Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Remember this picture?

Silwen_Peredhil
Rivendell

Sep 21 2013, 12:36pm

Post #1 of 20 (1471 views)
Shortcut
Remember this picture? Can't Post

Link to Image

This image was in the very first trailer of The Hobbit. It is a lovely shot of the landscape similar to shots in LOTR. I like the way it shows the company as small figures in a vast world and I was wondering where this scene might fit into the films. The first trailer came out when it was still two films so there are two possibilities. The first is that it is a scene while the company are travelling between the Shire and Trollshaws and therefore might appear on the AUJ EE. The second possibility is that the scene takes place between leaving Beornís home and Mirkwood in DOS.

So what do you think? Extended scene or Desolation of Smaug?

What's this? A Ranger caught off his guard?

Lost Hobbit
Rivendell

Sep 21 2013, 3:26pm

Post #2 of 20 (686 views)
Shortcut
More likely... [In reply to] Can't Post

...this takes place before they reach the Trollshaws. Since after meeting Radagast they find out the ponnies have been lost/stolen. ;)
Now the second version. The landscape. Well I think, based on the view from Carrock they will mostly travel in plain places (before they reach Mirkwood) - not as high as these hills. It also confused me how quickly it all gets cut to their staying at the hill where the Azanulbizar story is told. It certainly needed more natural landscape footage.

cats16
Valinor

Sep 21 2013, 3:29pm

Post #3 of 20 (653 views)
Shortcut
Sadly... [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel like it may have been left on the cutting room floor. Hopefully it makes the EE. But it does seem pre-Trollshaws to me. My guess is that it is an extension of the shots we saw after Bilbo joins the Company. Gandalf is narrating during this segment (and it ends with the extreme wide shot of the green valley).

I'd love to see it though. It looked great in the trailer.

Edit: Although your second possibility is of course still plausible. I'd be quite happy if you were right.

(This post was edited by cats16 on Sep 21 2013, 3:30pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 21 2013, 4:15pm

Post #4 of 20 (575 views)
Shortcut
I *think* this is a landscape in AUJ Silwen [In reply to] Can't Post

The spot where the stone ends is I *believe* the curved, downward path where the dialogue 'You were born to the rolling hills and little rivers of the Shire...' is voiced over the scene by Gandalf.

I could be wrong (of course) but that is what the cap and path at the end of the rock line looks like.

Lovely still of the Company.

Smile

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Sep 21 2013, 4:27pm

Post #5 of 20 (533 views)
Shortcut
Plausible Theories here, Silwen! [In reply to] Can't Post

It could be more of the "Home is behind you, World is ahead" scene (I remember listening to track 8 [the little tune - perhaps of a combination of 'The Dwarf Lords' and 'Bilbo's Theme' - from 2:02 onwards] and seeing the film at the cinema and thinking, 'Hey, where's the rest of the music!?').
Maybe it fits in there... somewhere... Laugh

There's fourteen ponies, which could perhaps suggest the Desolation of Smaug after they have been to Beorn's house (they seem to be somewhere up high so it could be whilst they are on their way to Mirkwood)...

Interesting...

I hope we all get to find out soon!

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.
I can ask no more than that."

...... ~ Thorin Oakenshield

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Sep 21 2013, 4:47pm

Post #6 of 20 (506 views)
Shortcut
From Shire to Trollshaws [In reply to] Can't Post

There are (to my eye) two pieces of evidence: (1) there are 4 white ponies, the same number as when the company leaves the Shire; (2) one pony near the end of the line appears to be carrying the large cooking pot.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Shagrat
Gondor

Sep 21 2013, 5:03pm

Post #7 of 20 (485 views)
Shortcut
That theme [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems to be some kind of 'Edge of the Wild' theme, so it dominates that track. It always appears in tandem with the 'Misty Mountains' theme, suggesting it was intended to act as an alternating main theme for the company on their journey. However, both instances of it were removed from the final film. As such, it remains to be seen if we'll hear it again.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2013, 5:31pm

Post #8 of 20 (467 views)
Shortcut
i hope it makes it to the EE [In reply to] Can't Post

its a great shot!

