'd have a drink for you, but I've already said that to too many people. At this rate, I'll be drinking all week and...hey wait a minute, on second thought...

Waiter!

Cool

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Sep 23 2013, 9:10am

Post #71 of 75 (74 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's understandable that someone in England would not automatically think of Indian Summer as being something particular in relation to the U.S. I do rather think the settlers looked at the warm spell with some apprehension.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 23 2013, 1:00pm

Post #72 of 75 (50 views)
Shortcut
I love this time of year. [In reply to] Can't Post

I grew up calling it Indian Summer, not understanding the history, but the combination of cool mornings, warm sunlit days and the changing leaves against a blue sky is just intoxicating. I know winter is coming, but fall is just spectacular.

cats16
Tol Eressea

Sep 23 2013, 7:56pm

Post #73 of 75 (48 views)
Shortcut
Hahaha make sure to toast to Thorin while you're there ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I'm sure you've taken care of that already. WinkCool

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Sep 24 2013, 9:54am

Post #74 of 75 (31 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I understand! [In reply to] Can't Post

We also love that last warm spell before winter closes in. It is almost magical! There is something about the color of the blue sky that just says Autumn. I don't see that color any other time.

Patty
Immortal

Sep 24 2013, 1:27pm

Post #75 of 75 (31 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it's definitely my favorite time of year... [In reply to] Can't Post

although it's when my allergies are at their worst.

I always think September is the shortest month of the year. This early Fall stage just doesn't last long enough.

Permanent address: Into the West

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.