Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Planning a Bilbo and Frodo Birthday Party this Sunday- any suggestions?

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

Sep 20 2013, 9:31pm

Post #1 of 16 (210 views)
Shortcut
Planning a Bilbo and Frodo Birthday Party this Sunday- any suggestions? Can't Post

I'm just brainstorming here - I've got 7 to feed including 3 teenagers. I think we might have sparklers (Private fireworks are illegal in Maryland), maybe some games, lots of food and music.

Main course food: Stew, meat pies, cheese (I have a nice wheel of cheddar), Po-ta-toes, nice crispy bacon, mushrooms, apples, pickles, scones, hot soup, corn (although I wonder which "corn" this refers to, Corn as in maize or corn as in grain),

(hmmm... we may be eating all day)

Dessert: Apple tarts/pie, Blackberry tarts/pie, mince pies
Drink: Wine, ale, mead, cider for the kiddies (note to self: need to dig out my pints)

Games: hmm... still thinking.... Ooooh, I have a horse chestnut tree - we could play conkers!

Music - suitable Irish/English/Scot fiddle tunes

Any ideas would be most welcome (with recipes attached naturally)

~ Dame Ioreth, who is now polishing her silver spoons and rummaging in her trunks for extra doilies

“Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 20 2013, 10:03pm

Post #2 of 16 (163 views)
Shortcut
there have been some other threads on this subject [In reply to] Can't Post

although it would be hard to track them down, I suppose.

here's one: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=570038#570038

here's another: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=464112#464112

I would also suggest looking at pinterest:

http://www.pinterest.com/...ns/?q=hobbit%20party

and maybe the Happy Hobbit video series: http://www.youtube.com/user/TORnHappyHobbit

I really think we should have a stable document with these ideas since we get this request every once in awhile.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

TolkienOtaku
Rivendell

Sep 21 2013, 5:44am

Post #3 of 16 (132 views)
Shortcut
This sounds awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

No recipe ideas right now, but I'll get right on it.

I won't forget the promises we exchanged
I close my eyes to affirm it
I will shake off the overwhelming darkness to move forward

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2013, 1:16pm

Post #4 of 16 (121 views)
Shortcut
For "games" - the characteristically Oxfordshire game of Aunt Sally [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Sally is a pub game played in Oxfordshire, and a biT in the neighbouring counties.
Simple game to understand: you have a short post and place a skittle (or similar object) on it. Players throw sticks at the skittle to try and knock it off. It's a foul if you hit the post. If you haven't got any sticks to throw, balls would be fine. If you haven't a post, put the skittle On a stool. If you haven't got a skittle, the target was originally a doll or perhaps a chicken: it's a game well used to being adapted to local conditions.

Drinking beer whilst playing is traditional, but not compulsory. And it doesn't help your aim at all.

Wikipedia has a fuller set if rules, and history http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aunt_Sally

You could try the Gloucestershire game of rolling your cheese down a hill and chasing it, but this will probably spoil your cheese…

Have a good party!

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2013, 1:46pm

Post #5 of 16 (125 views)
Shortcut
Anglo-American differences [In reply to] Can't Post

"Corn" in an older British recipie most likely means wheat: maize tends to be called "sweet corn" or "corn on the cob" if you're going to eat it off the cob. Which is too nice a thng to do to let historical nitpicking stop you.

Or, if you wanted to do something involving "corn" in the British sense, it is pretty quick to make soda bread (it's unleavened, so there's no rising time )
e.g http://www.bbc.co.uk/...irishsodabread_67445

You could also try Cotswold Dumplings (made from cheese, egg and breadcrumbs) http://recipewise.co.uk/...ire-regional-recipes

Thinking of British/American language differences, "Cider" (your proposed drink for the kids) can't be what it is in West Country England (where it is fermented apple juice, typically 7% alcohol or more)! In Gloucestershire during my mum's childhood it was known as "tanglefoot" - you can imagine why!

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

(This post was edited by noWizardme on Sep 21 2013, 1:47pm)

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

Sep 21 2013, 2:41pm

Post #6 of 16 (119 views)
Shortcut
Sausages! [In reply to] Can't Post

How could I forget sausages!

...and the dumplings sound yummy too. I have a wonderful recipe for soda bread that I use all the time. I'm still deciding between soda bread and scones (not because it's accurate for an evening meal but just because I love scones Wink ).

Yes, the cider I referred to was not the alcoholic version. We have both here too, but the word refers (usually) to the just-pressed apple juice. I can tell it's fall when I drive down a certain country road and smell the cider being pressed. Although I have seen the affects of the other kind and tanglefoot is a very accurate name!

Thank you for the games. I think those will be fun! (except rolling the cheese down the hill. My sons just cut the grass....) Too bad we don't have any of the authentic West country cider - that would make those games even more interesting!

This is just what I've been looking for!

