Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Which object would you rather own?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Which object would you rather own?
A working palantir (sans burning hands)
A mallorn seed
An Elf cloak from Lothlorien
A Galadhrim bow
An Elf blade that glows blue when Orcs/telemarketers are near
The Horn of Gondor
The Phial of Galadriel
A ring of invisiblity (no promises about prior owners)
View Results (69 votes)

Superuser / Moderator

Sep 20 2013, 4:26am

Post #1 of 31 (566 views)
Which object would you rather own? Can't Post

Sep 20 2013, 4:46am

Post #2 of 31 (373 views)
Mallorn seed for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow. Right? Angelic

Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2013, 1:39pm

Post #3 of 31 (349 views)
Hard choice.... [In reply to] Can't Post

A bow or blade would be cool, but I'd get stopped a lot by 'friendly' police with questions.

So I'd say....a cloak, for sheer practicality.

A Palantir? -- we've got enough spy stuff
Mallorn seed?-- not too portable
Phial? -- I've got a few flashlights
Horn?-- too loud for practical use
Ring?-- not too much into bling(and I'd cause too much trouble)

Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2013, 4:23pm

Post #4 of 31 (350 views)
Try to contain your amazement: [In reply to] Can't Post

I chose the sword. Big surprise, huh?

Sep 20 2013, 4:35pm

Post #5 of 31 (342 views)
cloak [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems the most useful. I mean, a bow would be cool but when would I use it? They won't let me in Target with it slung over my back and they won't even let them in the Miss America pageants.

A palantir would be useful but the internet works just as well.

And a ring of invisibility isn't much use to someone who doesn't know when to shut up.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Sep 20 2013, 4:36pm)

Sep 20 2013, 4:42pm

Post #6 of 31 (343 views)
(*scratches head*) I thought you already had one... [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Brethil on Sep 20 2013, 4:42pm)

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

Sep 20 2013, 4:53pm

Post #7 of 31 (354 views)
I'd have to pick the cloak [In reply to] Can't Post

Not that I'm into clothes or anything. In fact, that's why I picked it.
  • Goes well with all kinds of outfits - armor, ranger garb, Hobbit outfits. No need for more than one cloak.
  • Keeps you warm and dry
  • Lets you blend into the background if need be (hey, I've got teenagers - got to spy on them somehow!)
  • Grey is kinda my color

Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2013, 5:01pm

Post #8 of 31 (335 views)
ONE?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't be absurd; I have at least a dozen, more if you count wooden practice weapons. But they're all different, and none of them glow blue when orcs are around.

Although my lightsaber could if I turned it on around orcs, so technically...

I just want more, OK? They're cool!

Grey Havens

Sep 20 2013, 6:02pm

Post #9 of 31 (344 views)
cloak [In reply to] Can't Post

As much as I desire a bow of the Galadhrim, being only 5 foot tall, the darn thing would likely be as tall or nearly as tall as me! I also seriously doubt I could draw it (at the moment 35 lb draw weight is my max).

So, I gotta pick cloak. I can use it now, and I can shorten it if need be.

Palantir- not much use if there isn't another one.

Mallorn seed- can't have tall trees in the backyard.

Glowing sword- don't have orcs nearby, and telemarketers can be screened with phone ID.

Horn of Gondor- would be useful in pissing off my nosy neighbors who are always criticizing my lawn (hey, my husband can't help it if it has been raining every day off/come home early enough to do it work day this past three weeks, and I can't very well leave my 1 and 4 year old inside alone for an hour while I do it), however I don't want my 4 year old to get it at 6 am....

Phial of Galadriel-have flashlights, and (HOPEFULLY) no giant spiders!!!!

Ring of Invisibility- well, you couldn't pay me with ALL the treasure in Middle-earth, not even a Silmaril, to DARE touch the One Ring! Though it would be tempting to use whenever I want to have two minutes of quiet and hide from my girls when they're whiny....but still..

So cloak it is!

Sep 20 2013, 9:28pm

Post #10 of 31 (303 views)
The phial [In reply to] Can't Post

I absolutely need this thing! There are tons of spiders where I live, and the phial would definitely come in handy.

Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 20 2013, 9:59pm

Post #11 of 31 (307 views)
And for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always wanted a mallorn of my own.

Sep 20 2013, 11:01pm

Post #12 of 31 (303 views)
I voted palantir. [In reply to] Can't Post

On the assumption/hope that it could go back and see history. That would be cool.

Sep 21 2013, 12:14am

Post #13 of 31 (294 views)
a mallorn seed though [In reply to] Can't Post

with drought conditions have to hope there really is magic.

Na Vedui

Sep 21 2013, 12:50am

Post #14 of 31 (308 views)
Elven cloak [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd go for the cloak - useful both out walking and in a chilly house - and practically does the job of the ring of invisibility without any risk of being pursued by a Ringwraiths and going around talking to one's Precious.

