Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Favorite Scenes

Peterthorn of Rohan
Rivendell

Sep 20 2013, 10:56am

Post #1 of 18 (683 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Scenes Can't Post

Which was your favourite scene in Auj and which do you think it will be in Dos?
Personally
-Auj:Goblin Town Escape/Riddles in the Dark
Dos:Bilbo vs The Spiders/Bilbo and Smaug

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 20 2013, 1:58pm

Post #2 of 18 (345 views)
Shortcut
Riddles [In reply to] Can't Post

It towered over the movie and is one of the best scene in all 4.

Can't say which one would be my fave in an unseen movie. They could elevate a scene I never cared about before (Lighting of Beacons, one of the best scenes in all 4 movies, absolute wonder to behond, not so much in the book ) or botch the one I was looking forward to (Witch King Slaying had terirble execution, nothing worked and it was completely, 100% trounced by the iconic Arwen chase/Arwen at the Ford, while the scene was so surprising and memorable in the book).

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Tauriel saved us from Itaril. Never forget.

Elessar
Valinor

Sep 20 2013, 2:00pm

Post #3 of 18 (340 views)
Shortcut
Just one? [In reply to] Can't Post

There are tons of scenes I really liked. For the sake I'll just pick one that I enjoyed quite a bit. I loved seeing Erebor and Dale. Amazing looking places. :)

Semper Fi
Rohan

Sep 20 2013, 2:55pm

Post #4 of 18 (327 views)
Shortcut
I'll add Misty Mountian Song to the list [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin's baritone (huge mistake to use another voice for official credits song) and how it transitions into Hobbit theme is just beautiful.

"RadagaStoner deserves no mercy!" Tauriel the Radagast Slayer, the Chief of Inglorious Elfguards

Tauriel saved us from Itaril. Never forget.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Sep 20 2013, 3:02pm

Post #5 of 18 (327 views)
Shortcut
There are so many to chose from... [In reply to] Can't Post

I particularly enjoyed the following amongst many others:

- Bilbo and Gandalf "Good Morning" exchange
- Balin and Thorin discussing the necessity of reclaiming Erebor
- Bilbo's quiet moment of realization and decision to join the quest
- The White Council (particularly the scenes between Gandalf and Galadriel)
- Riddles in the Dark (AWESOME!)
- Bilbo's speech to the company of why he chose to come back and rejoin the group in Out of the Frying Pan, Into the Fire
- The Eagles rescue and soaring through Middle Earth
- Smaug opening his eye.

I truly enjoyed the whole thing and don't have any complaints but these are moments that make me happy inside every time.

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

(This post was edited by Owain on Sep 20 2013, 3:02pm)

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Sep 20 2013, 4:50pm

Post #6 of 18 (292 views)
Shortcut
It's hard to narrow it down, [In reply to] Can't Post

but one I really enjoy is when Fili, Kili, and Dwalin come roaring out to assist Bilbo in defending Thorin's body...and then the Eagles come!

As for DOS, I'm looking forward to Barrels Out of Bond, although it looks like it will be more drama and less humor than in the book. But I can deal with that, as long as Thorin is there. Angelic

"It was just a sword, beautiful in the way of a weapon, with the jewels in the hilt set in gold scrollwork, and the blade glimmering and eager, as if it would fight of itself. Weapons are named for this; some are eager fighters, some dogged, some unwilling; but all are alive."--The Hollow Hills

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Sep 20 2013, 5:36pm

Post #7 of 18 (272 views)
Shortcut
It has to be [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwalin eating the fish head..."Got any more?

KS

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Nuradar
Rohan

Sep 20 2013, 6:16pm

Post #8 of 18 (260 views)
Shortcut
Hard to name just one [In reply to] Can't Post

but I'll try to keep my list short...

• "Good morning" exchange between Bilbo and Gandalf
  • Balin telling Bilbo (and Fili and Kili) the story of the fall of Azog at the hands of Thorin
  • the moonlight table at Rivendell
  • the escape from the goblin's tunnels
  • Tree/Eagle rescue scene (out of the frying pan and into the fire). LOVED this scene, even more than Riddles in the Dark. Yes, I know, hat's a blasphemous statement around here.

Kim
Valinor

Sep 20 2013, 6:50pm

Post #9 of 18 (259 views)
Shortcut
Any scene [In reply to] Can't Post

with Thorin in it Tongue

But seriously, Misty Mountains Cold was my favorite from the beginning.

As for DOS, I'd say...any scene with Thorin in it Wink I'm looking forward to the barrels and am ok with the lids off - the better to see Thorin, and his hair.Laugh

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Sep 21 2013, 12:54am

Post #10 of 18 (212 views)
Shortcut
Didn't we just do this one?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps not. Anyway, for me an easy first place goes to the sparks going up and out of the chimney - possibly the cleverest shot of the film also - I could write an essay on it, but you'll be glad to hear I'm not going to.

