Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
LOTR and The Hobbit illustrated hardback editions (and related) questions, advice requested

malickfan
Rohan

Sep 19 2013, 6:37pm

Views: 222
Shortcut
LOTR and The Hobbit illustrated hardback editions (and related) questions, advice requested Can't Post

Hi All, I realise this has probably come up many times before, but I was wandering whether anyone could give me any advice on LOTR and T.H illustrated hardback editions, and a few other related questions (sorry there isn't really anyway to make this seem an exciting subject)

My paperback of LOTR (2007 One Volume 'Red Book' edition):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/...379612601&sr=1-2

is getting rather battered, and I was looking at getting a hardback as a replacement, preferebly the illustrated one volume by Alan Lee:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/...379612601&sr=1-2

I greatly enjoyed Alan Lee's work in COH, and elsewhere complementing the story beautifully...However, it does generally seem to be on the pricey side (I don't mind buying used) and I'm not sure I can justify spending that much on a possibly unecessary replacement, especially a potentially unweildy one.

With the large weight of the paper, would it be more liable to wear and tear along the spine? (My paperback is rather bent for similar reasons), are the one volume Hardback's of LOTR in general comfortable to hold or read?-I have little trouble with the One Volume's of the HOTH and HOME but the paper in these volumes was much thinner, and I doubt they will get the wear and tear the LOTR has been subjected to in my far too frequent re-reads, so would you reccomend a hardback (illustrated on otherwise) as a primary replacement? or should I simply invest in another paperback?

-I know these are rather straight forward questions, but with the large amount of LOTR editions available I'm at a bit of a loss where to start, I personally own very few hardbacks (or books for that matter) so I'm not too sure of the pros and cons or size of such volumes-any help you guys and gals can offer would be greatly appreciated.

As for The Hobbit I don't currently have a (non-annotated) copy (!) and I am split on the following two as a replacement:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/.../ref=tmm_hrd_title_7

http://www.amazon.co.uk/.../ref=tmm_hrd_title_5

Price for me is not a problem in this case, both editions look great (although I'm not too sure of the thick paper the Caitlin editon is printed on) and I'm sure to order one or the other, but I have a further question that I can't seem to find an answer to:

My old copy of The Hobbit had a 'note on the text' (I think, it's been a while since I gave it away) and the First Chapter of Fellowship of the Ring printed (along with a few of Tolkien's illustrations) in addition to the main text-it's not a selling point to me I was just wondering whether ayone could clarify these as common to all editions of The Hobbit?, it's rather hard to tell from browsing on Amazon but they seem to limited to special 'aniversary editions', also in hardback

And at the risk of causing pandemic boredom to break out on the board I have two final (I promise) unrelated questions:

Bilbo's Last Song, do the hardback:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/.../ref=tmm_hrd_title_0

and paperback

http://www.amazon.co.uk/...olkien/dp/0099439751

contain the same content?-I have yet to purchase a copy (love the poem) but I'm not entirely sure whether the two share the same lyrics or illustrations...

Finally, has anyone read 'Exploring JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit' by Corey Olsen? I hear nothing but good things, and was very intrigued by the notion of a critical book focussing soley on the hobbit (would it make a nice companion to my new hardback?) but having read The Annotated Hobbit, The History of The Hobbit and several more 'scholary books' on Tolkien (e.g. The Road to Middle Earth) without sounding too arrogant, I'm woried that the 'entry level' style of the book may not interest me much as I've already read the story so many times.

I realise that is alot of boring questions (I've noticed it's a trait of mine...sorry...) that are probably much simpler to solve than I think, so please don't think I'm taking advantage of the forum, but this seemed like the best place to ask (I'm still really a Tolkien novice) and any opinions and help you guys and gals can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Smile

I don't have much to say.

Subject User Time
LOTR and The Hobbit illustrated hardback editions (and related) questions, advice requested malickfan Send a private message to malickfan Sep 19 2013, 6:37pm
    Personally, I am not a fan Voronwë_the_Faithful Send a private message to Voronwë_the_Faithful Sep 19 2013, 8:36pm
        Thanks for the reply Voronwe malickfan Send a private message to malickfan Sep 20 2013, 6:21pm
    My favorite book of 'Hobbit' criticism squire Send a private message to squire Sep 20 2013, 12:34am
        Thanks for the reply, squire. malickfan Send a private message to malickfan Sep 20 2013, 6:27pm
    my advice elostirion74 Send a private message to elostirion74 Sep 20 2013, 1:50pm
        Thank you for the advice. malickfan Send a private message to malickfan Sep 20 2013, 6:41pm
            Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of that one, either Voronwë_the_Faithful Send a private message to Voronwë_the_Faithful Sep 21 2013, 8:09pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.