Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The siege of Erebor

The Mitch King
Rohan

Sep 19 2013, 11:32pm

Post #1 of 8 (630 views)
Shortcut
The siege of Erebor Can't Post

I've been wondering about the men and elves' siege of Erebor. Perhaps someone could refresh me a little. Isn't it two "armies" that siege... what?....13 or 14 people? I'm wondering how this might look in film. In the book they block off the main gate or something(is this correct?) but its huge in the movies soooooo.....

It would make more sense if Dain came first in the movies IMO. Anyone else wondered about this scene?

thorinoakenshield
Rivendell

Sep 20 2013, 10:43am

Post #2 of 8 (248 views)
Shortcut
I think you mixed up [In reply to] Can't Post

The Battle of Five Armies with the Siege of Erebor. The battle of five armies will be in the hobbit, though I am not too sure about the siege of Erebor. The siege takes place during the War of the Rings, I believe fought against Easterlings. The BOFA is during the Hobbit with Lake Men, elves, and dwarves, against Goblins and wargs.

Arandir
Gondor

Sep 20 2013, 11:49am

Post #3 of 8 (229 views)
Shortcut
I believe The Mitch King is referring to *minor spoilers* [In reply to] Can't Post

The "siege" that takes place prior to the BOFA, where the Elves and Lake-town men declare the Mountain besieged and the whole "bargaining" of the treasure ensues.

The arrival of Dain's army is the one that breaks the siege and leads to the titular battle.

In the films, I'm really hoping they keep the siege element for the necessary buildup. Although it might seem somewhat impossible for 13 dwarves to hold and fortify the gate, Im pretty sure it's doable - not to mention that these are dwarves!Smile

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

(This post was edited by Arandir on Sep 20 2013, 11:50am)

DjU
Lorien

Sep 20 2013, 12:00pm

Post #4 of 8 (201 views)
Shortcut
No confusion [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The Battle of Five Armies with the Siege of Erebor. The battle of five armies will be in the hobbit, though I am not too sure about the siege of Erebor. The siege takes place during the War of the Rings, I believe fought against Easterlings. The BOFA is during the Hobbit with Lake Men, elves, and dwarves, against Goblins and wargs.

He hasn't mixed anything up, the siege is a key component of the plot, prior to the BotFA. The men of Laketown and the Elves of Mirkwood march on Erebor to get the treasure. When Throin refuses, they effectively lay siege to the Mountain. Until Dain arrive and it all threatens to kick off.

It's the whole reason all the forces are together when the Orcs and Goblins arrive.

Yes there was also another siege of Erebor which was technically part of the "Battle of Dale" during the War of The Ring

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 20 2013, 6:28pm

Post #5 of 8 (144 views)
Shortcut
Besieged in the sense that [In reply to] Can't Post

they cut them off from getting any supplies. They didn't intend to attack them, the intent was the dwarves would eventually have to give in because they would run out of food and supplies:

"Since such is your answer," he called in return, "I declare the Mountain besieged. You shall not depart from it, until you call on your side for a truce and a parley. We will bear no weapons against you, but we leave you to your gold. You may eat that, if you will!"

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Sep 20 2013, 6:37pm

Post #6 of 8 (139 views)
Shortcut
The hidden door was the only way in. [In reply to] Can't Post

But we saw the main gate and its not just huge... it's heavy... at least before Smaug crushed it. I still wonder why Balin said that it was closed. I wonder because there was no gate left. But obviously it was so the only way into the mountain was the hidden door. So the 13 Dwarves may stand on the balcony over the gate (the same from the prologue). It might be too high even for Legolas or Bard to shoot an arrow at the Dwarves.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Sep 21 2013, 2:14am

Post #7 of 8 (91 views)
Shortcut
Exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

No one actually wanted to fight, so the siege was more of a stand-off. The point about the dwarves was that they can be extremely stubborn so, although they would have inevitably lost (without reinforcements), they thought they could delay things for a bit, until Dain arrived. Plus, by this time, Thorin wasn't thinking straight and the others stuck by him out of loyalty rather than wisdom.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 21 2013, 10:24am

Post #8 of 8 (90 views)
Shortcut
Maybe he meant 'closed' in the sense... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that they can't use it because of the dragon inside. Therefore it's closed to them. It would have to have remained physically open to allow Smaug to come and go, or he'd have starved.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.