Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Have PJ/Walsh/Boyens responded to any of the criticism of AUJ?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

frodolives
Lorien

Sep 18 2013, 6:20pm

Post #1 of 59 (1481 views)
Shortcut
Have PJ/Walsh/Boyens responded to any of the criticism of AUJ? Can't Post

With AUJ receiving a fair amount of criticism from critics, fans, and viewers alike, I'm wondering if PJ, Walsh, or Boyens has responded to any of it?

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2013, 6:23pm

Post #2 of 59 (859 views)
Shortcut
No and they won't [In reply to] Can't Post

It would come across as defensive.

frodolives
Lorien

Sep 18 2013, 6:29pm

Post #3 of 59 (797 views)
Shortcut
Not necessarily [In reply to] Can't Post

They have addressed criticisms of LOTR quite openly and have never sounded defensive to me.

DanielLB
Immortal

Sep 18 2013, 6:33pm

Post #4 of 59 (755 views)
Shortcut
Is there any need to? [In reply to] Can't Post

They don't respond to the support for the film, do they? All films (not just The Hobbit) are constantly praised *and* criticised. I think it's better for them to just get on with the film, and do the best they can. If they responded to praise/criticism all the time, it would likely impact the final product (which could be good ... or bad ...) Wink

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Sep 18 2013, 6:37pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2013, 6:34pm

Post #5 of 59 (789 views)
Shortcut
Maybe they will address some things in the SEE commentary... [In reply to] Can't Post

But not before.

It's not their duty to justify their decisions.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Sep 18 2013, 6:37pm)

frodolives
Lorien

Sep 18 2013, 6:40pm

Post #6 of 59 (743 views)
Shortcut
Indeed no [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But not before.

It's not their duty to justify their decisions.

Certainly not, but it is interesting. The director's commentaries on the LOTR EE's are very interesting in this regard. Boyens, in particular, addresses Faramir's changes, Aragorn's cliff diving, and so on. Its a fascinating insight into the thinking that went into the projects. I hope the commentaries on AUJ do the same.

demnation
Rohan

Sep 18 2013, 6:41pm

Post #7 of 59 (716 views)
Shortcut
Don't think so.... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I don't think they should have to. I'm not the biggest fan of some of the changes they made to LOTR or The Hobbit, buy they shouldn't have to justify themselves to anyone.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

frodolives
Lorien

Sep 18 2013, 6:47pm

Post #8 of 59 (693 views)
Shortcut
I'm not suggesting they need to justify anything [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
but I don't think they should have to. I'm not the biggest fan of some of the changes they made to LOTR or The Hobbit, buy they shouldn't have to justify themselves to anyone.

I'm not suggesting they need to justify or defend anything. I'm interested in their insight behind decisions, especially ones that haven't gone over well.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2013, 6:48pm

Post #9 of 59 (746 views)
Shortcut
I generally get the impression that they're ignoring/not aware of the criticisms this time around... [In reply to] Can't Post

At least, that's what I gathered from a DoS teaser containing digital doubles, CGI stunts, big "hero" moments for Raddy, Azog, Legolas and Tauriel, and yet no dialogue for Bilbo/Thorin and one line for Gandalf. TongueSmile

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 18 2013, 7:15pm

Post #10 of 59 (683 views)
Shortcut
Why should they? [In reply to] Can't Post

Their job is to make the films as well as they can, in the way that seems best to them. They have to trust their own judgement and, being professionals, that's what they do.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2013, 9:30pm

Post #11 of 59 (609 views)
Shortcut
They have to be aware... [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ got bashed in a way that the 3 LotR films never did (even though some of the same criticisms could have easily applied), and even casual or non-fans were plenty aware of that fact. I highly doubt Jackson and Co. are that oblivious to the world around them.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2013, 9:34pm

Post #12 of 59 (611 views)
Shortcut
I'd say yes, and no. [In reply to] Can't Post

They cannot respond verbally, as that would take TOO much time, but they might graze the forums and reviews for ideas.

I can see a brainstorming session structured around it

"They liked 'this' and not 'that'. OK can we use 'this' and/or drop 'that'?"

Ultimately, it is all up to them, but I cannot see them totally ignoring us.

