Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It''s International Book Week!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2013, 9:37pm

Post #26 of 54 (202 views)
Shortcut
maciliel answer [In reply to] Can't Post

"out flew a red-golden dragon -- not life-size, but terribly life-like; fire came from his jaws, his eyes glared down; there was a roar, and he whizzed three times over the heads of the crowd."

absolutely +no-one+ is going to guess +this+.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2013, 9:40pm

Post #27 of 54 (198 views)
Shortcut
i stumbled over that as well [In reply to] Can't Post

i stumbled over that as well, magpie. i didn't quite understand what "past the 5th sentence" meant, so i counted five sentences, and posted the next one.

then i re-read the original post -- and it says "post" the 5th sentence.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 20 2013, 9:48pm

Post #28 of 54 (196 views)
Shortcut
dernwyn changed it [In reply to] Can't Post

It had been a typo that said 'past' when we first read it.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2013, 10:54pm

Post #29 of 54 (188 views)
Shortcut
"The fictional romance of Mars continues, . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

but the true romance is (albeit, as yet, problematically) in the future."

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 20 2013, 11:24pm

Post #30 of 54 (182 views)
Shortcut
'In the House of Love'? [In reply to] Can't Post

I Googled around for it - but I have not read it.

Do I still get my 10 points? LaughWink (If that's it)

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Na Vedui
Rohan

Sep 21 2013, 12:09am

Post #31 of 54 (185 views)
Shortcut
Mine is... [In reply to] Can't Post

9 - 2 - - - 3 -1

Any guesses?

sevilodorf
Gondor

Sep 21 2013, 12:11am

Post #32 of 54 (171 views)
Shortcut
"You know about the Maudit issue"// [In reply to] Can't Post

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Sep 21 2013, 12:41am

Post #33 of 54 (214 views)
Shortcut
"Meanwhile you will of course... [In reply to] Can't Post

...take the obvious precaution of seeing that this new development induces him to spend more than he can afford and to neglect his work and his mother."

(wasn't near a book so I picked one that might be guessed)

Na Vedui
Rohan

Sep 21 2013, 1:11am

Post #34 of 54 (175 views)
Shortcut
Is that... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Screwtape Letters?

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Sep 21 2013, 1:25am

Post #35 of 54 (168 views)
Shortcut
Yes, yes it is! Although I think it might rain later. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Na Vedui
Rohan

Sep 21 2013, 1:38am

Post #36 of 54 (167 views)
Shortcut
At your service, O Balin son of Fundin! [In reply to] Can't Post

I must read "Screwtape" again; it's been too long. Thanks for the reminder of it.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Sep 21 2013, 2:05am

Post #37 of 54 (159 views)
Shortcut
"Use micropipettes to remove samples of the reaction mixture at the following times: 15, 30, 60 and 120 seconds." [In reply to] Can't Post

It was my organic chemistry lab book... If I had picked up my textbook instead, the sentence would have read: "Another way to predict acid-base reactivity is to remember that the product conjugate acid in an acid-base reaction must be weaker and less reactive than the starting acid and the product conjugate base must be weaker and less reactive than the starting base."

Ohhhhh, did you mean a book that I'm reading for fun? Crazy Ain't nobody got time for dat. Still have prelab notebook work to do... Unsure

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Kim
Valinor

Sep 21 2013, 2:29am

Post #38 of 54 (173 views)
Shortcut
let's see [In reply to] Can't Post

9 - Dwalin, Balin, Kili, Fili, Nori, Dori, Ori, Oin, Gloin

2 - Thorin, Gandalf

3 - Bifur, Bofur, Bombur,

1 - Bilbo

Laugh

Nunilo
Bree

Sep 21 2013, 4:01am

Post #39 of 54 (154 views)
Shortcut
"One could feel the old man's capacity for endurance." [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm moving very slowly through this book (this author does love his words!) Laugh Hooray for International Book Week!

(This post was edited by Nunilo on Sep 21 2013, 4:10am)

Angharad73
Rohan

Sep 21 2013, 7:33am

Post #40 of 54 (155 views)
Shortcut
Interesting... [In reply to] Can't Post

"At El Bodon, heard that Don Carlos D'Espagna, with his Spaniards, was in advance on the Salamanca road and that our cavalry were gone to the rear."

sherlock
Gondor

Sep 21 2013, 3:33pm

Post #41 of 54 (132 views)
Shortcut
"Still, you are right" [In reply to] Can't Post

Any guesses?Tongue

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Sep 21 2013, 4:49pm

Post #42 of 54 (122 views)
Shortcut
"Father has other pawns to put on the board."// [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.
I can ask no more than that."

...... ~ Thorin Oakenshield

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2013, 8:54pm

Post #43 of 54 (112 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't think of Google. It makes a lot of things so mich easier!

Sure have sone points for ingenuity.

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 21 2013, 9:17pm

Post #44 of 54 (132 views)
Shortcut
Hooray (*claps*) Point is points... [In reply to] Can't Post

Silly competitive self happy now. Thanks Rem. SmileWinkLaugh

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Na Vedui
Rohan

Sep 22 2013, 1:27am

Post #45 of 54 (118 views)
Shortcut
No... [In reply to] Can't Post

.... But that's very ingenious!

Asclepias
Rivendell

Sep 22 2013, 3:03am

Post #46 of 54 (93 views)
Shortcut
Exceedingly late, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

The home page for the National Federation of Paralegals Associations contains information about paralegals and legal assistants including ethical guidelines for the profession.

cats16
Valinor

Sep 22 2013, 3:28am

Post #47 of 54 (111 views)
Shortcut
I suppose I'm not late if it's for the entire week... [In reply to] Can't Post

"At the farther extremity of a narrow, deep cavern in the rock, whose length appeared much extended by the perspective and the nature of the light by which it was seen, was seated the scout, holding a blazing knot of pine."

Terazed
Bree

Sep 22 2013, 2:29pm

Post #48 of 54 (90 views)
Shortcut
Why did the sentence have to be longer then most paragraphs [In reply to] Can't Post

"But the conjunction of representations into a conception is not to be found in objects themselves, nor can it be, as it were, borrowed from them and taken up into the understanding by perception, but it is on the contrary an operation of the understanding itself, which is nothing more than the faculty on conjoining a priori, and of bringing the variety of given representations under the unity of apperception."

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Sep 22 2013, 9:48pm

Post #49 of 54 (76 views)
Shortcut
"In an interview, Hoffman said while the corps did not wear cadet-style uniforms anymore or have inspections, they still pressed their pants and polished their shoes." [In reply to] Can't Post

Had it been the second-closest book to hand, the sentence would have been:

"He mentioned his own 'philosophy,' i.e. the case against illustration, in a 1961 letter to Pauline Baynes, but thought that there was 'a case for illustration (or decoration!) applied to small things' (Letters 312)."

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

FantasyFan
Rohan

Sep 23 2013, 12:41am

Post #50 of 54 (63 views)
Shortcut
Wow! What does that mean? [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a mouthful and no mistake. Mine sounds more appetizing: "Serve in stemmed glasses with a slice of lime."

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.