Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The choreography of Azog and Thorins last duel

boldog
Rohan

Sep 22 2013, 12:24am

Post #1 of 11 (945 views)
Shortcut
The choreography of Azog and Thorins last duel Can't Post

Sorry for another post, I have to get this off my mind now.
how to you believe the fight sequence will take place between the two? their fued is going to heavily emphasised throughout the trilogy, so in having the final duel, we should really see them let their hate out at eachother.
so how can the sequence be though? could it be fast paced like Anakin vs Obi-wan? could it be very realistic like Archilles vs Hector from troy? could it be a quick battle like Aragorn vs Lurtz? Or could it be a cut in and out duel like The witchking vs Eowyn?
Personally I like to see the fight really flesh out and take some time. there was a recent theory that it may be undertaken in erebor itself which I like. they could hide from eachother, then jump out and whatever. And I do pray that azog fights with a sword rather than his mace, so that thorin and him can have an equal match.

Either way I believe that this fight, if pulled off well, could go down in history as one of the best one on one duels in a movie.
so what do you all think??????

"fingolfin looked up in grief to see what evil morgoth had done to maedhros"

LordotRings93
Rohan

Sep 22 2013, 12:50am

Post #2 of 11 (415 views)
Shortcut
Really hope it's drawn out for a good 10 minutes [In reply to] Can't Post

I know some will groan at that, but I like long fight sequences, especially one on one duels. A quick 30 second fight won't settle it for me, nor 5 minutes. The hate between these two deserves a good whop of time to really flesh it out for a final climactic sequence. I'm hoping for an Anakin v. Obi-Wan type fight.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 22 2013, 1:21am

Post #3 of 11 (406 views)
Shortcut
do THIS in your Head? Bdog...Play the most [In reply to] Can't Post

OUT of thisWorld
Howard Shore Score
behind it.

PJ&HS won't let us down.

"I feel it in water..."

Bomby
(WHO? Izzz... everybody's Best Friend)

Peterthorn of Rohan
Rivendell

Sep 22 2013, 6:33am

Post #4 of 11 (370 views)
Shortcut
Although I think Azog will be killed by either Legolas or Tauriel... [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hope that there will be a 5-minute battle between Thorin and Azog. But the problem is where will this battle happen. It cannot happen in Mirkwood, nor in the Barrels out of Bond sequence, Lake Town has a minor possibility, so I think it will take place(if it happens) in the Battle of the Five Armies. The dwarves come out of the gates, after killing some orcs, Thorin sees Azog, Azog attacks him, Thorin kills him, and then Bolg and his guardians attack Thorin to take revenge for his father's loss.

Elskidor
Rohan

Sep 22 2013, 7:47am

Post #5 of 11 (318 views)
Shortcut
No clue [In reply to] Can't Post

It's always possible that Dain may kill him too. As much history as Thorin and Azog have I think they will fight until death though. Maybe an epic battle that gets intermissions for other people's screen time, so it also appears longer than it is. This will probably also mark the death of Thorin. He will die from the wounds, but come out the victor.

I'd love a long underdog VS the big bad fight though. Connor Macleod VS Kurgan, but with much updated movie magic, lol.

Shagrat
Gondor

Sep 22 2013, 8:34am

Post #6 of 11 (318 views)
Shortcut
No chance [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas or Tauriel killing Azog would be completely idiotic and something no one wants to see. I know Jackson may go overboard with these characters but surely he knows to have them kill Azog would be a disaster. It'll either be Thorin, Dain or Beorn.

Peterthorn of Rohan
Rivendell

Sep 22 2013, 9:03am

Post #7 of 11 (297 views)
Shortcut
I would hate that too... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tauriel or Legolas killing Azog. But we all know how much Peter Jackson loves his dear elves. There are already rumors that Tauriel and Legolas might kill the spiders in Mirkwood and take Bilbo's moment of braveness, which is a distinguishing moment in the book. So Pj(who has done extraordinary job in delivering the books until now) might want his elves to shine instead of Thorin. But I have faith in him and I hope the elves don't have a big part in the upcoming films.

Hamfast of Gamwich
Rivendell

Sep 22 2013, 9:12am

Post #8 of 11 (312 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure it will be a one on one for it's entire duration [In reply to] Can't Post

So whilst it could take 10 minutes, I imagine Fili, Kili and Dain will also be involved in it.

My theory is that Azog and Thorin will start fighting, Azog will be on top, Fili and Kili will get involved and be killed by Azog, Thorin will go crazy at the this point and him and Azog will both mortally wound each other , then Azog will be about to finish Thorin off and Dain will step in and kill Azog, allowing Thorin a more dignified death. This would give Thorin a heroic last stand with Azog but also allow Dain an opportunity to endear himself to the audience as a deserving king.

I also think others would suggest Beorn will be involved but I hope he has a seperate fight with Bolg elsewhere in the battle.

"Durin's Heir you may be, but even with one eye you should see clearer. If this is victory, then our hands are too small to hold it. We will not enter Khazad-dum. You will not enter Khazad-dum. Beyond the shadow of the gate it waits for you still: Durinís Bane. The world must change and some other power than ours must come before Durinís Folk walk again in Moria.Ē

Old Pilgrim
Rivendell

Sep 22 2013, 1:59pm

Post #9 of 11 (226 views)
Shortcut
I like your idea very much [In reply to] Can't Post

because it would be the only fitting for Dain to kill Azog as in the book. Not just because Tolkien himself wrote so but also because the new king should be worth of his titel while Thorin could also revenge Azog by nearly defeat him. If BOFA will take about 45 minutes than max 20 minutes will be enough for me to watch this epic duel because there is so much more in this battle. It should be happening near the end and the waste halls of Erebor would be the perfect place for it. Fili, Kili, Dain and of course Azog and Thorin should be all involved but Beorn has no place in this one.

He may be fighting Bolg or other orcs but his role shouldn't be exaggerated.

Arandir
Gondor

Sep 22 2013, 4:34pm

Post #10 of 11 (224 views)
Shortcut
But ... but ... *spoilers* [In reply to] Can't Post

Fili and Kili NEED to make their stand alongside a mortally wounded Thorin - at least, to me that has always been the essence of this last stand trinity - the nephews going to the aid of their uncle.

Having Thorin avenging his nephews might not have the same impact as the other way round.

Then again, the rest of your theory is very much interesting! (though I confess I'd rather they get rid of Azog first and make their stand against Bolg - to keep it more in line with the book) Smile

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

kjeevah
Bree

Sep 24 2013, 11:07pm

Post #11 of 11 (62 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I totally agree. Azog and Thorin fight, Thorin is mortally wounded, Fili and Kili step in, both get killed. Then at the last moment, just before Azog finishes off Thorin, Dain steps in and saves the day.

If anyone has read the wheel of time books, picture Azog as having a similar presence as Demandred in the final battle in the last book, with all the various heroes going up against him and failing. That's the same kind of picture I have in my head.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.