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 18 2013, 9:53pm

Post #13 of 59 (587 views)
Shortcut
But who is 'us'? [In reply to] Can't Post

There's no consistent view, here or anywhere else. And it is worth remembering that AUJ was a box office success.

demnation
Rohan

Sep 18 2013, 10:03pm

Post #14 of 59 (568 views)
Shortcut
Sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't mean to sound confrontational. I was speaking generally, not really you specifically.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

TheDragonKhan
The Shire

Sep 18 2013, 10:16pm

Post #15 of 59 (591 views)
Shortcut
peter jackson is not going to alter his films to pander to stupid critics [In reply to] Can't Post

if i ever found out pj has done anything to DOS (shorter runtime limiting appendices material or compromised his GENIUS in any way) i wont see the next two films peter jackson artistic vision needs to be realized

(This post was edited by TheDragonKhan on Sep 18 2013, 10:19pm)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2013, 10:34pm

Post #16 of 59 (543 views)
Shortcut
A good question..... [In reply to] Can't Post

And a good thing to bear in mind.

They probably stroll the fan boards once and again, but for inspiration, not story material. As to critics, you cannot ignore them, but it has to all be taken with a grain of salt.

When I want advice, I ask, ask blend the best parts of all opinions, but keep it relevant as to what is 'right' for me. I imagine that they do something similar.

You cannot please everyone, and I do not want them to try.

Voronw_the_Faithful
Valinor

Sep 18 2013, 10:36pm

Post #17 of 59 (548 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty sure ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that they just search for your and my posts to see what we think, and ignore all the rest. Angelic

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2013, 10:41pm

Post #18 of 59 (552 views)
Shortcut
AMEN [In reply to] Can't Post

My first LOL moment of the fall. Crazy

Welcome to the boards, Mr Jackson.

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Sep 18 2013, 10:45pm)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2013, 10:44pm

Post #19 of 59 (566 views)
Shortcut
His reaction to the cinemacon 48 fps criticism [In reply to] Can't Post

sounded defensive to me , as i recall it.

But really, that would be the job for some journalists or interviewers to accomplish...

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Sep 18 2013, 11:03pm

Post #20 of 59 (527 views)
Shortcut
LMAO [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 19 2013, 12:15am

Post #21 of 59 (508 views)
Shortcut
Now WAIT... just ONE minute...Bomby wants [In reply to] Can't Post

UP
... on that Pedestal
You put Yourselves
on..
I got here FIRST...

45 years ago?

Bomby may be CUT
.. from PJ's Movies?

but PLEASE...DON"T me CUT
OUT
of HERE? (Does AGE count for Anythin' anymore?)

Bomby(sans Goldberry)

TheDragonKhan
The Shire

Sep 19 2013, 12:26am

Post #22 of 59 (487 views)
Shortcut
lol but seriously [In reply to] Can't Post

i hope pj doesnt do a thing bout auj criticism i want to see the film he wants me to see not a ruined hackjob to pander to critics

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Sep 19 2013, 12:55am

Post #23 of 59 (492 views)
Shortcut
There's "aware" and then there's "comprehension". [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps should have used the later word, but it's certainly possible PJ is in a bubble of "Jacksoness" and he, Fran, Philipa ETC write-off criticism of AUJ as "whinging". That's what being in charge of a self-sufficient/contained film industry can do; you don't really have to consider other opinions. Perhaps he is technically "aware", but the commentary from detractors either doesn't penetrate, he doesn't get their stance, or he just doesn't care. Hence, the DoS teaser which highlighted most of what people didn't care for in AUJ, and which PJ must have signed off on even if he didn't initiate the teaser himself (and rumors of other things such as Azog getting an even more expanded role in DoS, and so on).

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Sep 19 2013, 12:57am)

TheDragonKhan
The Shire

Sep 19 2013, 1:15am

Post #24 of 59 (474 views)
Shortcut
this movie msde one billion dollars and was loved by all the hardcore fans [In reply to] Can't Post

the great peter jackson does not have to alter his masterpiece for anyone

Bombadil
Half-elven

Sep 19 2013, 1:22am

Post #25 of 59 (461 views)
Shortcut
Bomby wantzz.. to know why some people think PJ is some kinda DICTATOR/Directer? [In reply to] Can't Post

He has Staff meetings all the time,

Whole Committees dedicated to a
single aspect of the Finished Film...

What does he do?

Throw everyone's
opinion on the Floor
and Stomp on it?

Doubtful...
Since Everyone
Loves working for PJ?

1500+ people are having the time of their LIFE!
Realizing THEIR Dream, TOO!

WORLD-CLASS,
.. in the History of Cinema,
YEARS from NOW...
The Production CREW,
will miss their Time
under PJ's WATCH
He/Fran/& YES! Phillipa, TOO
are the Greatest thing
that could EVER happen
to the Only Un-Spoiled Country
left...

Bomby's is sick to death
of PJ/PB BASHING!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.