(This post was edited by Dame Ioreth on Sep 21 2013, 2:42pm)

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2013, 3:11pm

Post #7 of 16 (113 views)
Shortcut
Danger, cider! And more recipies [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my teachers was billeted in a West Country pub during World War II An American military base was nearby. The entertainment which the GIs found for themselves included seeing if they could persuade newly-arrived comrades to down a pint of the local cider in one go. I guess that confusion over what "cider" might be would have helped them in this sneaky trick.

The young man who was to become my teacher used to help get the victims home. With a wheelbarrow, on occasion.

Suggest +not+ trying this at your party.

Sausages a good idea though. Traditionally with mashed potatoes, and onion gravy http://www.jamieoliver.com/...e=sticky-onion-gravy
Or, fry the sausages lightly,to brown them, then put in a baking tray with Yorkshire pudding batter and bake to make the curiously-named but delicious Toad in the Hole http://www.bbc.co.uk/.../toadinthehole_83871

Yorkshire pudding is indeed the Entlish lembas.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Sep 21 2013, 3:12pm

Post #8 of 16 (108 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit Games [In reply to] Can't Post

If the weather is nice and you have enough space out-of-doors, some Hobbit-type games would be very appropriate. Hobbits seem to prefer games involving throwing and shooting: Lawn-bowling, horseshoes, lawn darts, etc.; several are mentioned in The Hobbit in the chapter "Flies and Spiders".

Don't forget music & dancing! Fireworks as permitted by local statutes and state law.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2013, 3:46pm

Post #9 of 16 (108 views)
Shortcut
Mushrooms! Can't get more hobbit-y than that [In reply to] Can't Post

Grilled or fried with that bacon. Or stuffed?

Did I say "Entlish lembas"? Well I am tall, & feeling a bit wooden headed today…

Magpie
Immortal

Sep 21 2013, 4:01pm

Post #10 of 16 (108 views)
Shortcut
a possible substitution for fireworks [In reply to] Can't Post

...if they aren't allowed... and even if allowed, this could work in the party...

if you have a laptop, load a bunch of firework pictures from the net into a folder and run the slideshow option - choosing fade transitions. Just let it run in the background somewhere.

I know it's not nearly as exciting but it's something. You could look for videos but I suspect that's a more laborious task - since a lot won't be suitable for some reason. But you can create a YouTube playlist for them and then start the playlist. This would require net connectivity while playing on YouTube where as the photo slideshow can run anywhere you can run your laptop.

(and these days, some people have set ups to run slideshows of photos on their tv... )

You could also consider certain tracks of the movie soundtracks - especially if you have the Complete Recordings.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2013, 4:17pm

Post #11 of 16 (103 views)
Shortcut
Laptop firework substitution [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a good idea, Magpie.
It reminds me that ITunes has a "visualizer" which is quite firework-y. So you could have that going if you're using the computer for music (you don't have to be using iTunes for the music : you can have spotify running in the background and the visualizer responds to it.

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

Sep 21 2013, 4:29pm

Post #12 of 16 (101 views)
Shortcut
I love that idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

Fireworks on the computer! And we have enough iPods (with 3 teenagers or course we do) floating around to do both the fireworks and the music.

It looks like we will have rain tomorrow afternoon/evening so we may have to curtail some of the outdoors stuff. This is just fun with my family of 7 so we are flexible. We do this kind of thing all the time - Olympics, National Pi Day, National Grilled Cheese Day, and the more mundane holidays like St.Patrick's day, Valentine's Day... Talk Like a Pirate Day flew by this year without me making a single ships biscuit though (without the maggots). I vow to do better next year.

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

Sep 23 2013, 6:06am

Post #13 of 16 (80 views)
Shortcut
Party was a success! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you to all who gave suggestions for our Hobbit Day party!

We had rain most of the day so instead of the games I had planned, we watched FOTR (yeah, I know. Awwww...). We did have some rousing Irish fiddle music and fireworks on the computer.

Here are a few photos:

Table set with all our goodies. (The "toads" all popped out of their holes but it was still good!)

My hubby's over-full plate (No I am not trying to become the Widow Ioreth!)

A good time was had by all!

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Sep 23 2013, 10:17am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 23 2013, 10:20am

Post #14 of 16 (79 views)
Shortcut
It sounds like [In reply to] Can't Post

nothing was able to "rain" on your party! Laugh And when better to allow a bit of over-indulgence, than at a Hobbit party? Smile

I'm glad it went well! How many did you have attending?

(Oh, I fixed the link for your second picture, there was an extra "http" in it. Tongue)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

Sep 23 2013, 11:30am

Post #15 of 16 (75 views)
Shortcut
Just hubby and most of the kids [In reply to] Can't Post

We couldn't get our college art student home. She is studying for her GRE (going on for her MLS) and had to work (She works in book store that specializes in first editions. I know... I have to tamp down a "squee"-type reaction every time I visit.)

So six in all. I made enough for leftovers for 2 days... or one with teen-aged boys. Cool

(Thank you for fixing the link. I feel like a novice again here. I have to re-figure out all the buttons)

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Sep 23 2013, 6:37pm

Post #16 of 16 (82 views)
Shortcut
Most proficient-looking toads, Ma'am // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.