The rampant garden slugs would get the Mallorn before it was two inches high.
Don't need the phial particularly, as I don't mind spiders for being spiders, so to speak, and we don't have poisonous ones here (so far - cross fingers).
I would be a bit of a liability with a bow - "Sorry sorry sorry, I'll pay for the window!".
The sword would be toooo tempting ("I've got a little list, And they'd none of them be missed")
The Horn of Gondor - not fair to my lovely neighbours
The Palantir? Hmm, maybe - but you never know who else may be looking...

Werde Spinner

Sep 21 2013, 1:27am

Post #15 of 31 (279 views)
I've always wanted a cloak! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh Laugh Laugh Reminds me soooooo much of that scene in Ranger's Apprentice 10: Halt's Peril where Horace is given a Ranger cloak. He says, "Oh, boy. I've always wanted one of these." Then he puts it on, starts sneaking around, and asks the Rangers every so often, "Can you see me now? ...Can you see me now?" They are not amused.

That would *totally* be my reaction if I got a Galadhrim cloak! I could then sneak around even better than I do now! Plus, it'll keep you dry, warm when you're cold, and cool when you're hot. The pretty green leaf-brooch is a bonus.

Of course, a phial might also be useful. We've been dealing with an infestation of brown recluse spiders for quite some while. The spawn of Ungoliant just won't go away. Sticky traps can only hold them at bay so long. Must call in Hobbits armed with Elven daggers...

A sword? Doubt I could lift it. It'd be as big as me! Same goes for the bow. A palantir? I'd be too afraid of who might be on the other end, and I'm not of the line of Numenor. "Perilous to all are the devices of an art deeper than that which they themselves possess," and all that. Ring of invisibility? Hmm, cloak serves as an adequate substitute for that.

Ethel Duath

Sep 21 2013, 2:05am

Post #16 of 31 (284 views)
Oh yes. I want a whole [In reply to] Can't Post

backyard full, actually!SmileSmile

Sep 21 2013, 5:41am

Post #17 of 31 (271 views)
Galadriel's Phial [In reply to] Can't Post

Best. Flashlight. Ever.

Superuser / Moderator

Sep 21 2013, 6:14am

Post #18 of 31 (264 views)
It would certainly help during power blackouts! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Sep 21 2013, 4:59pm

Post #19 of 31 (263 views)
The Horn of Gondor would make a good wake up call... XD [In reply to] Can't Post

One of Thranduil's barrels of wine would do for me, I think...
Hm... no, that won't work.

Probably Thorin's sword or Faramir's bow and arrow Sly

Sep 21 2013, 5:39pm

Post #20 of 31 (260 views)
I chose... [In reply to] Can't Post

Other because I would love to have my own of any of these but I would really love to have Anduril! The real one mind you, not some knock off. Sorry King Elessar. Unsure

Sep 22 2013, 8:53pm

Post #21 of 31 (276 views)
Gosh, you know, this is harder than I first thought... [In reply to] Can't Post

I will cross of the Pallantir, because I think my iPad works almost as well as that does.

I have several flashlights, so I think I'll cross of the Phial, although the one in the movie is really beautifully shaped.

I think, in the end, I'll go with a seed of the Mallorn tree. Beautiful trees are always a joy for me to see. It's probably the reason Fall (or Autumn for all you Brits) is my favorite season. I could never live anywhere where the seasons didn't change, despite my hatred of winter's snow.

Sep 23 2013, 2:58pm

Post #22 of 31 (222 views)
Phial [In reply to] Can't Post

not just because it glows, but because I love beautiful glass objects.

A mallorn seed would be second fav. Wouldn't turn down the cloak.

No weapons. I've never owned one, not starting now. (Unless you count a Doberman or a German shepherd as a weapon.)

Sep 24 2013, 2:25am

Post #23 of 31 (217 views)
Oh most definately the cloak [In reply to] Can't Post

I would really love the cloak!

Palantir- ,didn't really appeal to me.

Mallorn seed- I would probably accidentally kill it. I am a terrible gardener

Glowing sword- Hm. This was a toughy. I would absolutely love it! But sibs wouldn't keep their paws off it.

Horn of Gondor- No real use for it.

Phial of Galadriel-I am notorious for losing flashlights. Although it would be epic to have the light of a Silmaril!

Ring of Invisibility- I wouldn't want to touch it... I desire no power. Me in a position of power would be a disaster :P

So cloak it is!

Sep 24 2013, 3:07am

Post #24 of 31 (200 views)
Enjoy your cloak Rosie! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wise to give the ring a miss...!

And Welcome! Smile

Sep 24 2013, 1:20pm

Post #25 of 31 (183 views)
Ah, but Rosie... [In reply to] Can't Post

the thing about the mallorn tree seed is that even terrible gardeners, like me and like you say you are, could still grow it. That's part of the magic--it's like an aspidistra (cast iron plant). You can't kill it--just put it in the ground and its own power does the rest.

Refresh my memory--what does the cloak do except blend in with the surrounding colors to render you almost invisible? That would be nice, but I think my use for it would be rare.

Welcome, Rosie, and stay with us. Thankfully, not everyone has to have Sam's skill in the garden to be very welcome here, or I would have had to leave long ago.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.