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Sep 21 2013, 6:49pm

Post #9 of 20 (451 views)
Shortcut
its auj [In reply to] Can't Post

i am 99% confident. sorry for poor grammar-baby sleeping on me and forced to type one handed.

i agree with someone above-that looks like when they head down the path.

also, in DOS they use beorn's ponies, and i remember someone posting a while ago-or maybe it was a story on the news feed on torn-that there were some gorgeous black and white ponies with long hair and white manes and tails that were supposedly the ones beorn lends them, and these ponies in the shot are definitely not those beauties.

the only other time we should see ponies is in the desolation after laketown, and it isn't that green, plus at that point its winter.

i hope this shot makes it into ee-its a breathtaking shot

Race is meaningless. We all bleed red-no matter who or what we are. What matters is the heart. For each race has those with good hearts and those with bad hearts. You have a good heart. You do not deserve to die.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 21 2013, 8:14pm

Post #10 of 20 (414 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it is ... [In reply to] Can't Post

This shot leads into this shot.

The sequence can be seen here.

Smile

Old Pilgrim
Rivendell

Sep 22 2013, 2:15pm

Post #11 of 20 (253 views)
Shortcut
Who knows [In reply to] Can't Post

but I more inclined that this scene is from AUJ and will be show in EE. The countryside is similar to that between the Shire and Trollshaws while between Beorn's home and Mirkwood shouldn't be so high hills or no hills at all.

Silwen_Peredhil
Rivendell

Sep 23 2013, 4:12pm

Post #12 of 20 (180 views)
Shortcut
If it's from AUJ could it be before here... [In reply to] Can't Post

Link to Image

I've thought of a scenario. Supposing camera shows Radagast going to Dol Guldur, camera rises to show the fortress and then scene changes to the image from the trailer (the one I posted up)?.

Perhaps the camera pans around to reveal mountains in the distance and Bilbo asks if that's the Lonely Mountain, (since he has never seen mountains before) to which one of the dwarves or Gandalf corrects him and points out that they are the start of the Misty Mountains and that the Lonely Mountain is still miles away. I can't help feeling that would be a nice reference to the book as Bilbo does ask this when he sees the Misty Mountains for the first time.

Silwen_Peredhil
Rivendell

Sep 23 2013, 4:17pm

Post #13 of 20 (154 views)
Shortcut
I hope so too. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hopefully it makes the EE.

I agree it does look like a scene before Trollshaws. If it is I would love it if it makes the EE. It is such a lovely shot of the landscape. Smile

Silwen_Peredhil
Rivendell

Sep 23 2013, 4:29pm

Post #14 of 20 (153 views)
Shortcut
I think so too [In reply to] Can't Post

It does look a lot like that path, so it could be from the scene you suggested. There is a very strong possibility that it fits in here. I hope the scene makes an appearance somewhere. Smile

Silwen_Peredhil
Rivendell

Sep 23 2013, 4:34pm

Post #15 of 20 (150 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

It is possible it's from here. I agree about the soundtrack that there is an extra piece of music, so it could fit in there. I actually really like that part in the soundtrack. It would be nice if it found its way into the film. Maybe this scene from the trailer would solve that. Smile

Silwen_Peredhil
Rivendell

Sep 23 2013, 4:37pm

Post #16 of 20 (148 views)
Shortcut
Nice observation!// [In reply to] Can't Post

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Sep 23 2013, 5:49pm

Post #17 of 20 (152 views)
Shortcut
Brilliant! I think you've cracked it, Silwen! [In reply to] Can't Post

Stop digging, you've just stuck gold, madam!
(Excuse the pun - tricks of Erebor coming into my speech there! Laugh)

That idea sounds logical to me - and that would be a great chance for Bilbo to ask about the "Lonely Mountain" ( when someone contradicts him and says it's merely the Misty Mountains). Ooooh, I could so picture how irritated Thorin would be at the Hobbit's lack of awareness of the world outside the Shire.

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.
I can ask no more than that."

...... ~ Thorin Oakenshield

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 23 2013, 7:11pm

Post #18 of 20 (133 views)
Shortcut
I made a little diagram Silwen... [In reply to] Can't Post

comparing the two views. Not sure if its an exact match but it looks very close...that curved bit of rock seems very similar, though the scale in the shots is different.

(Can you tell I'm home sick with time on my hands?) Laugh

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

cats16
Valinor

Sep 23 2013, 7:13pm

Post #19 of 20 (129 views)
Shortcut
Didn't see it like that before! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice work. Smile

I think the trees below look similar as well. As you say, the scale is different. But now I'm seeing what Silwen is saying.

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 23 2013, 7:59pm

Post #20 of 20 (129 views)
Shortcut
Thankee Cats! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.