The next film - it's got to be the glimpses that Bilbo's party get of the 'magical' feasts being held in the forest, that keep disappearing when they stumble in, in search of help. It needs to come across as beautiful, somewhat magical and slightly sinister and unattainable to outsiders - which is done nicely in the book, before the more down to earth and real depiction of the wood elves after they capture the dwarves. That will need a delicate touch from the director to get right - they managed it in the Lothlorien scenes in FOTR, helped by depicting the members of the fellowship as being slightly under the influence of the place. They could do that in Mirkwood too, as Thorin's company will be half-starved and semi-delirious by that point, so the wood elves' feast would probably seem like a hallucination to them after the darkness of Mirkwood.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

Elskidor
Rohan

Sep 21 2013, 3:11am

Post #11 of 18 (184 views)
Shortcut
Lots [In reply to] Can't Post

The intro with old Bilbo telling the tale of Smaug

Just about any scene with Balin, Thorin and Azog

Balin telling the tale of Azog

Bilbo's speech after riddles and all the way until Smaug opens his eye

Liked Riddles alright, but I'm noticing that scene seems extremely popular on this message board so far.

Heck, I just thought the entire movie kicked ass.

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Sep 21 2013, 3:30am

Post #12 of 18 (183 views)
Shortcut
Anything at Bag End, TA 2941 [In reply to] Can't Post

Primarily...

- Good Morning
- Dwarves' Arrival
- "Not in your books and maps"
- Misty Mountains song
- Bilbo finding the contract in the morning

cats16
Valinor

Sep 21 2013, 3:27pm

Post #13 of 18 (146 views)
Shortcut
Agreed fully on Owain's list... [In reply to] Can't Post

With Riddles being close to my "top" of the list. Oh gosh, I don't know. I like them all, for different reasons. Probably why it's hard to answer the "which chapter from the book is your favorite?" questions.

For DOS, I'll just speculate and say Beorn's home and Bilbo/Smaug will be my favorites. But that's subject to change the opening credits start rolling.AngelicWink

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Sep 21 2013, 4:47pm

Post #14 of 18 (132 views)
Shortcut
Samerz! *high fives* [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the Misty Mountains Cold song/scene just captured me the moment I heard/saw it! Smile

Seeing his hair soaking after the Stone Giants scene in AUJ made me yearn to see him in the barrel scene even more soaked - oh, just thinking about it... I can't take it anymore! Why do we have to wait until DOS comes out at the cinema!?

Make way for the Majestc Thorin Oakenshield Hair Fanclub, everyone!

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.
I can ask no more than that."

...... ~ Thorin Oakenshield

Noria
Rohan

Sep 21 2013, 6:24pm

Post #15 of 18 (134 views)
Shortcut
Misty Mountains Song is one of my top favourites. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have many, many favourite moments from AUJ but if Iím selecting just one, it would be the Misty Mountain Song. Beautiful to look at and beautiful to hear, the scene also encapsulates much of what the movie is about. Terrific!

I have to agree about they missed a great opportunity when they didnít have Richard Armitage sing the song over the credits. I quite like Neil Finnís rendition of the Misty Mountain Song but it would have been much more powerful if Armitage had done it. I remember an interview in which Armitage said that he was a trained singer and had to kind of dial it back for that scene. It would have been great and I can only hope that heíll get to sing another, equally great song in DoS or TaBA.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Sep 23 2013, 7:44am

Post #16 of 18 (79 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's hair. [In reply to] Can't Post

What? That wasn't a scene unto itself?

Okay, any scene with Thorin's hair. Which be extension usually means Thorin too. That comes to a fair lot of scenes. Don't make me choose just one!

Favorite scene-to-be in DOS? See above. Cool Or -- wait -- there just may be one scene even better than that. At the start of DOS: the Dwarf bathing scene. C'mon, it's canon, it's *got* to be in there!

(This post was edited by Roheryn on Sep 23 2013, 7:47am)

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Sep 23 2013, 4:54pm

Post #17 of 18 (66 views)
Shortcut
:( [In reply to] Can't Post

As much as I would love to see the fluffy bathing scene with the *real* dwarves (as in, if their statures and everything were for real, though have certain not-so-family-friendly parts strategically covered) I think it would scar our imaginations for life should we see them bathing in those fat suits!

Yipes! ShockedPirate

Have you seen the newest vlog with the exercise video? It's hilarious! But it would bring to mind what their fat suits look like in execution.....

Though I suppose they could cgi their, ahem, bodies over the fatsuits.....

but then we would end up with people in arms whining about MORE cgi....

one can dream though!

We should probably find an excellent artist to draw out the scenes for us! There's an idea! Cool

Race is meaningless. We all bleed red-no matter who or what we are. What matters is the heart. For each race has those with good hearts and those with bad hearts. You have a good heart. You do not deserve to die.

Na Vedui
Rohan

Sep 23 2013, 10:56pm

Post #18 of 18 (59 views)
Shortcut
Bathing scene [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a nice, funny (and discreet) version here: http://www.flickr.com/...3012@N04/9079261076/
Might need to copy and paste the link into your browser.
Poor Bilbo doesn't look at all happy!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.